Author Topic: AAA Solution?  (Read 12588 times)

Description:

Reply #30:
 February 04, 2020, 03:12:15 PM
I am a recovering AAA hockey dad. My son experienced AAA for a year and I got out for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Most parents think their kids are better than they actually are and always want their kids to play at the highest level.  It’s like AAA is a badge of honor. Before, I just thought AAA was for the best players. Sorry to say it’s for those who want and can afford it and dedicate traveling all over the place. I’ve seen teams with maybe 1 or 2 quality players with rest just fill players to cover the costs. Some teams don’t have any real AAA players. Every month it’s a new organization going AAA - Phil Hockey Club, Palmyra, Revolution. Maybe 1 good team with rest barely AA quality. As long as parents are willing to pay, its only going to get worse.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #31:
 February 04, 2020, 03:26:00 PM
The first step to being a recovering AAA hockey dad is to realize your son is not going to the NHL or will get a full ride college scholarship.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #32:
 February 04, 2020, 05:37:24 PM
It isn't necessarily about beatdowns and beating a team by 7 goals the big problem, it's the watering down of the highest level of youth hockey.

Growing the sport is great, but diluting the elite level is not good for the for the growth of the sport.  Bigger(growth) does not always mean better!

Does that help kids enjoy the game more? The kids should enjoy playing regardless.  I know the elite level kids would enjoy close, tight, good competitive games more.

Does it give kids more opportunity to develop? You develop your skills in practice, lessons, etc...  You also develop against good competition.

Once we solve the T1 issue then we can focus on the beat downs for the thousands of kids in Tier 2.  It would make AA level stronger again like it used to be.
travel hockey is a waste of time and money.  the same outcomes could be accomplished without traveling all over the state/region.  But, there are enough a-holes such that the status quo will never change, only get worse.  how much money do you spend, as a team, traveling around, staying in hotels, etc, etc, etc.  how much more could your kids get out of hockey if those dollars were directed toward real development or localized play.  oh, there is not enough talent for little jimmy to be challenged?  f you.  move to canada.

Outside of T1 where the travel is completely out of hand, how many T2 teams are "staying in hotels" more than once a season? I'd say 75-80% of T2 teams do either none or 1 trip that requires a hotel stay. What's the harm in that? 

As Guest #25 said, (minus the fU part) most do at least 2 but often do as many as 4. This isn't including the supplemental showcase leagues. This is a pretty accurate reference, (link below) for financial expectations for each playing level. Tuition for tier ll club normally starts around $1,800 give or take based on age group. and can wind up being as much as $7,000 after final calculations when the season is complete. Tier 1 vs Tier ll Hockey A to Z - More Bang For the Buck?

What tier 2 teams are playing 4 travel tournaments in a given season? I can't imagine that more than a handful in this whole area are doing that. I'll stick by last post that 75% are only traveling once a season.  I have no data to back that up other than what I have seen over the years with all of my sons teams and knowing what other friends teams have done.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #33:
 February 05, 2020, 10:11:27 AM
I know of almost no Tier 2 team that only does 1 tournament. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #34:
 February 05, 2020, 10:34:17 AM
This topic is getting some activity.

How Many Tournaments Do Your Teams Play Per Season?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #35:
 February 05, 2020, 10:35:12 AM
My kid plays A hockey, but to me there is a big difference between A/AA and AAA players.  Sure there may be one or two kids on AA that can replace a AAA players, but overall the skating, speed, IQ, etc. is better at AAA...don't kid yourself.  But, obviously only a small fraction of those AAA players will play in college and smaller in the nhl...but your odds are essentially 0 if you play AA...sorry but you are just invisible at that level...
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #36:
 February 05, 2020, 11:08:35 AM
I know of almost no Tier 2 team that only does 1 tournament. 

The conversation on tournaments was based on ones that require travel/hotel stay. The original poster was complaining about the money people spend on these things and claimed that teams were doing 4 travel tournaments. I pushed back that the majority are only 1 travel. And of course most are doing at least 1-2 local ones.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #37:
 February 05, 2020, 12:24:39 PM
well they ruined pee wee quebec as well, pretty easy anymore to get your kid on team. Mostly politics and cash.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #38:
 February 05, 2020, 01:15:41 PM
The prestigious peewee Quebec tournament reserved for only the best teams who can mail a check and send in a registration form.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #39:
 February 07, 2020, 06:22:32 AM
The prestigious peewee Quebec tournament reserved for only the best teams who can mail a check and send in a registration form.
LOLOL
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: