Author Topic: well... here comes hell week!  (Read 10587 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 April 09, 2019, 04:30:47 AM
More importantly, coaching is a volunteer job. Those who put in the time and effort to teach other peoples kids should ALL be commended, NO MATTER WHAT LEVEL OR RESUME!!!!!

To say that a resume is what determines who is what is a crock of shit. Anybody can recruit players and call themselves a success. When players get to AA or AAA midget level they coach themselves. The guy or girl standing on the bench can call him or herself a genius all they want but truth is it's the players on the ice who execute, not the self absorbed ego maniac with the title coach. Have those super coaches try coaching A or B level and watch them suffer miserably.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #11:
 April 09, 2019, 07:11:22 AM
This is 100% truth. Unfortunately there are a fair amount of coaches out there who need the "top" players in the org in order to show success with player development.

Its a sigma in hockey that the "best coaches" are a the top level. Guess who is developing the players to get to the top level? Your daddy coach, your squirt/peewee coach.

You want to see how good a coach is? Go see where the players they coached are placed the next year. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 April 09, 2019, 08:01:09 AM
Coaching levels are a joke!  You pay USA hockey, go to a one day “clinic”, no test, no actual skill training, get your level 1. Repeat for next 3 years and you become a level 4 coach for life.  OnLine training modules are too long and too simple, mostly dealing with basic info.  Level 5 attend a weekend clinic.

If you are looking at coaches, you need to find resumes and real experience that the coaches have, to be able to judge if the coach is really good or just has the papers!

This is a joke right, I guess your kid got cut? Without parents coaching there are no coaches. Congratulations, you posted the dumbest comment on the internet today.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 April 09, 2019, 09:11:18 AM
Coaching levels are a joke!  You pay USA hockey, go to a one day “clinic”, no test, no actual skill training, get your level 1. Repeat for next 3 years and you become a level 4 coach for life.  OnLine training modules are too long and too simple, mostly dealing with basic info.  Level 5 attend a weekend clinic.

If you are looking at coaches, you need to find resumes and real experience that the coaches have, to be able to judge if the coach is really good or just has the papers!

This is a joke right, I guess your kid got cut? Without parents coaching there are no coaches. Congratulations, you posted the dumbest comment on the internet today.

Didn't post this but I guess I gon't understand what is so dumb about this comment.  While I appreciate USA hockey trying to provide training to coaches, I think it is fair to say the levels usa hockey gives to coaches don't mean a whole lot. I've seen as many good level 4 coaches as I've seen bad.  I also think it is fair to say you need to look at a coaches resume and experience when looking for a coach.  Personally I think talking to other parents and players is the best way to find out about the quality of a coach. And maybe I missed something, but I don't see anything in the post about not having parent coaches.  I do however think its pretty dumb when people mock folks about their kid getting cut as a response to any comment on this board, so maybe the dumbest comment award should go elsewhere.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 April 09, 2019, 11:17:57 AM
The kids who work hard under a good coach or program develop and by end of the season they are much better players. The kids who are not working hard usually get worse. These kids have the parents who need to blame the coaches or program for lack of development.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 April 09, 2019, 11:30:18 AM
^^^ Great post!!! ^^^ Nailed it!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #16:
 April 10, 2019, 04:25:49 AM
The funny thing is my son plays Jr A in the EHL and his coaches have no USA Hockey certification, but have coached many years in the USHL and College levels with winning records.

Over the years, I have watched and heard parents and programs talking about coaches. “He’s a good coach cause he is certified level 4 or 5” While that coach has bounced from one rink to another being fired cause of his methods of coaching.

I agree with the original post - certification numbers are meaningless! You need to look at the coaches history and style of coaching! Be it parent or non-parent coach!

USA Hockey is trying to do it best to standardize coaching, but it’s certifying process is design to process large volume of coaches and focused on safe-sports. When my son played squirt, I got my level 1&2, so that I could be on the bench and help open the doors for the kids! The certification process did not perpare me to coach hockey, but allowed me to open doors on the bench.

BTW, all non parent coaches were parent coaches at some time in their life!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #17:
 April 10, 2019, 04:35:52 AM
In my profession, when I hire employees, I always look at resumes! degrees only get you in the door but the resumes and history of experience gets you hired!

The poster/person who said never look at resumes must have never been in a management position nor had to hire employees!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #18:
 April 10, 2019, 11:19:35 AM
The funny thing is my son plays Jr A in the EHL and his coaches have no USA Hockey certification, but have coached many years in the USHL and College levels with winning records.

Over the years, I have watched and heard parents and programs talking about coaches. “He’s a good coach cause he is certified level 4 or 5” While that coach has bounced from one rink to another being fired cause of his methods of coaching.

I agree with the original post - certification numbers are meaningless! You need to look at the coaches history and style of coaching! Be it parent or non-parent coach!

USA Hockey is trying to do it best to standardize coaching, but it’s certifying process is design to process large volume of coaches and focused on safe-sports. When my son played squirt, I got my level 1&2, so that I could be on the bench and help open the doors for the kids! The certification process did not perpare me to coach hockey, but allowed me to open doors on the bench.

BTW, all non parent coaches were parent coaches at some time in their life!

I think it is great your son plays hockey.

Based on USA Hockey

Jr A Tier 1= USHL
Jr B Tier 2= NAHL
Jr C Tier 3 = EHL/NA3HL

Unsanctioned Jr B Tier 2 = USPHL NCDC

Certifications are not meaningless.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #19:
 April 10, 2019, 11:33:31 AM
"my son plays Jr A in the EHL"
This link might help
USA Junior Hockey Leagues

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Blazers U13/U14 Evaluation Change for Next Week

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 2945
Last post April 20, 2019, 02:03:36 PM
by Guest
What the hell is NJYHL doing?

Replies: 13
Views: 15108
Last post August 10, 2019, 10:14:46 AM
by Guest
What's up with Silver Stick next week?

Replies: 16
Views: 4960
Last post September 04, 2020, 09:18:00 PM
by Guest
Why does AAHA hold tryouts a week or two earlier than PVAHA?

Replies: 3
Views: 2975
Last post April 22, 2022, 06:00:33 PM
by Guest