Author Topic: Player shortages everywhere  (Read 4233 times)

Description:

Player shortages everywhere
Topic: May 18, 2021, 09:13:14 AM
Is anybody else seeing the amount of teams in the delaware valley unable to put teams together from 12u to 16u? I know all about the typical drop out rate once hitting starts but tryout numbers looks much different for next season. It looks like the majority of teams are still looking for skaters and goalies and keep extending tryouts. I think this is more of a money issue for the patents than it is normal circumstances for drop out.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 May 18, 2021, 10:27:36 AM
Maybe youth hockey should ask for a federal bailout like everyone else...   Subsidies and free money for everyone!  Plus, I’m confident increased federal involvement in youth hockey would be nothing but a positive...
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 May 18, 2021, 10:34:20 AM
People have come to their senses and decided that they don't want to spend EVERY Fall and winter weekend in an ice rink to watch their kid play below average hockey at best with mostly unqualified coaches, (anybody the rinks can find willing to work for nothing, and is not a CONVICTED sex offender)!

Many found it was nice to have weekends and weeknights free to enjoy life during the pandemic! Not to mention Thanksgiving weekends in beautiful Rochester, New York!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest14333,Guest13694,Guest11876,Guest12376,Guest14808,Guest12755,Guest17303,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 May 18, 2021, 12:09:26 PM
Could be some families want to do other things, but for others paying full price for last year might have turned some off. And then I am seeing career long on one team players getting cut for the newer players trying to come in. Sad
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 May 18, 2021, 10:40:18 PM
We enjoyed doing other sports/activities last fall, for sure. The August - April schedule with crazy tournament schedules is tiring and expensive. And yes, the high risk of head and other injuries is a big turn-off, especially once kids begin realizing around end of middle school that the NHL or even college isn't in their future and they need to get good grades in school and need a whole brain to do it. Let teens who want to develop in hockey, develop, but a shorter competition season would be a blessing. Right now, it overlaps fall and spring sports, and kids are making their decisions. Hockey is a late peak sport and there's no reason for this kind of long-season madness at 14 or 16. By 18U, you know which way the wind blows anyway.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted friendly:
Guest12202,
No reactions

Reply #5:
 May 19, 2021, 07:44:41 AM
There's not a shortage of players...the # of players has gradually increased over the years.  There is an over abundance of teams.  I know people like to think that the better kids drop out once checking starts...but that doesn't happen, in general the good players remain good and the bad players remain bad.  Of course there are exceptions
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12129,Guest19089,Guest13978,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 May 19, 2021, 07:53:01 AM
Our club has mostly teams with 15 skaters. I guess they learned from covid that smaller teams can run into issues with shortages. I agree with the previous poster that the bigger problem is too many teams, especially at Tier 1.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest10849,Guest17454,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 May 19, 2021, 08:49:57 AM
You think 15 skaters is a "big" club? You need that many once Bantam starts if not more. As for why many might not be coming back, it could be loss of income from pandemic factoring in too!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 May 19, 2021, 09:23:13 AM
Too many t1 teams in the area is a drain on the T2. Most of the T1 teams are really a T2 quality with a t1 price and most refuse to play quality T2 area teams. Hmm, wonder why?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest17331,Guest15403,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 May 19, 2021, 09:49:37 AM
From NY to VA it's the same to many teams and there are definitely kids sitting out because of money. Mine are the older one is a goalie and gets a break but we can't afford it either way because my wife has been on furlough for 8 months. Cutting corners isn't easy when it comes to our kids activities but you do what you have to do and they understand.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Air Force Academy Hockey Player Mitch Torrel Lead Thai Cave Rescue

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 8454
Last post August 07, 2018, 01:11:52 PM
by Youth Hockey Info
Sad News - Local Youth Hockey Player Dies in Tragic Skiing Accident