Author Topic: VIDEO: WNYAHL Playoffs Cancelled Due To Racial Slur Investigation  (Read 7078 times)

Description:

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. — The Western New York Amateur Hockey League (WNY AHL) is now telling coaches and Club Presidents that the 18u MOHL playoffs are being canceled for this weekend.

The action follows a complaint by Dr. Darren Brown-Hall, Ed.D about the way his son, Roshaun, was treated during a youth hockey game on January 20th in the Northtown Center at Amherst. During the January 20th game against the Cheektowaga Warriors, Roshaun was called a "monkey" and taunted with monkey-like sounds, said his father.

Roshaun, 17, is member of the Amherst Knights MOHL 18u hockey team and like many of his teammates, he will be graduating high school this year likely marking the end of his competitive hockey career. His father believes this to be one of the main reasons the league put-off his complaint.

“What it looks like to me is that they were stalling, knowing that most of the players on the teams are seniors. So after this weekends playoffs they’re not playing anymore, the season’s over," said Brown-Hall. “Canceling the games is truly unfair to all the players, who played all season long and they want to play in the playoff games.”

Dr. Brown-Hall filed a complaint and was told in early February that the WNY Amateur Hockey League was sending the matter to "a higher governance" with the NYS Amatuer Hockey Association (NYSAHA).

Now nearly two months later, Dr. Brown-Hall said no disciplinary action has been taken and the two teams were scheduled to face each other again during a playoff game this coming weekend.

However, that has now changed after Dr. Brown-Hall talked to 7 Eyewitness News and other media outlets about his concerns.

“I can’t believe it took place, I can’t believe it because it’s 2019," said Brown-Hall.

The WNY AHL notified teams "Due to an ongoing investigation by the West Section of NYSAHA, the results of which will not be determined this weekend, the 18u MOHL Playoffs are cancelled"

Originating Story
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 March 22, 2019, 10:06:22 AM
That's BS all around. Where were the officials? It's an easy call when it's that blatant.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 March 22, 2019, 10:31:21 AM
According to various reports from other news stories following this incident. It wasn't isolated and this type of behavior has been an issue which has gone mostly unattended by league officials for some time. Not particularly racial in most cases but consistent otherwise with unacceptable on ice behavior during and after game play. I can vouch for that too as players do harass each other with vulgarity clear as day during games and nothing is done by the refs. I thought profanity on the ice is supposed to be penalized?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

tree408

Reply #3:
 March 22, 2019, 01:18:11 PM
I thought profanity on the ice is supposed to be penalized?

Rule 601(a) through 601(f) pretty much cover the penalties both minor and match penalties.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 March 22, 2019, 01:25:33 PM
Foul language is never called at the older age groups. Unless it is relentless and toward the ref.  Just wait till you get to junior b.  What is said there is ridiculous.  If USA Hockey wants to fix something that would make a difference, this is it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 March 22, 2019, 01:31:25 PM
Foul language is never called at the older age groups. Unless it is relentless and toward the ref.  Just wait till you get to junior b.  What is said there is ridiculous.  If USA Hockey wants to fix something that would make a difference, this is it.

Not going to change. It's 10x's worse at the pro level. Trading barbs with the other teams players is part of the game. The racial stuff has no place though, that has to be handled with zero tolerance immediately. What happened in this game is pathetic, especially knowing the refs allowed it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

tree408

Reply #6:
 March 22, 2019, 01:52:22 PM
The racial stuff has no place though, that has to be handled with zero tolerance immediately. What happened in this game is pathetic, especially knowing the refs allowed it.

This I agree with.  I could care less about bad language unless it's non-stop or toward a ref / coach but racial or sexist stuff shouldn't be tolerated.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 March 22, 2019, 02:06:31 PM
I agree with both of you to on the racism. No place for it. can't be tolerated. Must be stopped.  I also understand folks think chirping is just part of the game. But I disagree.  Allowing any obvious disrespect of any player, coach, or ref is unacceptable.  Start calling penalties and it will stop.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 March 22, 2019, 02:22:36 PM
Ref's yes, no place and the players should be held accountable and penalized every time. But chirping has and always will be part of the game, zero possibility of ending that. It's human nature regardless of one's personal disposition or character. I've heard kids who are normally the quiet ones off the ice, introverts. They become some of the most outspoken on the ice like a completely different person.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 March 22, 2019, 02:51:23 PM
Think like a kid for a minute. You are told or find out that chirping is ok. Now how do they learn where the line is? Usually when they get plastered against the boards.  It just would be nice if the leagues would put a stop to it before that happens. But they don't so pay backs are the inevitable result... and next thing you know a junior b game breaks out.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Video Captures Controversial Arrest Of Youth Hockey Coach

Started by guestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 16825
Last post April 27, 2018, 01:54:49 PM
by guest
Coaches tape - Game video sharing and instruction