Author Topic: Tier 1 too soon  (Read 7351 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 January 25, 2023, 04:16:24 PM
Just wondering who is paying over 3400 for peewee tier 2 hockey, that's 1200 more than what we pay for 16u tier 2 and we get 2.5 hrs of on ice plus 40min with a personal trainer per week plus some extra preseason ice time . I felt we paid a lot until now, our peewee is 1600-1700 and they get what we get minus the extra 30min of ice time.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #11:
 January 26, 2023, 11:10:05 AM
I have been around a long time and never heard or seen a Tier 1 team stick to a 2 hour travel limit.  Even the teams in Detroit and Boston travel further than 2 hours.   Good luck!!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest18072,Guest16445,Guest16029,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 January 26, 2023, 11:55:26 AM
A lot of rinks cost that or more for even squirts, at least BB rinks.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 January 26, 2023, 12:32:34 PM
Just wondering who is paying over 3400 for peewee tier 2 hockey, that's 1200 more than what we pay for 16u tier 2 and we get 2.5 hrs of on ice plus 40min with a personal trainer per week plus some extra preseason ice time . I felt we paid a lot until now, our peewee is 1600-1700 and they get what we get minus the extra 30min of ice time.

Black Bear rinks are expensive! Jaguars 2022-23 Season Information

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 April 21, 2023, 12:11:21 PM
I'm up in Canada-Ottawa area, and there were several great posts made so far!  My son is 16, playing in his second year of U18AAA.  We never took him to AAA tryouts until he was U16-he made it first try.  For us, AAA doesn't start until U12, even then this was the first year this young for U12.  I think that the US is making better strides in hockey development than in Canada, here, everyone is an expert, most dads of played, excepted they're all stuck in the late 80's or 90's ways of coaching!    #1, keep it fun, don't make it a job.  they play hockey, don't "work" hockey.  #2, in the end, the best overall athlete will be the best hockey player.  This is hard to stick to, as we see the huge participation in year round play.  We never did this-not once.  My kid played a full season of football, a full season of LAX and mostly Academy level soccer.  In the beginning the kids on the ice 12 months a year pulled ahead slightly, but it's all even now!

I figure my son has about 3-4 full hockey seasons "less" hockey than other players, and he's better than most.  Sure we had a couple first round OHL picks come through our team, but those guys were man sized at 15.  Physical development is another thing out of your control, and IF your son has a chance this will come when it does-keep him passionate!

I completely agree that skating and skills are paramount!  We are fortunate to have LOTS of private options, and the money I saved staying AA I put in to development, mostly in the spring when we are between sports.  It's paid off huge on his skating!  We have a PEP private rink not far, and practically live there.  Massive for skill development with the puck in tight areas.

As for the remaining skills, a $4 wooden ball, used at home, almost everyday, is what has made my son have crazy fast hands!  Shooting, well I live rural, and have a big shooting area set up.  He has an OHL level(maybe even better) shot, and it wasn't from some private coach, it was from shooting EVERYDAY!  When he was really young, he would go out for the bus early and shoot while he waited for the bus-EVERYDAY.  Now he's out there at different times, only from just now, until about mid October, otherwise it's to cold.  It's the snap shot and quick release with no cocking of the stick which is key.  Self learnt, I practice to sometimes, and video.  Very cheap, no travel, do  on your own time.  Moral of the story, not everything requires $$$.  He also owns his own commitment and it's not another session that dad drives him to.

I see people doing dryland workouts-unless you're getting in 3 a week, they're worthless.  I'm fortunate to have very well equipped home gym, so no travel, and he can use it twice a week(at best) in season.  That being said for 2 offseasons now, he's a gym rat, and last season from 15-16-he went from 145 lbs to 175 lbs.  That was working out 1 to 1.5 hrs. 5 days a week, off season only.  He also hit puberty!  Working out once a week when you're younger, in season, does nothing other than take time, and make the game feel like work.  My son loves working out on top of hockey now, and he again is responsible for doing his own workouts, not me taking to a trainer.  He gets assessed twice in off season, and given a workout he does on his own.

Keep it fun, focus on skating and skills young, keep travel down(if possible), play other sports, be patient, leave working out until off season when they are older. 

IMHO

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13673,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Hollydell 2018 tier 1 status? Is this happening?

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 8487
Last post May 14, 2018, 09:09:33 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
Educate me on Tier 1 Programs

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 5
Views: 6953
Last post November 21, 2018, 07:46:23 AM
by Guest
Tier 1 vs Tier ll Hockey A to Z - More Bang For the Buck?

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 19
Views: 35493
Last post June 29, 2020, 08:41:10 AM
by Guest
Revolution Youth Tier II

Started by RevolutionBoard Youth Hockey Info Center

Replies: 0
Views: 9141
Last post March 06, 2019, 12:36:45 PM
by Revolution
Revolution Youth Tier ll NEW PRICING!