Author Topic: Black Bear Rink Occupancy  (Read 8028 times)

Description: Black Bear Rink Occupancy

Black Bear Rink Occupancy
Topic: October 07, 2020, 02:11:54 PM
Every PA local rink (non black bear) has already somewhat conformed to occupancy limits set by Wolfe on 10/6 via their website or continues to provide LiveBarn services to its patrons. (Hatfield, Ice Line etc see below in detail)  We all did what was asked by the district, the rinks and emailed and called our reps and helped make some headway with these changes for the rinks and surely us in a selfish way, and BB restricts it further? what was the point?

Word out of BB rinks for this weekend's games is 1 parent per child? That’s 15 or so per team?  For PA limits that are likely in the hundreds?

As a customer this is concerning/disappointing to say the least. Even if you are not a daily customer you likely will be during a tournament or game soon and experience this. You personally may not be impacted but teammates will.

The other rinks noted below should be commended on their clear and concise policies and communication during challenging times and working with their consumers. While also taking their customers thoughts into considerations and that is appreciated.

It’s is surely their choice as they are a private business and can set their own rules so I don’t dispute that point and their right to do so and yes we can speak with our wallets etc. The kids on the ice typically live in the same home as both parents so what exactly is the risk in allowing 2 parents or some make sense variation? In most rinks 2 parents per child is still likely 100 or more LESS people than the 20% cap would allow for by law.

My point here is that in business the business typically needs the customers as well and looks to accommodate it’s PAYING patrons as BEST it can within restrictions. It seems more like laziness to not implement a real plan rather than having an actual plan to execute that is thoughtful. I’m lucky that I have a few non black bear options on rinks for next season for my son and 2 other young kids (boy and girl) that play. Decisions like this (with no explanation after we all pressed for expansion as well) will surely push me to another rink even post covid based on how I have seen them treat patrons to this point and the level of disorganization compared with peers who have the same pressures, just a fast "no" seems easier to them. Seems a bit hypocritical to have asked us to speak up for them and us, then this?

What are your thoughts on black bear rinks apparently not conforming "more" to the PA occupancy limits while at the same time turning off the LiveBarn? Not conforming more to the “legal limits” while having LB off doesn’t seem very customer friendly in any way? With no actual explanation as to why the LB is off? (I’m sure it’s likely legal reasons to this point to protect them) LiveBarn is still off or password protected at the majority if not all of their rinks in PA and has been.

-Hatfield has aligned and LiveBarn on
-Ice Works is open and live barn on for games
-Wintersport is open to patrons (I know it’s closing soon etc)
-Wissahickon has LB is on at least
-Ice Line LB is on and conforming to occupancy per website as of yesterday
-Twin ponds LB is on, no update on occupancy limits.
-Oaks you can watch games on LB at least no update on new policy.
-UPMC in Pittsburgh LB is on, has allowed 1 parent per child per website up to this point even. No update on new guidance.
-Steel ice LB is on no update on new guidance.

Why is Black Bear overly restrictive compared to its competition in PA with occupancy and LiveBarn. They advertise live barn on their web pages but it’s off? When PA moves to 100% capacity will they still continue to restrict their patrons based on personal preference and keep LB off? Thoughts? Again I know it’s a private business so don’t give me the “you can go elsewhere if you don’t like it” angle, this is for discussion to compare their practices to other local businesses we patronize and looking for a discussion, not a political argument. Would be nice to understand their issues as compared to other rinks/the differences in the PA market that similar venues have aligned but BB chooses not to and keep the streaming off?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest15636,

Reply #1:
 October 07, 2020, 02:57:11 PM
Before you complain about being limited to one parent in the rink consider this...you are better off than teams in NJ who are not allowed to play at all.  Try some thankfulness.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest19630,Guest12743,Guest13864,Guest16211,Guest12489,Guest14709,Guest10016,Guest14078,
Guest16392,Guest15229,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest14072,Guest11992,Guest10581,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 October 07, 2020, 03:27:17 PM
Why not ask them?  They have the right to be more restrictive and have made that choice. If that impacts their business, so be it. At least kids are allowed to play and have one parent present.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12692,Guest19621,Guest11599,Guest18440,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest17415,

Reply #3:
 October 07, 2020, 03:28:39 PM
Honestly, a private business can do whatever they want. Even though indoor dining has been back in PA for a while now, I still see plenty of restaurants only doing outdoor dining and take out. Does it hurt their business, sure, but that is what they are comfortable with at this time.

I'm sure BB is just taking it slow to see how things shake out. Honestly, it won't hurt their business all that much. Sure, the club who rents ice time from them might be pissed, but they don't have any other options to get ice. And while you say you will explorer other clubs next year, not many people will do that. They want their kids to play close to home and where their friends play.

Which rinks do they own?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 October 07, 2020, 03:37:09 PM
ALL. OF. THEM. Well they are trying to...
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13449,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 October 07, 2020, 03:51:55 PM
Why is the LiveBarn off? I had that question too? They seem to be the only one off now?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 October 07, 2020, 04:59:12 PM
please ask yourself this one question....Have I asked my child if he or she wants me in the rink to watch..!!
I am fortunate to be on the ice coaching w a couple of different teams.....
I have asked the question ....'how many if you miss having your parents in the rink'.....not one player has said 'i do' ....and in fact one player said the car rides home are soooooo much better.....to which the other players agreed
you pay your fee for your player to attend practice and play games.....
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest17510,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 October 07, 2020, 05:28:44 PM
Honestly, a private business can do whatever they want. Even though indoor dining has been back in PA for a while now, I still see plenty of restaurants only doing outdoor dining and take out. Does it hurt their business, sure, but that is what they are comfortable with at this time.

I'm sure BB is just taking it slow to see how things shake out. Honestly, it won't hurt their business all that much. Sure, the club who rents ice time from them might be pissed, but they don't have any other options to get ice. And while you say you will explorer other clubs next year, not many people will do that. They want their kids to play close to home and where their friends play.

Which rinks do they own?

They will own every rink in lehigh bucks and montco by next year.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 October 07, 2020, 05:46:11 PM
Ok let’s all agree rink makes rules on occupancy. Done. ....no  LiveBarn ?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 October 07, 2020, 05:52:03 PM
I just saw on Twitter black bears will have limited spectators/season ticket holders at their games  (not 1 parent per kid). Just seems kinda one sided when you are talking about customers that frequent your establishment. Looks like if a dollar can be made off it occupancy magically gets higher and safer?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

For-profit hockey rink operator Black Bear sues AHAI

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 4
Views: 10707
Last post November 10, 2023, 01:40:18 PM
by Guest
Black bear taking over another rink