Author Topic: Minnesota High School Hockey Tourney Hair 2019  (Read 6005 times)

Description:
Minnesota High School Hockey Tourney Hair 2019
Topic: March 07, 2019, 12:31:01 PM
The 2019 Minnesota boys High School Hockey tournament kicked off and so did the release of the this seasons top salads.

Without further ado...

Class A Matchups

#2 – St. Cloud Cathedral Crusaders (24-4) vs. North Branch Vikings (19-7-2) – Wednesday @ 10am

St. Cloud Cathedral Scoring Leaders

Goals – Jack Smith (24)

Assists – Blake Perbix (41)

Points – Blake Perbix (59)

GAA – Noah Amundson (1.98)

North Branch Scoring Leaders

Goals – Cody Croal (23)

Assists – Cody Croal (19)

Points – Cody Croal (42)

GAA – Jake Turek (2.23)

Review: North Branch is making their first appearance to the tournament unfortunately, they are unseeded and will face-off against a strong Cathedral team. I’d like to see North Branch play the Cinderalla story, but I have to believe the Crusaders will be too much for the Vikings.

Prediction: St. Cloud Cathedral

#3 East Grand Forks Green Wave (20-8) vs. Minnesota River Bulldogs (20-4) – Wednesday @ 2pm

East Grand Forks Scoring Leaders

Goals – Tanner Mack (18)

Assists – Tanner Mack (19)

Points – Tanner Mack (37)

GAA – Tucker Brown (2.34)

Minnesota River Scoring Leaders

Goals – Hunter Wilmes (22)

Assists – Hunter Wilmes (29)

Points – Hunter Wilmes (51)

GAA – Andrew Regner (2.13)

Review: Minnesota River is making their first appearance; however, they are facing a very tough first opponent in East Grand Forks. The Green Wave are no stranger to the big dance, and I see them rolling the Bulldogs easily. Of course, there are upsets but I just don’t see this being one of them. Make the north proud, EGF.

Prediction: East Grand Forks

#1 Mahtomedi Zephyrs (21-6-1) vs. New Ulm Eagles (17-8-1) – Wednesday @ 6pm

Mahtomedi Scoring Leaders

Goals – Colin Hagstrom (15)

Assists – Joe Paradise (22)

Points – Nikolai Dulak (34)

GAA – Ben Dardis (1.70)

New Ulm Scoring Leaders

Goals – Glavine Schugel (26)

Assists – Glavine Schugel (19)

Points – Glavine Schugel (45)

GAA – Jack Raymond (2.14)

Review: With Hermantown out of the Class A tournament this year, it’s a little more wide open but Mahtomedi have the chance to take full advantage this year and capture that elusive first title. New Ulm caught a tough break between the three unseeded teams to draw the Zephyrs. There can be some blow outs with the first-round matchups, I hope New Ulm keeps it close.

Prediction: Mahtomedi

#4 Greenway Raiders (15-13) vs #5 Delano Tigers (17-9-2) – Wednesday @ 9pm

Greenway Scoring Leaders

Goals – Donte Lawson (27)

Assists – Donte Lawson (24)

Points – Donte Lawson (51)

GAA – Logan Wright (1.94)

Delano Scoring Leaders

Goals – Adam Brown (15)

Assists – Hogan Williams (18)

Points – Hogan Williams (31)

GAA – Cade Lommel (2.78)

Review: Since it’s the matchup of 4 and 5 seeds, it should be the best game. This is Delano’s 2nd appearance and are taking on an Iron Range team, that’s never an easy task. Greenway and its surrounding schools will be sending everyone down for this and to be honest, will have the rest of the northern schools behind them. A feel-good story about where they’ve come from always helps. Should be a great matchup.

Prediction: Greenway of Coleraine

Finals Prediction: Because I tend to predict with my heart, I’m pulling for the all northern final with East Grand Forks and Greenway going head-to-head. A part of me is shocked that the MSHSL allowed for them to be in separate brackets.

Your Class A State Champs will be… Greenway of Coleraine

Class AA Matchups

#2 Blaine Bengals (22-2-2) vs White Bear Lake (21-4-1) – Thursday @ 10am

Blaine Scoring Leaders

Goals – Carsen Richels (35)

Assists – Bryce Brodzinski (44) *Mr. Hockey Finalist*

Points – Bryce Brodzinski (76)

GAA – Joe Daninger (1.58)

White Bear Lake Scoring Leaders

Goals – Lleyton Roed (13)

Assists – Blake Meister (23)

Points – Blake Meister (32)

GAA – Tyler steffens (1.44)

Review: Blaine comes to the tournament as the #2 seed and should be a favorite to do some damage. White Bear Lake isn’t going to go lightly though which makes for a great matchup right off the bat on Thursday. Because of the tourney cred both these possess, it could be a toss up despite the seeds. To bad their matchup on January 29th was cancelled. Snow and cold is ruining our hockey. Kind of a weird thing to say, right?

Prediction: Blaine

#3 Eden Prairie Eagles (17-9-2) vs Lakeville South Cougars (14-12-1) – Thursday @ 2pm

Eden Prairie Scoring Leaders

Goals – Jack Jensen (31) *Mr. Hockey Finalist*

Assists – Luke Mittelstadt (25)

Points – Jack Jensen (52)

GAA – Axel Rosenlund (3.05)

Lakeville South Scoring Leaders

Goals – Adam Harvey (11)

Assists – Adam Harvey (14)

Points – Adam Harvey (25)

GAA – Henry Welsch (2.27)

Review: Seriously, how does Eden Prairie get seeded in this tournament? You already my distain for Moorhead but they got screwed and even St. Thomas. I guess EP still has a little money to throw around when they need to. I’ll give Lakeville South more than a punchers chance, but they’ve lost some head scratcher games during the season. The Cougars are known to upset some teams, hopefully it will be a good game.

Prediction: *Upset Alert* Lakeville South (I really, really don’t like EP)

#1 Edina Hornets (24-2-1) vs Moorhead Spuds (21-6-1) – Thursday @ 6pm

Edina Scoring Leaders

Goals – Jett Jungels (27)

Assists – Mason Nevers (32) *Mr. Hockey Finalist*

Points – Jett Jungels (54)

GAA – Louden Hogg (2.09)

Moorhead Scoring Leaders

Goals – Nolan Westra (19)

Assists – Isaac Henkemeyer-Howe (24)

Points – Kyler Kleven (36)

GAA – Hudson Hodges (1.83)

Review: How and the hell do I choose this matchup? It’s like the hockey God’s know how much I hate both teams and decided to pair them together. In fairness, this might be one heck of a game. If I were Edina, I’d be a little upset that the MSHSL allowed Moorhead to go unseeded and they were drawn to face-off against one another. I guess the Hornet’s money doesn’t go as far as we once thought. Sweet Lou, what are your thoughts? Big time heavy hitters here in the primetime 6pm matchup. TV ratings should be outstanding, and the X will be packed. I’m just going to continue to spew nonsense, so I don’t have to pick a winner…

Prediction: A comet. Ok, fine, I’ll choose one. *Upset Alert* Moorhead (they get beat later but still knock off the Hornets)

#4 St. Thomas Academy Cadets (24-3-1) vs Duluth East Greyhounds (18-6-2) – Thursday @ 9pm

St. Thomas Scoring Leaders

Goals – Rob Christy (17)

Assists – Ryan O’Neill (28)

Points – Ryan O’Neill (43)

GAA – Wes Gervais (1.12)

Duluth East Scoring Leaders

Goals – Ryder Donovan (12) *Mr. Hockey Finalist*

Assists – Ryder Donovan (25)

Points – Ryder Donovan (37)

GAA – Brody Rabold (1.90)

Review: With St. Thomas getting robbed of a higher seed, they now must go against the cardiac kids who never give up and with Mike Randolph behind the bench for East, they will always make it hard on their opponent. Duluth East is a very hard team to predict but I must go with the cake-eaters of the north. I can’t bring myself to ever choose a private school, especially the Cadets. I’m happy they moved up, yes, but that still doesn’t mean I enjoy watching them. By the way, notice how the two northern schools are in the same bracket for Class AA? That’s not a coincidence, that’s a G.D conspiracy.

Prediction: *Upset Alert* Duluth East (Apparently, I’m all about upsets for the big schools)

Finals Prediction: Since it can’t be an all north final for AA, I’ll have to actually choose a metro team which goes against my beliefs. I’m scared about my potential Duluth East/Moorhead matchup in the semifinals. A Moorhead win gets them closer to their first title, which will hurt my heart but on the flip side, they could get their record breaking 9th runner up. This is truly the toughest decision of my life (maybe I will be nominated for the Preposterous Statement Tournament next year). Finals matchup prediction, Blaine and Duluth East.

Your Class AA State Champs will be… Duluth East (One more banner and Randolph rides off into the sunset)

There you have it, my predictions. Take them with a grain of salt because they are just my own opinions that are purely based on my biases.

Despite all the jokes and small jabs at the teams, mostly the communities and not the players, this will be a great tournament as always. Class A field is really wide open with no Hermantown and there are legitimately three or four teams that can win it. Class AA is made up of some of the biggest names in high school hockey and it’s awesome to see it. Again, because of their tourney cred, there are multiple teams that have a chance and that should make it exciting from the first puck drop to the last buzzer.

Two teams will raise the new “Eveleth Trophy” for the first time on this special 75th annual tournament. From the bottom of my heart, I wish all these kids a safe and fun tournament. Both kids and parents, take in every moment and soak up the excitement and pageantry that this tournament puts out. The State of Hockey will be watching on the edge of their seats for four days and by the end of it, we will all be counting down until next year.

Originating Article
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bluedevils_88

Reply #1:
 March 07, 2019, 01:33:13 PM
As you can see scissors don't exist in Minny.  ;D
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 March 07, 2019, 02:03:17 PM
They look like pro hockey players. They're huge.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: