Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

Hockey vs School

(1/2) > >>

Guest:
I am, let's say intrigued, at the amount of middle schoolers who no longer attend a traditional school - these online accredited schools and their curriculum surely cannot compare. Am I wrong and antiquated in my thinking? Are parents truly sacrificing education at the expense of getting more workouts in during the day?

Thoughts, Opinions?

Guest:
No clue on the quality of the education online, but I struggle with how kids that are 100% online are building proper social skills to interact with peers (both the good and bad interactions).  This is why we've constantly said no despite our kids request.

And no, hanging out with your hockey teammates/buddies is not developing the social skills that are required to be successful in life.

Guest:
I was thinking the same thing about a year ago. Home-school is not what it use to be. It’s worth looking into, if your child has the right head for it.

My son is in private school, and the curriculum is very outdated, and dealing with low quality teachers is unavoidable. Not having to deal with nonsense is very attractive from my point of view.

Guest:
I personally only saw a push for it during covid.  I've seen the curriculum first hand and these "academies" only have one "teacher" or advisor there...it's self paced.

Parents are looking at it to get a leg up over other kids.  Their demo is mostly 2009-2012 AAA kids it seems. We now have TPH, PHA, Bridgewater and even black bear options.  I don't usually pass judgment on parents but am struggling with this one

Guest:
I get upset when I have to pull my kids on a Friday for a tournament, going to school is important for a million reasons, home school cult is next level insane hockey parenting

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version