Author Topic: 1 Yr Experience With Sparx Skate Sharpener  (Read 29863 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 April 01, 2019, 04:09:17 PM
Funny, we had a team from Ukraine here some years ago, and they all had the worst gear, entry level bauer plastic skates, probably never sharpened the one month they were here in North America! They beat AYHL Tier 1 top level teams by scores of 26-1, and 18-1! You folks don't have a clue!

YOU'RE AN IDIOT!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

tstokes378

Reply #11:
 April 03, 2019, 08:50:17 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what model did you get and how much did it set you back?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 April 03, 2019, 08:58:39 AM
No problem at all, I bought the ES100 when they officially went public. At the time they were offering a memorial day $100 discount, plus 10% if I purchased using their credit option which is called KLARNA. With tax it was just about $700. I haven't seen them under $899 since. It's been paid off for about 3 months but like I said, this thing has paid for itself since. It's also easily transportable but we never bothered to take it to tournaments or anything.

Portable Home Skate Sharpener - Sparx Skate Sharpening
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 August 16, 2019, 01:24:06 PM
My kids do a two-pass sharpening every week after their practices are done, so that going into games over the weekend they'll have sharp skates every time. When the school team starts up, my boy will likely do his two-pass sharpening the day of his school game and be good until the next one. This comes out to about 6 hours/sharpening for each of them. I sharpen mine about every two weeks since I only play once a week and only wear them for coaching otherwise.

We love the Sparx. We never have dull skates and the consistent level of sharpness from practice to practice and game to game is something that people don't mention often, but that is a big advantage of being able to sharpen so easily and conveniently at home. We sharpen more often that we probably need to because we can, but that consistency is a wonderful thing. My skates are always still sharp "enough" when I finally sharpen them - we've seen no obvious difference in durability of the edges between the Sparx and our local Perani's, where they do a wonderful job of sharpening.

As an added benefit, we bought the edge checker from Sparx, and using it we have found that once the sharpener is set up the edges are nearly perfectly level every single time. To be honest even the best shops don't achieve that accuracy that frequently.

My son is 15 and my daughter is 11 and neither has any trouble sharpening their own skates on it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 August 24, 2019, 11:49:03 AM
My kid just started and is in learn to skate, and we have decided to invest in his own personal ice rink, complete with pro shop and staff to sharpen and fit his gear. Gretzky had his backyard rink in Canada, but here in NJ we will need a fully insulated commercial building. We have purchased one in Camden, so that other rich, white, country club hockey families will not dare to skate there! This will be a private facility, NO-ONE is allowed in, EXCEPT, our own hired staff, skating instructors, hockey coaches, GM, Doctor, and personal trainers. We will pay players and goalies to skate with our boy, AAA only may apply: www.camdenice.com
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 August 24, 2019, 12:56:59 PM

My son is 15 and my daughter is 11 and neither has any trouble sharpening their own skates on it.

My daughter is 14 and we've had ours for 2 years and 2 grinding rings in that time. This machine more than pays for itself. She's been sharpening herself since we got it normally every four hours of skating time.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Sparx portable skate sharpener

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 6697
Last post May 27, 2018, 08:49:55 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
SPARX ISSUES SKATE SHARPENING POSITION CHANGE!

Replies: 1
Views: 12362
Last post August 15, 2018, 04:03:32 PM
by Youth Hockey Info
SPARX Personal Skate Sharpening System Weekend Sale

Views: 6654
Last post May 24, 2019, 01:15:47 PM
by Youth Hockey Info
Flyers Skate Zone: [Voorhees] Memorial Day Tournament

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard Clinics, Camps, Tryouts, Tourneys etc.

Views: 6967
Last post May 11, 2018, 08:52:09 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
Site Layout And User Experience

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard Youth Hockey Info Center

Views: 6766
Last post May 17, 2018, 11:06:50 AM
by Youth Hockey Info