Author Topic: Try-out Fees  (Read 9534 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 March 25, 2019, 12:07:37 PM
In the DVHL the "fee" is actually the players 1st tuition payment. When they register they are committing to a contract with the club they're trying out for. Other than that, you are correct. Existing club players are already pre-determined which team they will be assigned with the exception of a handful who coaches discuss if they need to be moved to a better or worse team, ie up or down.

And this is where they lose me. The DVHL shouldn't be restricting player movement at the initial tryout. If your kid is is a AA talent and his/her club can't produce a AA for the current year, you should be free to move your kid to another club where they will be challenged and not have their development stymied.  You see this often in smaller clubs where they can't produce "birth year" teams or the major birth year isn't necessarily strong for a particular season.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #11:
 March 25, 2019, 01:08:44 PM
Touché
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 March 25, 2019, 01:15:50 PM
In the DVHL the "fee" is actually the players 1st tuition payment. When they register they are committing to a contract with the club they're trying out for. Other than that, you are correct. Existing club players are already pre-determined which team they will be assigned with the exception of a handful who coaches discuss if they need to be moved to a better or worse team, ie up or down.

And this is where they lose me. The DVHL shouldn't be restricting player movement at the initial tryout. If your kid is is a AA talent and his/her club can't produce a AA for the current year, you should be free to move your kid to another club where they will be challenged and not have their development stymied.  You see this often in smaller clubs where they can't produce "birth year" teams or the major birth year isn't necessarily strong for a particular season.

I have seen DVHL teams do everything they could to prevent kids from playing elsewhere because a kid was not happy with their team placement.  It is horrible.  I personally know one kid that went to NJ because of this, another that just sat out a year, and two that went to AAA because of this rule.  It is a dumb rule and if I had a kid still playing I would never have them tryout for a DVHL team. I have also heard rumors that some parents have been forced to pay a whole years tuition just to get a release.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 March 25, 2019, 01:30:00 PM
I have also heard rumors that some parents have been forced to pay a whole years tuition just to get a release.

Not a rumor facts...unfortunately
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 March 25, 2019, 01:35:47 PM
NJYHL and DVHL are both subject to AAHA rules and regulations. If what is in the DVHL by-laws regarding player tryouts was allowed and enforceable, you wouldn't be able to move to an NJYHL Tier2 team after an in-season commitment to a DVHL team. It makes you wonder if the DVHL is even allowed to have this policy of "contracting" players before tryouts. They can call them evaluations all they want, but they still need to adhere to the rules and regulations of the affiliate and USAH.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 March 25, 2019, 01:58:42 PM
NJYHL and DVHL are both subject to AAHA rules and regulations. If what is in the DVHL by-laws regarding player tryouts was allowed and enforceable, you wouldn't be able to move to an NJYHL Tier2 team after an in-season commitment to a DVHL team. It makes you wonder if the DVHL is even allowed to have this policy of "contracting" players before tryouts. They can call them evaluations all they want, but they still need to adhere to the rules and regulations of the affiliate and USAH.

The only thing I know is the kid played in NJ that year and wasn't forced to pay anything more to the DVHL team.  He didn't try to recover the "evaluation" fee however.  Maybe the the team didn't pursue the issue because they weren't in the DVHL anymore? I don't know.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #16:
 March 25, 2019, 02:45:00 PM
Oh, I 100% believe you. I'm really questioning the validity of the DVHL's ability to do this. It seems to be in violation of AAHA and USAH open-tryout policy.

My experience with DVHL "leadership" has led to to think of them as less than capable, so anything is possible I'm sure  :D
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #17:
 March 25, 2019, 02:46:07 PM
 ??? ??? ??? ??? Outside people? What a novel idea! Wish  I knew of a club where that happens!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #18:
 March 25, 2019, 02:48:58 PM
??? ??? ??? ??? Outside people? What a novel idea! Wish  I knew of a club where that happens!

I heard Palmyra uses outside people at evaluations. I'm not a part of the club so I don't know for sure though.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #19:
 March 25, 2019, 02:49:02 PM
I know most DVHL clubs do the whole deposit thing prior to try outs which isn't an evaluation fee, just your first payment. I know VFC is now charging a $100 eval fee, but have heard different answers if that $100 goes toward your season total or not.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

DVHL hockey team registration fees

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 4
Views: 3801
Last post May 11, 2020, 09:52:36 AM
by Guest
Jags black bear fees for AHF for 2023 season