Author Topic: Youth Hockey Parents Who Video Record  (Read 12047 times)

Description:
Youth Hockey Parents Who Video Record
Topic: August 29, 2022, 09:37:52 AM
My experience using an iPad to record 10 years' worth of our kid's youth hockey games.

I've been recording my kid's games for the past 10 years, all of them actually, around 800 or so combined between the two of them, from club to school, and everything in between.

In the beginning I tried an HD camcorder, but I found the size of the viewing display was a little too small and cumbersome to be able to follow the action. I often found myself either ahead of the play, behind the play or lost trying to find where everybody is because I zoomed in and either forgot or didn't realize I had done it by accident. Keeping the camera steady holding it independently or on a tripod was also a challenge. Yes, the camera came with the digital stability control, but it doesn't work all that well when people in the stands are moving around or in packed arena's the kids often jump up and down making the bleachers bounce.

Halfway through our boy's second season I saw a mother using an iPad to record. In which case I asked how well it worked and she informed she never had a problem. I watched a little of her recording in action and I was pleasantly surprised with the ease of use and the ability to capture everything without losing focus or placement during the play on the ice. Because the entire viewing screen is your display to keep track it's literally impossible to lose your bearing during game play.

I've been using the iPad since 2012. Some elements of my game recordings evolved over time such as the addition of the iOgrapher. An iOgrapher is a device used to hold the iPad independently or on a tripod. In some cases, a tripod isn't an option for game recording due to various circumstances, specifically space availability. The dual handles provide excellent support and allow you to hold almost completely stabilized. Later on, around 2016 an app became available to add a scoreboard overlay and watermark similar to what you see on professional game broadcasts. The app even allows you to stream to your favorite streaming platforms like Youtube, Twitch, Facebook and a few others as well. That feature however is contingent on wireless bandwidth strength in the hockey rinks. If you're looking to step up your game in video recording this is the way to go. Have fun!

What you'll need to create your own pro sports-like video productions

Example broadcast from this past college season. All of these home games were both recorded and streamed live to Twitch without any quality issues.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13044,Guest19887,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest13024,
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest18449,

Reply #1:
 December 05, 2022, 12:39:26 PM
Just came across this. Thank you! I haven’t tried live-streaming yet but record and save is easy and the customizable scoreboard simple to set up.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 September 24, 2023, 03:30:42 PM
Did you do commentary?  Wondering how to get 2 mics inputted.   
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Video Captures Controversial Arrest Of Youth Hockey Coach

Started by guestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 16873
Last post April 27, 2018, 01:54:49 PM
by guest
Parents Perspective: Youth Hockey Pet Peeves