Author Topic: Switching Organizations  (Read 23896 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 April 16, 2021, 01:20:51 PM
Yeah there’s some of that too.  Parents that want to be able to say their kid plays AAA.  The problem is AAA is so watered down with so many teams that it’s really not AAA anyway.  There’s always a handful of kids that are clearly better and need to be pushed.  But most kids aren’t as good as their parents think they are but “AAA” clubs are more than happy to charge 3x the tuition.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13466,Guest18636,Guest19033,Guest10206,Guest10135,Guest17675,Guest11796,Guest13197,
Guest15245,Guest12699,Guest10500,Guest15904,Guest19782,Guest17629,Guest14610,Guest14182,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #11:
 April 16, 2021, 01:58:58 PM
One of the biggest complaints I hear is that the org only cares about the top teams, be it aaa or aa, and the other teams are just there. The hockey director will coach the top teams but gets parents who barely can skate to coach A and B teams.

I was at KLA rink last night and there were tryouts for AAA squirts, which is nuts, but there barely enough kids to form a team and some spent more time laying on the ice than skating. Parents looked like they were going to puke from nerves and the kids looked oblivious. I felt like telling parents that they need the bodies and need money so don’t worry.  It was both funny and sad.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest18634,Guest17165,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 April 16, 2021, 02:03:39 PM
Possibly switching organizations and hoping my child can land on a team where there is comradery, the skill level is appropriate, and the coaching is good.  Fairness in evaluations/tryouts would be great, but that is a fantasy and not to mention "fair" is subjective.  Generally avoiding anything related to strictly for corporate profit (BB rinks and clubs) because this is not professional hockey.  No preference for parent coaches or paid coaches - just so long as the coaching is good and all the kids have opportunities to develop and have a good season (again - subjective on what makes a good season).  The level of play is just one piece and for my child not the most important.  Sportsmanship, comradery, club management and organization, coaching, and the actual facility are all criteria.  This year my child is moving to a level where there are tryouts and not evaluations.  Looking at the list of clubs we are considering, there are small and large clubs on the list with paid and parent coaches, league and independent play.  We will go where it feels like the best fit overall including staying with his 20-21 Club even though there are some things we wish were different there.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11883,Guest14822,Guest18875,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 April 16, 2021, 02:14:51 PM
Possibly switching organizations and hoping my child can land on a team where there is comradery, the skill level is appropriate, and the coaching is good.  Fairness in evaluations/tryouts would be great, but that is a fantasy and not to mention "fair" is subjective.
If you go to AAA your kid better be Sidney Crosby because he's either getting a 4th line roll or he's pushing somebody elses kid off of the team. If you're going to tier ll it's the same thing or your kid is starting from scratch from the bottom B up.

Generally avoiding anything related to strictly for corporate profit (BB rinks and clubs) because this is not professional hockey.  No preference for parent coaches or paid coaches - just so long as the coaching is good and all the kids have opportunities to develop and have a good season (again - subjective on what makes a good season).
They will have 90 percent of the rinks along the mid atlantic within 2 years so you better find a way to deal with it or your kid won't be playing. Most of the clubs are parent coaches.

The level of play is just one piece and for my child not the most important.  Sportsmanship, comradery, club management and organization, coaching, and the actual facility are all criteria.  This year my child is moving to a level where there are tryouts and not evaluations.
There's no such thing as a tryout unless its a brand new club. Your kid will be evaluated to see what team in his age group he can fill a hole to close the roster

Looking at the list of clubs we are considering, there are small and large clubs on the list with paid and parent coaches, league and independent play.  We will go where it feels like the best fit overall including staying with his 20-21 Club even though there are some things we wish were different there.

It doesn't matter where you go you'll always want something different. All sports are the same unless you have a protege kid you are just a meal ticket.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest10808,Guest17329,Guest14464,Guest12707,Guest12124,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 April 16, 2021, 05:01:41 PM
We are leaving our organization because the board members of our organization are tied to the AA teams 2 of those teams are at my sons age range. One of those teams played 70 games this year while my sons team didn’t even get the minimum home games. The board promised we would get what we were owed. Season ended and we still haven’t been compensated for the money owed. We have recently been offered clinics or a discount for next season like families are dumb enough to return

What was the home game difference between this team and your team? Did that team play in the EJ as well? Did the AA team have more because your games would get cancelled for Covid? I know our club got screwed up with allotting non league slots because games had to be cancelled and made up. I honestly was just happy we got in all of our league games this season.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 April 16, 2021, 05:48:48 PM

There's no such thing as a tryout unless its a brand new club. Your kid will be evaluated to see what team in his age group he can fill a hole to close the roster

in the DVHL there are evals for everything below pee wee, if you have paid for the eval you're guaranteed a roster spot, you're eval-ing for which team you get placed on, all other age groups are try outs, you pay to get looked at but are not guaranteed a spot with the club
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12695,Guest14534,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest11303,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #16:
 April 16, 2021, 10:09:54 PM
What your kids not good enough to play AAA.   It's OK. Tier 2 is cool also.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #17:
 April 16, 2021, 11:19:16 PM
I can say that I posted the initial question and my kid is not a AAA player.  I was just curious to see why people switch organizations.  I think it’s a fair question.  There are no town teams for hockey like there are in other sports.  Yes, kids can go play for AAU teams and the like in other sports but hockey is the one sport that truly is not limited by township lines in anyway.  My point is not one person has responded that my kid is AAA and clearly on an NHL path so that was the move to make.  Your snarky, stupid AAA comments are nothing more than spam.  I am sorry our inferior hockey players are ruining your child’s NHL destiny.  And in all honesty if someone thinks there kid is AAA, a AAA team takes them and the family wants to spend their money for it, what do you really care?  It’s not your eff’in money or kid.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest17216,Guest19512,Guest16900,Guest12233,Guest18519,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #18:
 April 17, 2021, 11:22:11 AM
I agree with a lot of what is being said.  Tier 1 is watered down but if your organization is a big club with 60 kids on the ice all at once, tier 1 offers the opportunity for more individual instruction and may help your kids development.  In essence that is what you are paying for.  Look at who is coaching the team and what the overall plan for the season is.  You do have to be realistic with your kids overall ability though.  My kid is a decent AA player.  Probably not the next Gretzky but has some talent.  We would like to maximize that if possible.We just went through the tier 1 process and I thought they would take a bunch of kids just to make money.  That didn’t happen which surprised me.  They took less on the roster but could have filled it with kids that were no where close to that level.  I am sure all clubs are different though.  Do your research on the coaching and practice model of the organization. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #19:
 April 17, 2021, 03:09:54 PM
It’s parents chasing the dream to win every year that screw this sport up.  Chasing a better team I stead of allowing their player to grow.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: