Author Topic: USA Hockey President Will Not Seek Third Term  (Read 5352 times)

Description:
USA Hockey President Will Not Seek Third Term
Topic: May 24, 2021, 09:37:42 AM
Amid a whirlwind of controversy, USA Hockey President will step away after June election

File photo of former youth hockey coach Thomas "Chico" Adrahtas (Date Unknown).

USA Hockey President Jim Smith has notified staff of his intentions to step down from his role with no intention to run for a third term. Elections will be held at USA Hockey's annual congressional meetings in June.

Smith's decision comes on the heels of the announcement of a federal lawsuit on behalf of several former players coached by renowned Chicago youth hockey coach Thomas "Chico" Adrahtas. former players as far back as 1999 such as Kelly Gee, Michael Sacks, Christopher Jensen and others who wish to remain anonymous are reportedly filing the suit. Reports from the plaintiffs tell a story in which part of their grooming included being blind-folded and bound as Adrahtas sexually abused them. Complaints surfaced in 2010 while Adrahtas was coaching at Roosevelt University, (Formerly Robert Morris University). Because of his success, Adrahtas took advantage of his protection as he continued to coach for almost 40 years.

In February 2010, upon receiving a formal allegation of sexual abuse that occurred 26 years earlier, AHAI suspended former coach Thomas "Chico" Adrahtas...He was no longer allowed to coach any youth hockey program in Illinois."

Over a week ago, Kelly Gee filed in federal court, a suit against the University of Minnesota, USA Hockey, Amateur Hockey Association Illinois, and Thomas Adrahtas, (video below).

The USA Hockey President has denied being aware of any criminal activity and although he is not named as a defendant in the case, he believes it's in the best interest to move on from his role.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest14142,Guest15191,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 May 24, 2021, 10:23:25 AM
The cbs report says this was reported in 2010 and usa hockey along with ahai did nothing and still allowed the guy to coach? It wasn't until last year safesport banned him for life? Throw the book at him and everybody involved this is a terrible abuse of authority on every level.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest14719,

Reply #2:
 May 24, 2021, 10:51:00 AM
Am I the only one missing why a sexual predator was being given a free pass when it looks like everybody seemed to know about his criminal behavior? I cannot ever wrap my head around how kids fall for being told what is going on is acceptable. For fear they may not play anymore? In this case they were all young men and college students.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted angry1:
Guest19086,
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 May 24, 2021, 01:08:00 PM
Do any of you parents talk to your kids about awareness and using your head to differentiate right from wrong? There is going to be a laundry list of former players to be exposed or remain anonymous in this trial. I'm not blaming them for being raped instead I question why they allowed it and that evil man to continue sexually abusing others well after they had moved on into adulthood.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11549,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest16261,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 May 24, 2021, 01:45:24 PM
I feel so sorry for those poor kids their lives must be a mess.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 May 24, 2021, 03:18:05 PM
How do things like this even happen?  How are kids left alone with non-related or untrusted adults?  I’m sure it was a “you won’t get ice time if you don’t” and “if you tell your anyone, you won’t make the team.”

I’ve already had to tell my son that no coach is allowed to put hands on him in anger.  He is to tell me otherwise and I will address it.  We’ve already had the discussion with all our kids about no one should touch you except medical professionals with a legit purposes or mom/dad when helping dress, bathe, etc.  All mine are getting old for that though.

As a parent though, how is that coach still above ground?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest16898,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 May 24, 2021, 03:47:13 PM
Thats the nail on the head they were all 17 years and older not kids under 15yr old. Maybe these players never made pros but there are stories of pro players who were molested in juniors. Maybe they thought or coach promised if they played his games they'd be the next top player. Brainwashed is the only thing that comes to mind. Parents still do this today pushing their kids to be what they want them to be and constantly pushing them to get to the next great coach. Does anybody really check their backgrounds when they've put together a career and built a reputation of being the best? Food for thought
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 May 25, 2021, 08:23:44 AM
Just another failure by USA Hockey which collects millions in “mandatory fees” every season yet does absolutely nothing to improve youth hockey.  The whole organization should be disbanded.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest14563,Guest17220,Guest18553,Guest12131,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest11914,Guest17535,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 May 25, 2021, 03:19:38 PM
Oh my, I can't believe this kind of stuff still exists with all of the safety measures USA hockey puts in place. And to see that it all may have been known the whole time makes it look really bad for the USA.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest19676,
No reactions
Members reacted angry1:
Guest14470,
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 May 25, 2021, 04:30:33 PM
A couple of comments were removed from the same guy responding to himself. Act like an adult please, not a child.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15445,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Former Abington Ice Hockey Coach/President Passes Away

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard SHSHL Achives

Replies: 2
Views: 5140
Last post April 10, 2019, 03:48:08 PM
by Guest
Youth Hockey Club Treasurer and President Stole $57k In Funds

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 3
Views: 5913
Last post April 19, 2021, 11:19:29 AM
by Guest
Buy Sell And Trade Used And New Hockey Equipment Online

Started by adminBoard Used Hockey Equipment Trading And Selling

Replies: 1
Views: 10015
Last post October 31, 2019, 12:41:31 AM
by Guest
DE/NJ/NY/PA Youth Hockey Directory

Started by adminBoard Youth Hockey Info Center

Replies: 0
Views: 14734
Last post April 22, 2018, 04:55:17 PM
by admin
iTrain Hockey

Started by GuestBoard Clinics, Camps, Tryouts, Tourneys etc.

Replies: 0
Views: 8886
Last post April 23, 2018, 03:25:23 PM
by Guest