Author Topic: Reshaping DVHL & Youth Hockey  (Read 4976 times)

Description:

Reshaping DVHL & Youth Hockey
Topic: November 27, 2021, 10:38:31 AM
The youth hockey landscape is changing with the addition of the AHF as a league option to the DVHL and EJ.  Yet the more things change, the more they stay the same in my opinion.  I have been around the DVHL on and off over the years since the 1980's and they have not changed at all.  There was no need to change and I think the stagnation that was the perfect opportunity for the AHF to form.  Make no mistake, the AHF will be a big money grab for those involved because the rinks are owned people directly involved.

I marvel that there are so many players developing around the US in non-traditional hockey-hotbeds (California, Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, Florida, just to name a few) that are making the steps to juniors, NCAA, professional.  Let's face it, all of the states I mentioned are relatively new to youth hockey as compared to over 50 years in Southeastern Pennsylvania.  Then I ask, "How are the other states doing this?"  Part of it is the NHL teams in these states are assisting.

Yet nothing has really changed in the almost 50 years that the DVHL has been around.

The Flyers organization needs to assist; part of the reason Ed Snider got behind Snider Hockey was to reach and create younger fans in order to grow the game. 

Here are my thoughts:
-There needs to be a hockey symposium to discuss a vision for the future
-Create a governing body for Southeastern PA much like they have in Pittsburgh
-Have a split-season at the U16 and U18 level.  Will stop the fighting over the same resources (players, coaches, ice time) to prevent older players from burning out.  People will argue over this idea, but it works all over the country.  Look no further than myhockeyrankings.com at the Tier 2 18U level and one will see that 7 of the top 10 teams all do a split season.

Looking to forward to hearing others opinions.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 November 30, 2021, 03:35:03 PM
Reshaping the dvhl should have happened years ago. Burn out with families having to hear the same responses from clubs it’s not the club it’s the league and when the league representatives come down from their ivory tower the say we only enforce what the clubs vote on…. But if you think about it the clubs representatives are usually staff on the AA teams at different age levels and don’t care about the problems the B teams are having. This blackbear shake up should have happened years ago to get rid of the same old club voices that aren’t worrying about teams they don’t have kids on
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13593,Guest18943,Guest19797,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest11690,Guest16252,Guest12926,Guest19871,Guest11653,Guest13263,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 November 30, 2021, 05:15:32 PM
Reshaping the dvhl should have happened years ago. Burn out with families having to hear the same responses from clubs it’s not the club it’s the league and when the league representatives come down from their ivory tower the say we only enforce what the clubs vote on…. But if you think about it the clubs representatives are usually staff on the AA teams at different age levels and don’t care about the problems the B teams are having. This blackbear shake up should have happened years ago to get rid of the same old club voices that aren’t worrying about teams they don’t have kids on

This post smells of bitterness and shows an absolute ignorance of how the clubs or league works. I can assure you, BB does not care about any team at any level other than the more teams they have the more money they make. The DVHL meetings were taken over by rink owners long ago, and now you have the same motives in the AHF. At least the AHF can't hide the fact it's all about profit for the rinks.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15418,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 November 30, 2021, 06:07:20 PM

I don't understand how a club joining a different league "gets rid of the same old club voices"? The same people are still going to be running the show. Sounds like your club members need to do a better job of electing board members. Maybe you need to run for one of these positions and attempt to bring change.
BTW, this isn't a DVHL issue. Clubs in every league in every sport across the country have these same issues.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 December 01, 2021, 06:37:33 PM
Blackbear has been eliminating the club boards power now they are little more then making suggestions. The response I’ve seen with the AHF and the flexibility of suspensions like traveling to Virginia to sit 1 game being pushed off to a local game… seems like a breathe of fresh air….. responses are same day not weeks later!!!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest17739,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest10140,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 December 02, 2021, 08:57:00 AM
Blackbear has been eliminating the club boards power now they are little more then making suggestions. The response I’ve seen with the AHF and the flexibility of suspensions like traveling to Virginia to sit 1 game being pushed off to a local game… seems like a breathe of fresh air….. responses are same day not weeks later!!!

Honestly, I don't like that suspension exception. If they player did something to warrant a suspension, he should suffer the consequences. Plus, he should be there with his team regardless if the game is 2 hours away.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest16341,Guest15977,Guest12919,Guest17900,Guest14390,Guest12720,Guest17791,Guest10531,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest19641,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: