Author Topic: Score Sheet Errors Abound  (Read 11456 times)

Description:

Score Sheet Errors Abound
Topic: September 17, 2019, 03:42:33 PM
Why does NJYHL have stats recorded from games when they are always errors? Sometimes it is switching goal/assists, but many times they are just absurdly wrong - example, a kid being given an assist on his own goal; kid who wasn't there getting multiple points. Is it refs who don't see/care, scorekeepers who don't hear/care, data entry people? No point to keep public when not accurate.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 September 17, 2019, 04:47:27 PM
also why won't they make corrections?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 September 17, 2019, 06:33:01 PM
Hot button with me.....recently the shots on goal were entered incorrectly for both teams at the Midget level.  The score sheet had the correct number of shots on goal for both teams but the entry into Scorekeeper was incorrect.  Didn't impact the outcome of the game, but grossly misstated both goalies stats.  NJYHL representatives would not fix it. 

My takeaway....anyone can enter anything in Scorekeeper and as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the game it will not be amended.

At a recent NJYHL managers meeting, the Board boasted about the publically available stats that are used by high schools and scouts.  How can they support this without due diligence to ensuring the information is correct?

Unfair to the players!!!!

FYI...EJEPL will fix errors to ensure players get credit where credit is due.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 September 17, 2019, 07:04:47 PM
Tier ll hockey isn't going to correct anything and they don't care about stats that's why the stats are always a mess and kept private not public. The refs know they don't have to be accurate. Once the scoresheet is signed by the ref it's done. Unless whatever the ref reports to the score keepers bench is refuted right then and there by the coach it won't change. As far as shots are concerned, you need to take that up with the parents who are managing the clock because it's them who decide what is or isnt a shot. Tier lll tracks stats and that's why they make them public. Same with EJ and USPHL.

If you want to keep stats and be accurate you have to find a parent who wants to do that and then deal with the headache of other parents on the team who don't agree with their results.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 September 17, 2019, 07:15:37 PM
Tier lll? I think you mean tier 1 bud. :-\
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 September 17, 2019, 07:31:12 PM
My son had 3 goals last year that he had no part of. Twice he wasn't on the ice and another he wasn't even at the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was 87 and the kid who scored them was 97.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 September 17, 2019, 07:33:06 PM
Forgot to add it was the wnyahl. It's not just in the njyhl.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 September 18, 2019, 07:49:13 AM
Rinks can/should hire older kids at $10 or $12 an hour to do the score sheets and clock. Kids will probably get it more right because they’ll remember when their stats were messed up. My kid played with another last year whose mother complained A LOT about all 20+ points her kid was missing. Nowhere near that but definitely missing some.

My kid’s playing for a different team this year but I heard now he’s getting credited for goals and assists when he isn’t even on the ice so she’s apparently not complaining lol but the kid is telling players how many points he has like he really earned them. Not good for the team mentality.

If it’s not going to be done right don’t post anything. Show me a coach who’s going to have the ref make a change on the score sheet when the game is over. The coach should make sure it’s accurate but I haven’t found one yet who’s cared enough to check its accuracy because it’s the final outcome that matters to them.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 September 18, 2019, 09:38:32 AM
This is nothing new. Its new to parents who are new to club hockey. Tier ll hockey only cares about game results, nothing else. It's supposed to be a league about learning not scoring results. The only problem with that is that tier ll is the breeding ground for tier 1. Tier 1 coaches are interested in seeing scoring statistics.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 September 18, 2019, 09:39:04 AM
The problem is they are not kept private. All leagues game stats on posted on NJYHL and they are wrong more often than not. My kid has heard the refs give numbers of kids who aren't even on the ice - its sloppy and wrong.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: