Author Topic: Split Season  (Read 7971 times)

Description: DVHL vs NJYHL

hockey dad

Split Season
Topic: March 18, 2019, 08:02:58 PM
I have brought the idea of a split-season to the attention of the DVHL president several years ago. She said, "No." There was no discussion, no study, no committee, etc.  Nothing.  The split season is used throughout New England and Midwest successfully. The DVHL has no progressive thinking.  Looking forward to hearing other opinions.  Youth Hockey Structure Western Pennsylvania | FlipHTML5
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 March 18, 2019, 08:21:13 PM
What is your idea? From a high school level it wouldn't work our season is over by November.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 March 18, 2019, 08:37:37 PM
No thanks, we travel far enough in the DVHL. With multiple kids playing multiple sports in my family, for example, time is short as it is. That's what is nice about the DVHL, and being Tier 2. Just my opinion.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 March 18, 2019, 09:37:18 PM
High school hockey in Maryland, Philadelphia and New Jersey isn't as competitive as club hockey. Our club tried it and kids were bored. My boy plays private school so it's better but teammates in public school played on laughable teams with very uneven talent. So I think thedvhl is smart not to entertain the idea.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 March 18, 2019, 10:06:35 PM
This is another chicken and the egg situation.
High school league is lacking bc travel kids don't play.  Travel kids don't play bc high school teams lack talent and schedule makes it difficult. Local travel leagues don't offer split league because high school leagues lack competitive environment. High school league is not competitive bc travel leagues don't accommodate the high school schedule....
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

James

Reply #5:
 March 19, 2019, 12:26:18 AM
What happens to the players who live in a school Dist that doesn’t have a team?

What happens to the kids that go to the esteemed Ice Line Internet school.

Who decides what rinks get what teams?

Is the cost of 2 teams worth it?

Will schools  subsidize cost ?

Well all this cost be the same across the board ? For the schools ?

It would help keep kids from jumping teams unless their parent up and moved around !!!!!!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 March 19, 2019, 06:14:45 AM
All questions or concerns that already exist with the current situation.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest19844,

Reply #7:
 March 19, 2019, 07:37:01 AM
I have brought the idea of a split-season to the attention of the DVHL president several years ago. She said, "No." There was no discussion, no study, no committee, etc.  Nothing.  The split season is used throughout New England and Midwest successfully. The DVHL has no progressive thinking.  Looking forward to hearing other opinions.  Youth Hockey Structure Western Pennsylvania | FlipHTML5

Is this a question about playing crossover with the NJYHL or high school? Seems like some are assuming it's splitting the season with high school.

If it's splitting with the NJYHL I think the teams out in Western PA and Delaware would have major issues with driving 3 hrs to play a game. Wilkes Barre up north would be an even bigger problem.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 March 19, 2019, 10:26:25 AM
I could be wrong but I think the link to the western pa split season slide show was someone trying to show it is being thoughtfully considered elsewhere but not in the dvhl.  I didn't think they were trying to say we should travel to such places.  Again I could be wrong.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest18963,

Reply #9:
 March 19, 2019, 10:31:52 AM
I could be wrong but I think the link to the western pa split season slide show was someone trying to show it is being thoughtfully considered elsewhere but not in the dvhl.  I didn't think they were trying to say we should travel to such places.  Again I could be wrong.

I should clarify, "Western" as being the DVHL's most western regional teams, ie York, Lancaster, Hershey, Cap City, Palmyra.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: