Author Topic: DVHL OFFICIATING  (Read 13951 times)

Description:

Reply #40:
 January 16, 2020, 11:31:11 AM
I still haven't actually seen why someone would claim that "THE DVHL HAS THE WORST OFFICIATING IN USA HOCKEY PERIOD!  JUST SAYING".  How are they the worst? 

Well ya see, Little Johnny got tripped and fell down. And it was from behind and the other player was trying to kill Little Johnny. And then Little Johnnys coach started screaming at the ref cause Little Johnny was down. And all the parents were screaming cause Little Johnny was down. And Little Johnny couldn't even get up. So mom had to run down and bang on the glass and yell at the official cause Little Johnny couldn't even skate anymore. And the coach had to come and help Little Johnny off the ice... cause his skate blade was broken.

Ya see the fact was Little Johnny wasn't even touched on the play. Skate blade broke and he fell on his own. Coach apologizes to referee. The parents did not.
DVHL game this past weekend - true story

This is the dumbest response. Hold all dvhl officials accountable as the worst officials in all of youth hockey because a ref missed a call? Your response deserves a Darwin award. And the childish way you responded proves why you deserve such an award.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #41:
 January 16, 2020, 12:51:07 PM

This is the dumbest response. Hold all dvhl officials accountable as the worst officials in all of youth hockey because a ref missed a call? Your response deserves a Darwin award. And the childish way you responded proves why you deserve such an award.
[/quote]
Sorry but you missed the sarcasm. I  am a ref. This story was relayed to me. The ref didn't miss a call. EVERYONE thought the ref missed something. The truth was that the ref saw something that EVERYONE else missed.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #42:
 January 17, 2020, 07:24:04 AM
You need at least 1 more official on the ice. 2 referees is not enough.

10U/12U - 2 officials

14U/16U/18U  -  3 officials

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #43:
 January 17, 2020, 09:06:24 AM
You need at least 1 more official on the ice. 2 referees is not enough.
10U/12U - 2 officials
14U/16U/18U  -  3 officials
While that is not a bad idea you run into a serious numbers issue.
90% of local college is now 4 man.
Juniors are all 4 man
AYHL is 3 man at 15 and 4 man at 16 & 18

Adding more refs at the DVHL level (while ref #'s are down) is gonna be real difficult.

Also the 1 ref and 2 liney is not going to help much. There are normally less penalties called in that configuration.
2 ref and 1 liney might be an option but USAH doesn't recognize it.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #44:
 January 17, 2020, 11:13:33 AM
Unless USA hockey hires full time refs you won't ever see 4 refs at tier ll hockey except for special games like championships
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #45:
 January 17, 2020, 12:04:48 PM
DVHL used to run 3 man for all levels at league championships. I remember reffing a squirt championship game  15 years ago. That was good fun. Just had to make sure I didn't run those little ones over.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #46:
 January 17, 2020, 01:10:09 PM
Some thoughts- 

1) no more than one adolescent referee per game whenever possible.
2) have coaches evaluate referees after every game.  A simple 2 minute email survey with the ability to free form if necessary.  That way you establish if certain coaches complain regardless of who is the ref but you can also see which referees are getting lower marks repeatedly.  The availability of live barn in most rinks would also help potentially validate/invalidate claims.
3). Have a senior official unannounced in the stands so that every referee is seen live at least twice a season for evaluation purposes.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #47:
 January 17, 2020, 04:38:19 PM
I've noticed a decline in the quality of officiating this season as well. Bad calls are going to happen no matter what so I don't worry about them too much. I'm talking about not knowing basic rules, not being on time, poor positioning and in some cases a poor attitude when questioned respectfully about these issues.

I coached in a lacrosse league that required the coaches rate the refs online after every game. It was a 1-5 scale and if you rated them lower than 2, you had to leave comments as to why you scored them so low and the head of officiating would reach out to you to discuss the issues.

Not a perfect system but it did hold the refs accountable for their performance during the season and you wouldn't see issues repeat as much. Of course you also didn't get much help from a ref you gave a poor score the next time he worked one of your games but that also kept the coaches honest and made sure they only scored low for legitimate issues.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #48:
 January 20, 2020, 09:32:29 PM
The refs can’t see everything and in fact do a pretty good job in the DVHL.  The parents on the other hand need a lesson on how to watch a game.  The should try to just watch and cheer on their players.  The parents are so out of control and to be honest the refs have been too lenient not tossing them from the rink.  Parents should videotape themselves screaming at refs and post that.  It’s terribly embarrassing to watch parents make fools of themselves.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #49:
 January 21, 2020, 07:17:26 AM
"I've noticed a decline in the quality of officiating this season as well. Bad calls are going to happen no matter what so I don't worry about them too much. I'm talking about not knowing basic rules, not being on time, poor positioning and in some cases a poor attitude when questioned respectfully about these issues."

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

pros and cons of DVHL vs EJEPL

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 22
Views: 15163
Last post March 18, 2019, 01:44:21 PM
by Guest
2019 DVHL Applications