Author Topic: How was your coach?  (Read 9955 times)

Description:

Reply #20:
 February 21, 2020, 05:13:06 PM
So true, bigger issue is the rink that knows the lunitic coach is a problem and allows the verbal and physical abuse to continue like its a badge of honor and toughness to abuse children.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #21:
 March 05, 2020, 08:11:33 PM
my kids coach last year has 3-4 kids not wanting to play anymore
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #22:
 March 06, 2020, 07:53:39 AM
Must be a Hollydell coach they have a guy that was famous for that!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #23:
 March 11, 2020, 09:20:18 AM
I was a team manager and assistant coach for the 18-19 season for a dvhl team. I didn’t get paid or even get a discount. I treated each child like I would my own. Did my best to make sure every families voice was heard. We picked our level based on challenging my boys but not worried about winning. It was a 14u team mixed between 1st and 2nd year players. We finished 10 games below.500 in league nonleague and tournaments. We won a tournament came in as runners up in a couple. 100% of my team returned to the club for evaluations the next year. (Not all stayed after but that wasn’t my job as I saw it) when I see my boys at different rinks most of them call me coach usually followed by a hug or how much they wish I was their coach again.... in my eyes I did my job... we left the organization after my son was placed on a lower team because the A coach didn’t like me and had a complete train wreck of a coach this past year...
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #24:
 March 12, 2020, 07:00:30 AM
Nazi Hockey directors chasing good coaches away because they refuse to update and live in the past.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

NEHDA

Reply #25:
 April 26, 2020, 10:40:59 AM
Reading through the comments in the thread while concerning are not surprising at all. We have been conducting parent surveys for several years now and because we are not affiliated with an organization, parents can open up and share their true feelings anonymously and without the fear of repercussions. 

This survey structure is pretty detailed and has about 40 questions many of which are about the coaching, quality of player development and so on. One thing we can say for sure is that just because a coach "played at a high level" (College or Pro etc.) DOES NOT guarantee he will be a good youth hockey coach. In most cases it was just the opposite. A large percentage of them teach the game the way they learned it and because they played at a high level they do not believe they need to LEARN how to coach and train today's players for today's game.

There is a HUGE disconnect between playing the game at a high level, coaching, and training young hockey players. Each one of them takes time, work, education, failure, resources, and the mindset that you must CONTINUE to get better at your craft.

Many organizations get caught up in a name and feel that will be a draw for parents and players and in many cases they are right - until they are proven wrong by not doing their due diligence. Sadly, many organization heads do not even know what to ask potential new coaches which leads to poor hiring practices and ultimately a bad customer experience.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #26:
 April 26, 2020, 10:52:20 AM
This is SOOOO TRUE! A great example of coaching in the past and playing at a high level combined with narcissism and name recognition. Genesis hockey clubs 05 coach. The guy hasn't coached a 500 or better team in 5 years but parents keep flocking to him because of his name. Every team he coaches is guaranteed to lose.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

NEHDA

Reply #27:
 April 27, 2020, 07:15:17 AM
Good year, great coaches. My kid says the most important thing is a coach who doesn't call-out and embarrass kids in front of everyone, that this just makes everyone anxious and unhappy. That makes sense. These kids know -- or should know -- that this is all just-for-fun until beer league, maybe club college hockey,  and coaches who make them feel bad for not being perfect or rising to some level the kids aren't interested in or capable of rising to is bad coaching.

----------

It would be great if it was mandatory for youth hockey coaches to attend Coach Education Seminars by Rob Sedia (the owner of NewEdge Hockey Development Academy). Rob is a Professional Skills Coach and works with multiple NHL players in addition to the many younger players from about 10 years old to NCAA D1. The comment above reminds me of a topic Rob covers in one of his seminars which is "Locker Room & Bench Management".

In this portion of the seminar Rob talks about objectives and how to increase your chances of achieving them from both the coach's perspective and the player's. One example that comes to mind is an in-game example where a player makes a big mistake - let's say it is in his zone and results in a big scoring chance for the other team (or even a goal). The whistle blows and the player who made the big mistake is skating to the bench. While he is skating to the bench the coach is not only giving him the stare down but is yelling about what the player did wrong. This is called "spot-lighting" and is a dated and ineffective tactic used by too many coaches!

The player as well as almost everyone in the building KNOWS he made a big mistake! The coach thinks that by staring him down and yelling his profound words of wisdom to the player while he skates to the bench is an effective way to "coach". The fact of the matter is that the player is down and tuned out as he is skating to the bench. He is upset, embarrassed, and or frustrated by his mistake. While he hears the coach, he is NOT listening to what the coach is saying. The coach just dialed up the player's feelings of being upset, embarrassed, and or frustrated!! The coach "spot-lighted" the player in a negative way and that player is going to have a longer mental bounce back time.

So let's talk about increasing the chances of achieving our objectives. First of all, what are our objectives? As a coach (during a game) it is to help your players be ready, stay focused, be motivated, be disciplined, and to work their tails off. Did "spot lighting" the player do any of that? NO, it did the opposite. Rob's suggestion (for this example) is to not make eye contact nor engage verbally with the player who made the mistake while he skates to the bench - let that player get on the bench and gather his bearings while you (the coach) stay focused on the next line and what is ahead of you. Let the next play start (puck drops) everyone is now focused on what is happening on the ice, NOT the player who made the mistake!

This is when a quality coach approaches the player if he NEEDS to talk to him and he does so with the tried and true Build, Burn, Build method.

1 / BUILD: Start with a positive as it engages the player. "Jimmy, your compete level is through the roof today, keep it up as you are really setting a tone for us".

2 / BURN: Talk about the mistake and how to reduce chances of it happening again. "You got turned around and up against the wall in the corner, that gave him the inside lane and they were able to get that scoring chance. Let's keep that play in front of us, stick on puck, and pressure from the inside out".

3 / BUILD: End it on a positive. This way the players know you are there to help and not just point out mistakes. "Keep up that great energy level Jimmy, the team needs that!"

The last thing and something I found pretty awesome that Rob suggests/requires in this situation is that a teammate is required to give Jimmy a quick and positive "shake it off horse, we got this" type display of support.

All of this literally takes seconds and now Jimmy is staged to compete! His confidence is not shot and the chances of Jimmy doing his job (meeting his objectives) increases instead of decreases.  This is just a snap shot of some of the great stuff in Rob Sedia's Coach Education Seminars!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Video Captures Controversial Arrest Of Youth Hockey Coach

Started by guestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 16837
Last post April 27, 2018, 01:54:49 PM
by guest
Pee Wee hockey coach intense pre-game speech

Started by jayBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 8409
Last post April 30, 2018, 02:57:52 PM
by jay
Littleton Hawks 14U Hockey Coach Fired

Started by someguyBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 1
Views: 8172
Last post May 11, 2018, 04:01:33 PM
by Guest
Coach Larry Paul

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard Clinics, Camps, Tryouts, Tourneys etc.

Replies: 0
Views: 14057
Last post June 22, 2018, 03:28:51 PM
by Youth Hockey Info
Should a volunteer coach be required to take gender ID training?

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 6065
Last post July 12, 2018, 09:03:16 AM
by Guest