Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

Youth Hockey Kids Diet

(1/2) > >>

Youth Hockey Info:

Youth sports players, not NHL, D1 college or the like. Kids having fun playing youth hockey

30 years ago coach said to "carb up" before gametime. Eat a giant bowl of pasta 2 hrs before and drink a lot of water. Don't forget a nap if you can spare the time in between school work. Oh, and a nice sized chocolate bar before you hit the ice will add a little extra zip in your stride.

Post game, drink as much Gatorade as possible to replace the electrolytes lost during game play.

FFWD to today.

Coach wants johnny hockey player eating meat protein, vegetables and/or salad but be gentle on the dressing. As for the pasta, a side will suffice. Drinking water however still remains the same, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Everybody can always use a little extra sleep, so don't forget the nap. Remember that chocolate bar? Forget about it, if you need a little extra pick me up to provide the additional zip. Eat fruit or nuts.

Post game. Gatorade? Nope. Chocolate milk is #1 on the list and/or fruit juice or drinkable yogurt. Drinkable yogurt?

Weird thing is back in the day the former worked out just fine for high level hockey players. Today it seems science dictates how a player is to control their diet, either through their parents modified meal plan or a nutritionists formatted diet.

With all of this being said, 30 years ago there weren't an equal amount of allergies to spread around ie. gluten, protein, nut, egg, lactose/milk etc. Seems like every hockey or youth sports team has a list of players allergic to one thing or another. My kid can't eat this or that, or another thing.

Who follows what diet anymore? Does one thing work better than the other?

Guest:
Chicken Parm, cookies and apples

Guest:
Good topic.  You said it water is key!  Try watching your player who has been properly hydrated compared to when they are not.  Then again always amazed me to watch these kids never drink anything at all during practice or games and were decent.  And two thumbs up to chocolate milk to recharge after...best kept secret.  Still love the fruit cup concept as well with close games.  Love to hear more on this.

bardown:
Same. My son has parm with a pile of pasta and water. He normally eats about 3 hours before game time though because he wants to empty out before going to the rink HA HA. Post game is gatorade at the rink and choco milk and two pbj's at home, its a ritual.

Guest:
Our daughter will only eat pancakes for morning games or nothing at all. She says everything else bothers her stomach and she won't even drink water. She never seems to have any problems with energy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version