Author Topic: DVHL Declarations a Disaster!  (Read 17739 times)

Description:

Reply #30:
 May 18, 2022, 01:10:26 PM
Well that is what it is. We will meet those long distance travel games a few different times for weekend sets but it isn't a showcase it will be league games. Just saying it would be similar to travel we are already used to but theres no extra burden because we still get to pick our tournaments wherever we want to go to and whenever. It's travel hockey and if you don't want to travel don't sign your kids up.
I know I signed him up for travel hockey, not tier 1 travel. Not everyone has a job that allows them to take off on a Friday to drive to MA, CT, Upstate NY and Southern VA for a 9 AM game. That is the reason my son isn't playing tier 1. I was told we'd play EJ teams in NJ, that was it. So color me surprised when I read the post that mentioned the other, farther states. I only get soo many weeks off and 1 is for tournaments. Sending my kid with someone also is not an option because of separation issues since his mom passed. So yes the AHF would have been a better option if I'd known, their showcases are more local than what the EJ/DV games sound like they could to be, so yes there is an extra burden. Plus the club we left is still doing 3 tournaments so sounds like they can still pick their own tournaments to go to, they are doing DC, Hampton Rd and a local one.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #31:
 May 18, 2022, 01:20:36 PM
What are you talking about? You obviously never played tierll EJ showcase hockey then. We've been doing this for 3 years and we don't play only NJ teams. We play wherever including Maryland and Virginia. AHF is doing this too so why keep bringing up tier1. If you didn't know this you better talk to your team manager.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #32:
 May 18, 2022, 01:23:28 PM
So yes the AHF would have been a better option if I'd known, their showcases are more local than what the EJ/DV games sound like they could to be, so yes there is an extra burden.
I found we traveled more last year doing the AHF showcases and league games than I did when my son's team was doing EJ the year before.  I think both leagues try to centralize where showcases are run, most will be in the Philly area, I doubt you'll see entire age divisions head to CT if the majority of the teams are in the Del Valley area.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #33:
 May 18, 2022, 01:30:12 PM
You are correct, we only ever played in the DVHL. Our team never needed to play in the EJ as the DVHL always had enough teams. We played a couple EJ non league games that the managers would set up, that's it. The info I got was from the club we joined, like I said before they should have been more upfront with what the EJ games were going to be. They made it sound like it was going to be 5 or 6 home and 5 or 6 away games all against EJ teams in NJ, which is a reasonable drive on a Sat or Sun morning. No mention of other farther states to travel to for a weekend.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #34:
 May 18, 2022, 01:47:29 PM
You are correct, we only ever played in the DVHL. Our team never needed to play in the EJ as the DVHL always had enough teams. We played a couple EJ non league games that the managers would set up, that's it. The info I got was from the club we joined, like I said before they should have been more upfront with what the EJ games were going to be. They made it sound like it was going to be 5 or 6 home and 5 or 6 away games all against EJ teams in NJ, which is a reasonable drive on a Sat or Sun morning. No mention of other farther states to travel to for a weekend.
For example what I was told on Sat Nov whatever you could have a league game against another DVHL team and on the following Sun you may have a game against an EJ team in NJ or vice versa.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #35:
 May 18, 2022, 01:52:59 PM
So yes the AHF would have been a better option if I'd known, their showcases are more local than what the EJ/DV games sound like they could to be, so yes there is an extra burden.
I found we traveled more last year doing the AHF showcases and league games than I did when my son's team was doing EJ the year before.  I think both leagues try to centralize where showcases are run, most will be in the Philly area, I doubt you'll see entire age divisions head to CT if the majority of the teams are in the Del Valley area.
I hope you are right. Someone else posted this "We will meet those long distance travel games a few different times for weekend sets but it isn't a showcase it will be league games". This is what worries me if true, if we have games scheduled in a farther away spot it will be tough getting home at 10PM Fri and having to to be in say MA for a 9-10 start time.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #36:
 May 18, 2022, 01:59:34 PM
From what I understand, BB owns the Vipers.  They are no longer a non for profit program.  BB didn't want another program competing for the same kids in the AHF, so they did not let Hershey join.  This backfired a bit as many of the kids went to PBK instead of the Vipers.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #37:
 May 18, 2022, 02:00:16 PM
Well you were told wrong and I can verify with certainty that never happened. EJ showcases were in one place for the weekend and we played 3-4 meaningless games except for ranking on myhockey. We definitely played in different rinks but they were all in the same local area. We did this for 3 years straight when our club introduced EJ as additional hockey challenge for the kids. You either accepted it or asked for a team change in the association or an exception out of the contract to go somewhere else. You can keep trying your hardest to say you didn't want to play at 9 on Saturday in morning in Hershey PA and 3 on Sunday in Randolph NJ because that never happened. It does happen all the time when a bad team manager schedules non league games and doesn't look into the geography and time scheduling.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #38:
 May 18, 2022, 02:07:38 PM
You really should speak to your manager.   I have the EJ showcase schedule in front of me.  There is only one showcase that doesn't have games scheduled in a DVHL or exDVHL rink and that's specifically for Northern Teams.   So 60-70% of your EJ games will be Local showcases.  Then you will have some home games.   Normally your away games are clubs you don't play in your league but are clustered near your rink.   Doubt you play more than 4 away games outside of the showcases.   There maybe one day that you have to drive 2-3 hours for a game but normally you play twice when that happens so it makes the trip more digestible.   The EJ's been doing this for a while and does a decent job at scheduling.    I would wait to see the schedule before you start sweating it.   
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #39:
 May 18, 2022, 02:08:27 PM
From what I understand, BB owns the Vipers.  They are no longer a non for profit program.  BB didn't want another program competing for the same kids in the AHF, so they did not let Hershey join.  This backfired a bit as many of the kids went to PBK instead of the Vipers.

Bb to Hershey and Cap City board. We now own your rink and your org or you find another place to play or we can raise your rates so high you can't afford to exist in this rink.

Cap city, ok we are in.

Hershey, no thanks. BB okay, find a new place to play around here and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

pros and cons of DVHL vs EJEPL

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 22
Views: 15162
Last post March 18, 2019, 01:44:21 PM
by Guest
2019 DVHL Applications