Author Topic: 2024-25 Movement  (Read 37274 times)

Description:

Reply #290:
 April 13, 2024, 12:46:18 PM
Can PHC develop players? I don't know , I just know that they had, I think it was 4 former PHC players (locals) go on to win the 14U  2023-24 AAA Tier 1 National Championship with Mt St. Charles.

there are always going to be stars that no-metter where they go they would end up in NHL / D1 ..., i guess as a parent of the good AAA kid ( not the star by any stretch of imagination ) who needs a good coach/team/org - how do you determine what is good ?. there is no subjective metrics, only word of mouth. Just because team has a star or 2, does not mean its going to be good for your kid. I did talk to different parents on the same team we were planning to join, one was extremely happy, one was not, and both of them were good players, so even based on the feedback from parents you get completely different pictures about the coach.

MHR ratings, tournament wins, games wins - tell you nothing about development
Parents feedback, unless you poll all the parents on the team across multiple years - also not very reliable

what else ?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #291:
 April 13, 2024, 01:03:27 PM
Yep, I guess some kids work harder than others.  If only we had more equity and inclusion everybody could develop exceptionally in sports.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest10457,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #292:
 April 13, 2024, 01:22:40 PM
So is it FE, PHC or Rockets that's the Pinnacle of AAA Hockey in the tri-state area???????
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #293:
 April 13, 2024, 01:28:55 PM
Yep, I guess some kids work harder than others.  If only we had more equity and inclusion everybody could develop exceptionally in sports.

not about that, its about accessibility - why do you think 90% or so NHL players from Canada? its accessibility, more kids get to try it, so more kids who are very athletic ( not just effort / hard work ) go into hockey. in US they hockey is only accessible to few who can afford it. so most of the athletic kids go to baseball, basketball, football .....

it has to be 3 things ( athleticism / effort / and $$ ), kid needs to be born athlete + effort, you missing one part, you can get so far, you definitely cant go pro if you are missing one part. I agree that the effort and drive is #1, but it can get you so far.

look at MF (2011/2012), parents spending crazy money, at 2011 there were/are kids flying private from TX every weekend to play games with the team. Kids having private rinks and coaches come to those rinks before school for private lessons. Average family ( and when i mean average i mean it loosely ) cant compete with that. I agree money gets you so far, if kid is not putting effort, no amount of money will help him/her, but that does not hurt.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #294:
 April 13, 2024, 01:53:23 PM
Are you living in the 70's ? About 45% of NHL players are from Canada, 30+% from the states and most of the rest from Russia , Slovakia , Sweden, Finland. --- cold weather countries ---   
 It cost just about the same in Canada to join club / travel hockey as it does in the states.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #295:
 April 13, 2024, 01:55:27 PM
So is it FE, PHC or Rockets that's the Pinnacle of AAA Hockey in the tri-state area???????

well this year Rockets sent all the AAA ages to Nationals ( except for 13O ).
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #296:
 April 13, 2024, 02:11:06 PM
Are you living in the 70's ? About 45% of NHL players are from Canada, 30+% from the states and most of the rest from Russia , Slovakia , Sweden, Finland. --- cold weather countries ---   
 It cost just about the same in Canada to join club / travel hockey as it does in the states.

i guess my numbers are a bit old, more like 2000s though not 70s.

still population of Canada is 40mil producing 40% of players, next 3 "hockey" countries that produce another 40ish % population is almost 600mil people.

but its good to know US is catching up ( at the cost of $millions of parent's $, but nevertheless )
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #297:
 April 13, 2024, 02:17:12 PM

still population of Canada is 40mil producing 40% of players, next 3 "hockey" countries that produce another 40ish % population is almost 600mil people.

but its good to know US is catching up ( at the cost of $millions of parent's $, but nevertheless )

missed your second point about the cost, maybe there are some clubs that cost as much as in US, i don't really know how the system in CA works, but from what ive heard from CA parents there are lots more options in that country if you want your kid to play hockey, and some/many of those options are lots cheaper (including the need to travel).
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #298:
 April 13, 2024, 02:35:45 PM

missed your second point about the cost, maybe there are some clubs that cost as much as in US, i don't really know how the system in CA works, but from what ive heard from CA parents there are lots more options in that country if you want your kid to play hockey, and some/many of those options are lots cheaper (including the need to travel).

also maybe that's why its at 40% now from 90% in 2000s
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #299:
 April 13, 2024, 04:10:51 PM
I'm just sitting here watching all of the players jumping to teams far and wide after being cut by bottom 3 AAA teams. It really does blow my mind that more than a few families I know will now drive well over an hour a few times a week to play on a bottom team JUST to keep that Tier 1/AAA ego inflated. Wonder how much the kids are going to enjoy a season driving 2-3 hours a night for practice, not able to hang with the kids on the team, and getting crushed every weekend.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11920,Guest14829,Guest18967,Guest14791,Guest18832,Guest14937,Guest19907,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Delaware Hockey Situation (2024-2025 Season)

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 21
Views: 3389
Last post April 24, 2024, 05:24:08 PM
by Guest