Author Topic: DVHL Sandbagging  (Read 14349 times)

Description:

Reply #20:
 March 28, 2019, 01:25:04 PM
The thing that these sandbaggers don't understand is that winning at A level, literally means nothing.
It doesn't prove you are the best team in the league. That's what the AA does.  It usually just means you did well playing below your potential. Now I understand occasionally mistakes happen because and a team will get placed in the wrong division but if your goal is to win at the developmental level or you think it means anything to win a championship at that level, you have a screw loose and you have my pity.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #21:
 March 28, 2019, 02:18:06 PM
It's a tough issue.

First and foremost, if your club has 3 teams at an age level, you better think long and hard why your top team isn't AA.  If your team plays A-National and has winning PCT of 0.800 or better, wrong decision for the kids.

Second, the next level of sandbagging occurs when the 2nd or 3rd team for a club strategically places themselves in a lower division for the sake of wins.  Again, this hinders development too.  But, nobody cares because it's not their top team.  It's become common with the implementation of national/american.  Some clubs do this often; Haverford, Wissahickon to name a couple. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #22:
 March 28, 2019, 02:36:09 PM
Anybody else remember the year delco placed all their best bantam players on their A National team and then put everyone else on their AA team? 
The AA didn't win a game and couldn't even get the puck out their own zone most games. While the A team found "glory" destroying everyone they played.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

G D T

Reply #23:
 March 28, 2019, 02:59:42 PM
Anybody else remember the year delco placed all their best bantam players on their A National team and then put everyone else on their AA team? 
The AA didn't win a game and couldn't even get the puck out their own zone most games. While the A team found "glory" destroying everyone they played.

2018/2019  :-X

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #24:
 March 28, 2019, 03:07:21 PM
Couldn't have been this past season.

Delco 14AA  - 21GP / 4W / 14L / 0T / 1OTW / 2OTL - Which is 3rd to last in the league

Both of the Delco 14A National teams placed 6th, (Helkowski) and 7th, (Dilbeck) in the league. Out of the playoffs.

Delco team stats attached.

[attachment[/attachment]
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #25:
 March 28, 2019, 04:07:50 PM
It can't be stressed enough. If you have a problem with it, go to your president. We are not going to see any change while Colleen and Jay are running this league. I don't know the Colleen from 25 years ago or whenever she started. I'm sure her heart was in the right place. However, the Colleen now has absolutely no business running this league. She cares about the power she has and that is it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #26:
 March 28, 2019, 04:09:21 PM

I have a friend who's kid played on that team. It was the 15/16 season, Bantam A National team. I think they lost 2 games while the AA team lost every game. It was pathetic and the parents admitted the just wanted to win something. Fittingly, if I remember correctly, they ended up losing 2 or maybe all 3 games at Districts.

Delco does this a lot. Their 03 group won the Squirt AA division, then the whole team moved to PWA the next season and destroyed everyone. Meanwhile, the PWAA team was horrible.
They almost did it again this year. Some of that 03 group were joined by kids from other clubs, all clearly AA players and they original were set to play A National. Thankfully it was changed prior to final declarations as that team ended up making the playoffs while the "real" AA team won like 3 games.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #27:
 March 28, 2019, 04:16:22 PM
The Delco stats are posted here DVHL Sandbagging
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #28:
 March 28, 2019, 07:23:20 PM
The Delco stats are posted here DVHL Sandbagging

I remember watching that delco bantam AA team play their last game of the season that year.  They fought hard but as usual they were just out manned.  When it was over the kids celebrated as if they just completed an undefeated season.  I even remember one of the kids putting his hands in the air in a mock celebration and yelling "winless" while all of the other players jumped on him.  I was amazed how well they handled the situation and as bad as I felt for them, their reaction at the end of the game made me smile.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #29:
 March 29, 2019, 10:27:45 AM
No need to go too far back to see sandbagging at its finest. Just at u14 this past season

Valley forge....a American(21-1, runner up) And 2 b national (23-5, champions) and (5-22-1)

wissahickon.....a American (22-0, champions) b national (25-2-1)

No AA or A national teams. VF would have been competitive if they would have jumped up a level on the first two teams.  Wissahickon??  They just did what they always do...
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

pros and cons of DVHL vs EJEPL

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 22
Views: 15488
Last post March 18, 2019, 01:44:21 PM
by Guest
2019 DVHL Applications