Poll

What is the biggest concern in Youth Hockey

Author Topic: Parents Perspective: Youth Hockey Pet Peeves  (Read 14749 times)

Description:
Parents Perspective: Youth Hockey Pet Peeves
Topic: April 17, 2019, 09:21:51 AM

We've heard it time and again, "What is your biggest problem with Youth Hockey"?

Normally the beginning of the season and the end of the season in youth hockey draw the most criticism(s). Currently we are at the cross-roads, the end of the season and tryout season. With that being said, what do you consider the biggest issue(s).

We've added a poll to this topic and would love to hear from the parents what they consider to be their biggest concern or concerns.

*POLL DETAILS - Guests can vote, 1 vote per guest/member. Please provide details of your experience.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 April 17, 2019, 09:45:31 AM
No brainer, politics! My son was placed on the second pee wee team last week and it angers me to no end knowing he's better than a few of the coaches sons friends WHO ARE NEW!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 April 17, 2019, 10:09:13 AM
I'm probably in the minority but I worry about injuries constantly. My son moved up to U14 this past season and it's abundantly clear none of the kids know how to check. Watching these kids skate full speed into eachother with their backs turned and heads down is horrifying.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bluedevils_88

Reply #3:
 April 17, 2019, 10:38:50 AM
Politics and coaches. Wish I could pick two since both are one and the same.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest12885,

Reply #4:
 April 17, 2019, 10:47:51 AM
Coaches that focus on winning over development with antiquated practices and "systems" that stifle creativity and development and the moronic culture that emphasis breeds in organizations. At minimum, if you are paying for your kid to play, it is a developmental level. Even at much higher levels (NAHL and up) the focus is rightly switching to developmental yet the vast majority of programs in this Country are not. This is something USA Hockey is very aware of but is having a very hard time correcting.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 April 17, 2019, 10:53:18 AM
Politics/Coaching-  During evaluations this year, a coach without kids went away for a weekend with families of kids being evaluated at his age level.  They all made the team, most deserved to.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

tree408

Reply #6:
 April 17, 2019, 11:17:20 AM
I went with politics, I believe rosters are almost finalized before evals begin and there may be a few kids that move up or down, but it ends up being who knows who.  My #2 would be parents.  Some are nuts.  I try to not watch the games near the other families so I don't have to hear their spin on the refs, coaches decisions, who is isn't skating hard (without realizing their kid may be an issue on the ice).  Injury is real but that's true in any sport.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 April 17, 2019, 11:18:32 AM
How do you explain to your child that even though he tried his best and performed better than half the kids at the tryouts that he didn't make it on the team due to politics.  It seems that this is the major complaint on this forum/survey.  Why doesn't USA Hockey do something about this??? How do you as an organization like USA Hockey consistently publish articles about player development and yet are hypocritical about what REALLY goes on during tryouts.  Can we somehow make a list of the worst offending leagues because I can name a few!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 April 17, 2019, 11:26:29 AM
Personally I don't think its a big deal not making a team due to politics, IF you are not forced to then play for another team in that organization.  So I put that stupid DVHL rule at the top of my list.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bardown

Reply #9:
 April 17, 2019, 11:30:34 AM
I went with politics, I believe rosters are almost finalized before evals begin and there may be a few kids that move up or down, but it ends up being who knows who. 

Politics and this ^^^.

They're finalized before. I coached and I know exactly how the process works. The clubs don't want anybody to go somewhere else so the lower level teams which are A and B that are coached by dads are normally built on the who know's who or you platform. This happens before there is any thought of making additions or subtractions.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Youth Hockey Parents Who Video Record

Started by NewsalertsBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 12045
Last post September 24, 2023, 03:30:42 PM
by Guest
VIDEO: Hockey Parents Gone Wild! Parents Assault Ref At 10U Tourn