Author Topic: Team Trans: 1st Entirely Transgender Hockey Team Plays First Game  (Read 4950 times)

Description:

BOSTON, MA. - A hockey team made up of all transgender and gender non-conforming players had their first match in Cambridge, Massachusetts on Saturday.

Boston Pride Hockey (BPH), New England's premier LGBTQ+ ice hockey organization, is hosting Team Trans during a weekend-long “friendship series” that began November 9 at the Simoni Ice Arena.

Ahead of the match players from the team, which according to the team page includes Harrison Browne, Jessica Platt, Hutch, and Aidan Cleary, took to social media to express their excitement. The team also released shirts, available in two numbered cuts — these numbered cuts replace typically gendered cuts that many (even supposedly genderless) designs find themselves categorized by.

“I’m so excited for this weekend! I’m on my way to Boston to play with @teamtransicehockey in the #friendshipseries with @bostonpridehockey!!” Platt posted to Instagram. “It’s truly a special weekend to be able to play alongside other people like myself. We often feel hostility and are forced to potentially quit playing sports, I get I had to at one point. So to have a series like this is incredible. To few welcomed and included in sport is something that most take for granted.

“Come watch if you like! Donate if you can so more things like this can happen!”

Browne took to Twitter to say that he felt a “sense of belonging.”

“When I came out as trans I sort of lost my sense of community when I identified as a gay woman for such a long time... today I felt like I found that sense of belonging again,” he wrote.

“Team Trans may be the first team entirely made up of trans players, many of whom flew in from across the country and Canada to play in the series,” journalist Katelyn Burns shared in a tweet. “Some of the players said just stepping on the ice alongside an entire roster of trans people was an emotional experience.”

The group’s logo design is similar to the Boston Pride logo, which features a unicorn, although their version includes the colors of the trans flag.

Although Team Trans lost 4-3 against BPH at Saturday's game, there were no hard feelings.

“Hi friends! Uncle k8 here,” one of the team’s nonbinary players wrote. “#TeamTrans lost our first game to @bostonpridehock Boston in a 4-3 nailbiter, but we had a lot of fun anyway. It certainly didn’t feel like our first game together.”

K8 went on to reflect on their experience after the match.

“Look. As a trans person you’re always afraid you’re going to be let down—someone misgendering you, or questioning you, any one of the million things that even well-meaning allies do that make everything just a little heavier, a little harder,” they said. “It’s like carrying a little more weight than anyone else. Just enough to make you a little more tired at the end of the day. And that’s with folks who get it. That doesn’t even get into the constant fear that someone will be unsafe”

K8 continued: “Last night in practice, and at today’s game—in the locker room and on the ice—none of us had to carry that weight. None of us had to prove that we belong. None of us had to worry that we might need to explain ourselves.”

Team Trans next game against BPH is Sunday.   
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 November 16, 2019, 08:04:38 PM
Massachusetts.  Typical.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 November 16, 2019, 08:30:11 PM
Not surprised but why does anybody care about this?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 November 17, 2019, 05:15:04 PM
Read the article on the front page of the New York Times Sunday sports section. To the trans boy youth hockey player who watched from the stands, this was everything.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 November 17, 2019, 05:54:52 PM
Trans?  Non-conforming? I guess a billion plus years of evolution is now out of fashion. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 November 18, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
Just because a biological male wants to play dress up does not miraculously change his gender. Quite fitting that the team’s logo features a unicorn, another mythical being that simply doesn’t exist.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

The Original 2005 Minnesota Hockey Hair Team

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 4604
Last post March 31, 2019, 09:19:14 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
Team Blue Youth Inline Hockey Information