Author Topic: AHF Gretzky & Lemieux Divisions  (Read 31604 times)

Description:

AHF Gretzky & Lemieux Divisions
Topic: September 11, 2023, 04:14:06 PM
Let me preface by saying my below comments are not intended to belittle any of the kids playing. They are all out there having fun and hopefully getting better. My comments are more an indictment of Black Bear!

Is it just me or is the level of play in the Pee-Wee & Squirt AHF Gretzky & Lemieux Divisions watered down this year? It seems that rinks that fielded pure AA teams have a talent deficit, especially at the Lemieux level. I watched teams out of Igloo, Hollydell, Ice Line, NE Skate Zone and others that are almost like B teams. Last year the mixed age AA teams were deeper than this season. This is very disappointing. the DVHL and NJYHL teams are much better than the AHF teams at National/American vs Gretzky/Lemieux. I think this is because BB THF league has teams that are really AA not AAA. The AYHL teams are better and the top THF teams are at best mid-tier if playing in THF.  Just another factor that lends to BB, THF and AHF ruining youth hockey in PA & NJ!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13042,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 September 11, 2023, 05:54:44 PM
it could be, but the major problem is how many AAA teams there are in NJ/PA. i count about 12 in NJ alone, there should be 3-4 at most

So AAA(except for a few teams) is essentially AA, AA is pretty much high A, and below that, it sounds like is the scenario you see, all over the place
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12323,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 September 11, 2023, 06:12:52 PM
The number of AAA teams certainly waters down the number of competitive teams at all levels.  But this fad of the pure birth year teams did it even further.  Especially the pure minor “AA” teams.  Either the kid is good enough to make an actual AA roster or he’s not.  We don’t need to be splitting AA into major and minor now.  There’s not enough kids to support that.  I’m not sure if the issue is BB specific though.

It’s all because parents don’t want to hear their kid isn’t worthy of AA and they’ll just go somewhere else if they don’t get their way.  There are some really delusional parents at my rink who really over evaluate their own kids.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12823,Guest15756,Guest16201,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 September 11, 2023, 10:33:13 PM
This is a silly comment.  AHF killed DVHL last year and will be better than NJYHL this year at AA and A levels.  This will be proven when rankings come out
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 September 12, 2023, 12:06:29 PM
This is a silly comment.  AHF killed DVHL last year and will be better than NJYHL this year at AA and A levels.  This will be proven when rankings come out

Yeah not sure why this is silly. The A teams at G & L in AHF are very weak! The top teams may be ok, but not so of the rest. NJYHL will have some strong A teams this year and if they play AHF will destroy them. Exton & Genesis PW A are beating all but top AHF team (Tommorrow's ICe) and Genesis lost to NJYHL teams. Also, AA teams in EJHL and NJYHL will beat AHF AA teams at Pee Wee and Squirt because they have not watered down there talent by splitting AA into Pure teams. Hollydell PW A lost to Delco Phantoms and Ice Devils. You can look at My Hocking Rankings now and see the scores. There are weak teams in every league, but AHF is so watered down this year due to AAA and AA Pure. Look at Igloo for example. They lost their best talent from last year at 2013, 2012 & 2011 ages to Flyers Elite AAA and Hollydell AA pure. They could not even field teams at PW and SQ for AA the talent level is so bad. The FE AAA 2011 & 2013 should be AA and Hollydell AA teams will be good but destroyed the talent at A. It is just ridiculous to have this many teams at AAA & AA without having the talent to fill them with actual talent. Mercer 2013 AAA lost to Flyers Youth AA. What does that tell you about AAA teams?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 September 12, 2023, 07:07:32 PM
AHF is a joke. So are Hollydell and Igloo below AA. Kids playing down, so parents get to see them dominate. Kids get nothing out of skating by other players at Squirt or PW. AHF A is played like mite hockey. Best skaters win. Go to AAA and AA to see real hockey!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest12474,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 September 12, 2023, 09:48:09 PM
AAA in the area is why the rest are watered down. Way too many that shouldn't be. Most AAA is really AA and the trickle down goes from there.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest19682,Guest11803,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 September 13, 2023, 05:47:57 PM
AAA in the area is why the rest are watered down. Way too many that shouldn't be. Most AAA is really AA and the trickle down goes from there.

AAA is watered down. It is basically AA. This is why the AHF Gretzky level is a joke and is at best low A and some teams B. However the AAA teams at Squirt & PW play real hockey. Passing, give/goes, drop passes, work the puck deep, actual assists on goals, fewer breakaways, and most importantly no one going end to end through kids that can't skate! Igloo is a joke!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13938,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 September 13, 2023, 09:04:02 PM
AAA before bantam is a joke
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13212,Guest17563,Guest19881,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 September 14, 2023, 08:54:16 AM

You are absolutely right. Some of these AA teams could really put up a fight or even control/win a game against some of the watered down, pay to play AAA teams.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

When will we see NJYHL declarations/divisions for the coming season?

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 5
Views: 8629
Last post June 27, 2020, 05:34:50 PM
by Guest
When are we going to see the divisions/declarations for the coming year?

Replies: 38
Views: 17346
Last post August 17, 2020, 09:51:53 AM
by Guest
NJYHL Divisions 2020-2021

Replies: 1
Views: 7829
Last post August 04, 2020, 11:53:10 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
NJYHL divisions for this year?