Author Topic: Educate me on Tier 1 Programs  (Read 6955 times)

Description: Pennsylvania/New Jersey Area

Educate me on Tier 1 Programs
Topic: November 20, 2018, 06:32:37 PM

Son is an 09 playing SQ A.  Looking to make the jump to Tier 1 - not because of "prestige" but traveling is something we like to do (one kid) and I like the idea of 3 on ice practices per week.

What is your experience with Tier 1 in the PA/NJ area?
What should I look out for or avoid all together?
Do all of the TIer 1 programs tryout on the same day?
Is it going to be hard jumping into a squirt major team at this point considering all of the 09s have played together for a year now?

Looking for open candid conversation.  Appreciate you. Thanks
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 November 20, 2018, 07:49:06 PM
I would look for coaching. Not all tier 1coaches are good. All clubs do have tryouts on the same day. If you are playing for a good coach and a good club I would wait until bantam. focus on skating right now
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 November 20, 2018, 08:00:03 PM
Any suggestions on programs based on coaching?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 November 20, 2018, 08:12:12 PM
I am with coaching and the suggesting about looking into coaches. Do your research most clubs have parents at pee wee and below. And you will always run into politics no matter what level you try for. Your kid could be good enough but might not get a fair shake because of kids who are already in the program and moving up. He would have to be almost to a point better than every other kid on the ice to get a position after first go. You can find quality high level hockey in tier ll. Some can actually better than tier 1.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 November 20, 2018, 11:03:15 PM
No I don't have any suggestions because every kid takes to a different coach. But honestly tier 1 is a waste if you child isn't picked the first night. They would have more success on a good AA team. Puck touches are so important at this age. And if they aren't touching the puck during the game they are not at the right level.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 November 21, 2018, 07:46:23 AM
Son is an 09 playing SQ A.  Looking to make the jump to Tier 1 - not because of "prestige" but traveling is something we like to do (one kid) and I like the idea of 3 on ice practices per week.

What is your experience with Tier 1 in the PA/NJ area?
What should I look out for or avoid all together?
Do all of the TIer 1 programs tryout on the same day?
Is it going to be hard jumping into a squirt major team at this point considering all of the 09s have played together for a year now?

Looking for open candid conversation.  Appreciate you. Thanks

Have your kid tryout at tier 1 next season. The guy before me already mentioned it, you'll know if he's tier 1 material after the first tryout. Some tier 1 pee hockey teams have non parent coaches but not all so call the teams to find out if the coach is or isn't and if they plan on staying with the team next season. If he looks like he has a shot let him see tryout's through. If he doesn't make it he's still got tier ll and a shot at playing AA.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: