Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

LOYALTY and the double standard

<< < (2/4) > >>

Guest:
I feel your pain.  Been there, done that.

If I have any advice for any hockey parent, it is this:  "DO NOT FEEL LOYALTY TO ANY PROGRAM". 

Do what is best for your player.  Play for summer teams that are different than your home rink to get your name and face out there.  Pay for lessons from other coaches.

This is the time of the year where clubs crush kids for no reason.

Guest:
The part that sucks for the goalie everyone thinks will be cut is he graduates this year and was accepted to a couple colleges that have club hockey, one even came to one of our games to watch him. I was standing there at the end of the season when 1 of our more respected coaches told him and my son that they have his vote for AA this year. So he declined those colleges and decided to attend community college to play a 2nd yr and help his friends with unfinished business. Add the fact that our hockey director asked multiple times if he was coming back, it is going to be a slap in the face. Hope we are wrong.

Guest:
From what I've heard 18U is pretty tough because the numbers of teams drop dramatically so many capable, long term players end up being cut. Goalies with only 2 roster spots get hit hard. Hope the goalies find teams to play for next season.

Guest:
" So he declined those colleges and decided to attend community college to play a 2nd yr and help his friends with unfinished business. "

I assume there is more to this story than deciding not to go to a "real" college, heh, to play a 2nd year of 18U.  probably wants to try juniors perhaps?

All in all, I'd vote for college, casual club hockey, and a successful career in a public company, over the presented path.  Just saying...  Then again, there's always an Academy with online learning for 30k instead of high school! #careerchoice #div1scholarshipftw

Guest:
So I'm pretty sure the goalie they are talking about the possibly of being cut is my son. He was accepted to Alvernia, Liberty, KU and Penn State Berks. Alvernia, KU, & PS Berks are club hockey that play in the DVCHC, if Berks has enough players. At Liberty he would have been on the D3 team, if enough players.

A couple reasons he decided to go back for a 2nd yr. 1. He loves his teammates and really wanted to finish with them. 2. He felt a yr at 18 would help him get more prepared for college hockey being he is only 17, just turning 18 before the 24/25 season starts. 3. He was going to do the bullsh*t classes at community for a yr at $3,500 instead of $20,000+

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version