Author Topic: Hershey Thanksgiving Tournament  (Read 4357 times)

Description:

Hershey Thanksgiving Tournament
Topic: October 27, 2023, 01:27:34 PM
Is it me or does it seem like they are having trouble signing up teams for this year's tournament?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest18983,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 October 30, 2023, 07:44:02 AM
Travel Champs seems to be struggling to fill all of their tournaments compared to the number of teams they used to have in them.  It seems to have started with the rise of the AHF and Defender Tournaments. 

I can say our club who is Black Bear owned is required to play in two Defender Tournaments (conveniently built into our tuition)... between showcases and those two tournaments, it doesn't leave a lot of extra weekends.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest16497,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 October 30, 2023, 03:47:52 PM
In my experience, Travel Champs tournaments don't have enough structure and do not put teams into their appropriate brackets. It isn't a tournament I would want to go to given the amount of other tournaments around. They once moved my team, registered as a REC entry into the REC entry division into a division with A teams and AA teams.
Also, agree with the other comment that there are just not very many 'free' weekends anymore to even enter a tournament. My son's AHF team has 1 free weekend in October and 1 free weekend in November. We would like to do some other activities on the few days we have off from games.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 October 30, 2023, 04:31:39 PM
In my experience, Travel Champs tournaments don't have enough structure and do not put teams into their appropriate brackets. It isn't a tournament I would want to go to given the amount of other tournaments around. They once moved my team, registered as a REC entry into the REC entry division into a division with A teams and AA teams.
Also, agree with the other comment that there are just not very many 'free' weekends anymore to even enter a tournament. My son's AHF team has 1 free weekend in October and 1 free weekend in November. We would like to do some other activities on the few days we have off from games.

Completely agree on the structure and slotting teams competitively.  Travel Champs doesn't appear to put any effort into making the divisions competitive.  At least most other tournaments request video, look at rankings, etc.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 November 20, 2023, 07:27:56 AM

Completely agree on the structure and slotting teams competitively.  Travel Champs doesn't appear to put any effort into making the divisions competitive.  At least most other tournaments request video, look at rankings, etc.
I've been in travel hockey a long time and have been team manager for half of it, at all levels of tier 2. We've done 4-5 tournaments a yr with various tournament companies and not one did I need to submit video. What level, tournament needs video sent in? We've have done Travel Champs, MyHockey, OneHockey, NST, ATC and CAN/AM and not once asked for video. Many look at myhockey rankings and that's about it. The only issue I've ever had with Travel Champs, and wasn't the level of competition it was when the 2 teams playing in their game 3 was the same teams that were to play the championship game. They tried to make game 3 the Championship game instead, simple fix was ask for a refund for not following the 4 game guarantee.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 November 20, 2023, 07:34:19 AM

I've been in travel hockey a long time and have been team manager for half of it, at all levels of tier 2. We've done 4-5 tournaments a yr with various tournament companies and not one did I need to submit video. What level, tournament needs video sent in? We've have done Travel Champs, MyHockey, OneHockey, NST, ATC and CAN/AM and not once asked for video. Many look at myhockey rankings and that's about it. The only issue I've ever had with Travel Champs, and wasn't the level of competition it was when the 2 teams playing in their game 3 was the same teams that were to play the championship game. They tried to make game 3 the Championship game instead, simple fix was ask for a refund for not following the 4 game guarantee.
Plus to blame the AHF for lack of tournaments is way off. AHF doesn't make the schedule, rink schedulers do. Again we are AHF and did a tournament in Oct. and are doing a tournament Nov, Jan. and March. Our scheduler lets each team block out 3 weekends a season were he won't schedule games for each team to do tournaments. Talk to your scheduler if you aren't happy about free weekends for tournaments.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11518,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 November 20, 2023, 07:41:52 AM
Travel Champs seems to be struggling to fill all of their tournaments compared to the number of teams they used to have in them.  It seems to have started with the rise of the AHF and Defender Tournaments. 

I can say our club who is Black Bear owned is required to play in two Defender Tournaments (conveniently built into our tuition)... between showcases and those two tournaments, it doesn't leave a lot of extra weekends.
I'm a non BB team that paid just shy of $3000 for 18U and it include 0 tournaments.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 November 20, 2023, 01:09:37 PM
VIDEO, HOW? Most teams like my kids have their tournaments picked out, registered and paid for before the season is in full swing. Do you send in old tapes from last years team, or does the video get sent in from Toronto. After video review do they then overturn your registration and refund your money. While I have never been the official team manager I have helped my wife out. She has been the team manager for both my son's team for 5yrs and daughter's team for 7 and never heard of video being sent into tournaments. Travel Champs is great for an early season local tournament to get things started for my son's team, never looked into their farther away ones. Never did a Travel Champs girls tournament either.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest10341,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: