Author Topic: Looking for some advice from other parents please  (Read 5897 times)

Description:

RSG2010

Looking for some advice from other parents please
Topic: October 26, 2022, 10:49:58 AM
My son plays for a 2010 AAA team and this past Sunday we played another 2010 from Long Island. The two teams played to a 3-3 tie and I can say it was a great game.

Myself, along with some other families from our organization witnessed a confrontation after the game that was troubling enough I cannot get it out of my head.

Immediately after the game, a parent from the other team accosted their coach when he was less than 5 feet off the ice.  Being situated with the other parents above the confrontation in the stands, it appeared the conversation was centered around playing time or the lack thereof for certain kids.  The aggressive nature of the parent's behavior toward the coach was even more troubling when some of the parents on our team who live on Long Island let us know the irate parent is also the other organizations Hockey Director.

I am a parent of 2 AAA youth hockey players, a former D1 athlete, and someone who hopes to keep the sport alive and well in the TriState area.  The behavior exhibited by someone who is not only a hockey parent, but a Hockey Director in a Tier 1 organization is bad for our sport.  A Hockey Director by definition is someone who is responsible for creating an environment of fun and hockey fundamentals that keep kids and their parents coming back year after year.

After the display this weekend, I am struggling with the decision if I should reach out to the organization and let them know what occurred. The other parents and families that witnessed this all agree the  Hockey Director failed the organization, but there is a split down the middle on reaching out to their organization.

Thoughts?

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest17213,StinkyBag,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Carroll81

Reply #1:
 October 26, 2022, 05:13:58 PM
How about contacting the people involved directly.  Explain to them what it looked like to others that witnessed it. 

You saw one interaction.  You have no idea how they normally interact, any history they have, or what the actual situation was.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11776,Guest15486,Guest18547,Guest11555,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

StinkyBag

Reply #2:
 November 28, 2022, 12:20:26 PM
From the sounds of it, I can quess the team/organization and not overly surprised.

We left two years ago and never looked back.  The organization is run like a family hot dog stand and I have a good idea who the "Hockey 'Director" is that the other Long Island parents identified. 

My advice is do not waste your time with the organization because I can tell you from my personal experience it will only fall on deaf ears. If I am thinking of the same guy, the "Hockey Director" has a kid on that team. 

I hope the parents get the coaches a good gift this year having to deal with that type of support from the organization.

AAA hockey is a very small community and all the parents talk.  I heard the story you shared from parents on two different teams.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Lawnmower Parents

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 4209
Last post March 12, 2019, 09:19:05 AM
by Guest
Parents Perspective: Youth Hockey Pet Peeves