Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

Tier 1 too soon

<< < (2/4) > >>

Guest:
Unfortunately, there's no clear cut answer.  Couple considerations.....  1)  Not all Tier1 is created equal.  There are very elite teams out there with Brick level kids playing 80+ game schedules with national travel.  There are other AAA teams that may play 50 games against relatively local teams and don't operate all that differently in terms of commitment level than Tier2.  On MyHockeyRanking you can see how many games and where teams play and will note a wide disparity between Tier1 clubs  2)  Need to assess your kid.  Is he still being challenged and developing at the AA level?  If so, there's less necessity in making a move.  Also important to assess his / her desire to play.  Would being on the ice more frequently excite them or would it become a grind / burden?  3)  Need to assess your situation.  I've seen kids drop out of AAA because parents couldn't handle the logistics (i.e. driving an hour each way to practice 3 times a week) or economics of it all.  4)  Hockey wise / development wise Tier1 is better provided your kid is ready for it.  It's more ice, typically better coaching, and the competition is stronger.  Need to be honest with where your kid is at.  If he's scoring with relative ease and no one can touch him in practice, a jump might be needed to keep development going.  If he's the 5th best skater on his AA team and will become an end of the roster guy on a AAA squad it's a different equation. 

Guest:
1. Get assessed by coaches outside the area who you will never play for and tell them to give you their unvarnished opinion on where your son is right now.

2. Without seeing your son but having seen AAA teams at higher age groups, I can almost guarantee your kid needs more skating lessons. Not hockey lessons,  but skating lessons. I know this, because across the board,  all kids in this area need better skating skills, and generally,  for boys, the window for gaining skating skills at a fast pace closes at 13 years old. You can build speed between 13-16, but it's an uphill battle after 13 years old to get the finely tuned edges he'll need to maneuver at speed and stay safe. Before 14yo, put as much money and time as possible into skating skills. Seriously,  5-8 hours a week of pure skating and skating lessons without stick in hand before 14yo would not be too much.

Guest:
I think I know what AA program your son plays in. The coaches and most of the 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011 players at your rink are all leaving for Tier 1. With all the best coaches and players leaving, who will your son play with next year? The coaches are all about skating and passing. That is all that is needed at this level. If your son wants to get better, follow the coaches to Tier 1. If your son wants to stay at same level, stay put. How much improvement has your son shown under his current coaches compared to previous seasons? I bet a ton! Your son needs to skate better and will not get that at your current rink. Skating is the name of the game at all levels now. Do you son a favor, follow one of the best skating coaches in NJ to Tier 1 and watch his game soar!

hockeydad321:
I know your rink and dilemma. Coaches leaving for Tier 1 and taking best players at 2014, 2013, 2012 & 2011. Who will be left to play with next year? Who will coach? You have one of the best skating coaches around leaving. How much better is your son after 1 year with these coaches? A friend of mine who played as a youth and raised 2 hockey sons gave me advice when my son started playing: "Find the best coach you can and follow him. Once the coach can't teach your kid anything more, find the best coach and follow him. It is all about the coaching before your kid hits 15." Best advice I was ever given! Do yourself and your son a favor and "follow the coach"!

Guest:
My family is making jump to Tier 1 PeeWee next year. We spoke with the coaches and are assured no tournaments further than 2 hours away from rink, with only 2 hotel stays for showcase/away games in CT/NY. No plane rides to Chicago, Florida, Detroit or Anaheim like other parents I spoke with that are leaving current Tier 1 team due to $20k+ in travel costs. Our team not doing that so make sure you find the right team for what fits your needs. If you can play 2 hours or less away and limit travel costs, Tier 1 is a way better buy than Tier 2. Tier 1 at $5200= 3-4 days on ice, 1 day off ice (licensed trainer), 2 day/month video, 2 days/month skills with Flyers skills coach, actual summer training camp, ice time included starting in August, 2 tournaments, real Goalie coach on ice every practice. Uniform package another $700. Total $5900. Think of what you get with Tier 2 for $3450- 2 days on ice, 2 tournaments, 2 skills/month (if rink has ice time and doesn't jam all skills into September). Uniforms= $500. Total $4K. Now factor in ice time for extra work _$50/hour/week and summer camp costs. Totaled up you pay more at Tier 2 for less. We are Tier 2 this year and at $6100 with more than 1.5 months left until tryouts. We will probably spend another $600 on semi-private lessons until tryouts. Tier 1 is a better buy and if your kid is serious, better to get in Tier 1 now than wait and possibly be passed over. Parents that have not experienced 3 days of ice time/week have no idea how fast your child improves. Skating is the game at all levels no and the window to improve skating closes around 13-14 years of age. You can improve edges some and speed some, but your stride is complete once puberty hits. Better to perfect stride now to give your kid the best chance at success!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version