Author Topic: Parents in the rink for games during Covid  (Read 6100 times)

Description:

Parents in the rink for games during Covid
Topic: July 08, 2020, 02:48:36 PM
I'd read a few places that clubs/rinks are considering not having parents in the stands for games.  I was curious what the prevailing opinion on that is.  Part of me says it's for the kids, not the parents.  But the parent in me says that's bs, I paid all this money and spent all the time carting to practices and games to sit in the parking lot and not see the product I'm paying for?  I only have one child playing, but I think about how crappy that is for parents with multiple players running all over creation on the weekends only to not be able to partake in games.

If we're so worried about Covid that we won't let parents in the rink, why are we having a season at all?  Most kids may not be in the high risk categories, but they are super spreaders of any bug.  What going to stop them from taking the virus from a parent at home to the rink and giving it to the opposing team?  Then that team takes it home.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 July 08, 2020, 04:48:23 PM
Our rink is asking that only 1 parent attend practices and clinics they are holding during the summer and it appears that they will be doing the same during the regualr season. They are also asking that kids come dressed in their gear so they don't have to use the locker rooms.

I have found it frustrating, but understand the reasoning behind such rules. My husband and I have been switching off in the middle of our sons practice so we both get to watch.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 July 09, 2020, 12:23:43 PM
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 July 09, 2020, 12:39:33 PM
I know not every parent is *that* parent but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if parents weren't allowed in the stands.

In the DVHL there usually aren't packed stands for regular season games so allowing some in might be doable. Playoffs, tournaments and high school games can be messy, particularly when rivals schools play each other.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 July 10, 2020, 09:31:52 PM
It is definitely for the kids however this is a family sport. It’s what a lot of families do with their weekend time so to keep the parents out is kind of a big deal. Like another parent pointed out, the stands are not usually packed for the younger kids. I would say check temps at the door, wear masks and most definitely distance families. The stands are a large enough area to distance appropriately. There has to be a better way than just keeping parents out altogether. I’m praying that the kids will have a season at all at this point.We are at the mercy of our government. Let’s keep on a positive note and keep the kids on the ice where they belong and we can fight the parent battle in due time. ✌️♥️🏒
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 July 11, 2020, 11:06:08 AM
The problem is the rink then needs to completely disinfect the stands between each use. This can add a half hour or more between games, remembering that rinks are not hiring more staff to disinfect--same people doing more work.

It also increases the number of people to keep track of for contact tracing.

Every rink and club is supposed to have a published (on website) protocol for how they will handle a Covid-19 case or exposure. I haven't seen any. Which means when (not if) a case shows up and a club or rink can't produce their plan, DOH is going to look at how many people were being allowed in, how strict rink and club was, and decide to shut down a whole rink or team.

Stay out of the rink. Fewer contacts means kids have a better chance to play.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest13789,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 July 13, 2020, 03:41:21 AM
You can see on LiveBarn that Twin Ponds in Harrisburg is holding youth and adult games right now. Plenty of people in stands. No social distancing on benches and kids jammed right up near each other practically sitting on each other's laps, coaches not wearing masks. Wonder how long before Department of Health shuts them down again. Governor now saying any youth sports where kids can't keep six feet apart must have cloth face masks. Nothing on their website about how often they are cleaning rink or how they plan to handle positive cases. That is a requirement of all rinks and clubs to make their action plan public.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 July 13, 2020, 03:58:45 PM
This probably goes against USA Hockey rules.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 July 19, 2020, 01:17:44 PM
Today we all get to sit outside at Twin Ponds and the kids have to go in fully dressed — if it means they get to play, so be it — I don’t like it but it’s better than the alternative — we paid for a subscription to live barn — hopefully most of the rinks  have livebarn
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 August 01, 2020, 10:19:53 PM
Not really sure where the no parents allowed came from.  Outdoor sports going on has players and spectators all over and close together. No limits.

Can’t find the no spectator guideline in CDC guidelines for Covid.

All I saw was limiting the amount of spectators. 50% capacity.

In terms of disinfecting; there are power sprayers (like foggers) that businesses have been using for large areas. Only one person needed to operate.

Just seems strange. Where did the rinks come up with that guideline?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Lawnmower Parents

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 4214
Last post March 12, 2019, 09:19:05 AM
by Guest
Parents Perspective: Youth Hockey Pet Peeves