Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

How to handle problem Fathers?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Guest:
Just as bad as having fathers on the bench at midget level. All the players know they are there to push their kid to the top forward or defense line, when the kids don't deserve it.

Guest:
I was a yeller at B and AA. When my kid made AAA I stopped. Probably just identifying that it wasn't helpful. Not because anyone said anything to me.  I feel better about myself now and happy that I was able to make the change for both my older and younger sons.

Regarding parent coaches,  it really comes down to knowledge of the game and fairness. Martin St Louis was coaching his kid on the Bantam Minor Mid Fairfield team last year and is now coaching for the Canadians.  I doubt any of the parents had a problem with that.

hockeydad321:
Parent coaches are like any other coach. Some are good/some bad. We have parent coach and he is harder on his son than other players. He is a good coach and we stay with him year to year.

Parent spectators are another issue. 98% of parents are great. It is the other 2% that give hockey parents a bad name. This is not unique to hockey though. Soccer, Baseball and Football all have those parents too. I think we notice it more in hockey because we are with the parents all the time, even practice, compared to other sports. Also being indoors makes these parents louder.

Guest:
So, a parent shouldn’t cheer for their child’s goal? Just sit there and remain stone faced if their team is losing?

Guest:
Cheering for a goal while losing is fine. Acting like the goal was a game winner while down 10 goals, over the top. Coming into locker room after loss if your kid scored and acting like team won, not a good look. Just read the room parents!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version