Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

Cap City families plans for 2023?

(1/4) > >>

Guest:
The news has made the rounds that BB is axing Cap City as a travel brand next year.  They are trying to push their current travel players to York and PBK.  The plan is to keep the Vipers as a house/feeder organization.

So where are going?  PBK is supposedly trying to focus on AAA.m, but I assume they will still have some tier 2.  York may be a long way for some players.  The only other AHF option is Lancaster.  Dvhl options are Central Penn and Pottstown if they keep playing from the Bodyzone.  That’s it unless there’s a reformation of the Hershey Jr Bears.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Guest on January 28, 2023, 04:44:27 PM ---The news has made the rounds that BB is axing Cap City as a travel brand next year.  They are trying to push their current travel players to York and PBK.  The plan is to keep the Vipers as a house/feeder organization.

So where are going?  PBK is supposedly trying to focus on AAA.m, but I assume they will still have some tier 2.  York may be a long way for some players.  The only other AHF option is Lancaster.  Dvhl options are Central Penn and Pottstown if they keep playing from the Bodyzone.  That’s it unless there’s a reformation of the Hershey Jr Bears.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't say PBK is focusing on Tier 1, it is the Central PA option for T1, but PBK still offers a very strong Tier 2 program.  This season, PBK rostered 14 tier 2 teams and 8 tier 1 teams and would expect similar numbers next season.  With three pads at KLA and then the option to also practice at Twin Ponds, plenty of ice time available.

Guest:
will Hershey come back?  I still don't understand the demise of that organization if someone can give me some background. 

Guest:
For Hershey it's pretty simple, they don't have a rink to call home. BB owns TPE and Palmyra while operating York.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Guest on January 31, 2023, 08:10:08 AM ---For Hershey it's pretty simple, they don't have a rink to call home. BB owns TPE and Palmyra while operating York.

--- End quote ---

I agree and would add that parents/players that were looking for more ice time to develop players were coming to PBK due to a much stronger commitment to Power Skating and a lot more options for skills/skating sessions at KLA to supplement team practices. 

Stronger players the last few years that had aspirations to play Tier 1 were shifting to PBK around PeeWee/Bantam age as well which was slowly eroding HJB's numbers.  Once AHF/Black Bear appeared, you saw the decline of HJB accelerate quickly in the last 12 months.

Will be interesting to see what happens as Black Bear prices are announced and I don't think the larger commitment to hockey that PBK requires is a fit for all families... some want travel hockey but are okay with just two team practices a week. 

It comes down to what is best for each family's situation and expectation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version