Author Topic: DVHL OFFICIATING  (Read 13949 times)

Description:

Reply #60:
 January 23, 2020, 12:20:16 PM
you are a ref, if you do a good job, nobody will yell at you.

While I love the simplification of how that is supposes to work. Your thinking is flawed.
Half of the people (players/coaches/fans) will always be disappointed in the refs calls.
ALWAYS
Not all but the vast majority of fans can only see the play through their (insert team color) tinted glasses.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #61:
 January 27, 2020, 11:42:47 AM
“The officiating outside of the mid-Atlantic is a night & day difference.”

I have to say I agree with this post.  I was an on-ice official for over 30 years and got my start while living in Rochester NY.  When I transferred to the Philadelphia area for my job, our referee chapter President pulled me aside to tell me that the Philadelphia area is very political and poorly run.  I really didn’t think anything of it until I started to see the politics at work.  It’s been the old buddy system for the last 20 years.  There is no mentoring of younger officials with an experienced ref; the “buddies” running the seminars quote bible and verse how your not to ref 3 games in a row – yet there they are assigning 3 games to themselves; I could go on and on but this area is definitely “jinxed” when it comes to maturity of running the officiating program locally.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #62:
 January 28, 2020, 12:01:15 PM
, our referee chapter President pulled me aside to tell me that the Philadelphia area is very political and poorly run. 
Interesting
The only referee group that uses the nomenclature of a "chapter" would be NIHOA.  And NIHOA in the "Philly area" is only used in some prep school games.
Would you like to be more specific with your thoughts?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #63:
 January 29, 2020, 09:51:39 AM
If you think the officials are so bad, maybe you should take the training every year, go through all of the requirements annually, and lace up your skates and get out there.  :P

Ah my favorite, instead of entertaining the fact that officiating in youth hockey actually does dangerously suck, just say... if you don't like it, then maybe you should do it...

I have a better idea.  Spend some of that USA hockey gold mine revenue stream to do some real training and continuing ed/workshops for these bumbling cash seeking buffoons.

Lol! Yes, you must have it right. Obviously coming from someone that has never played, coached or reffed the game in their life. Seriously, shutup you ignorant fool! And that goes for the rest of you parents complaining about the reffing at your kids B level, aka IN HOUSE, hockey game.

Don't start ripping on refs when you are clueless. Smh...
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #64:
 January 29, 2020, 09:52:59 AM
ok, ref person, good answer!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #65:
 February 04, 2020, 11:29:31 AM
I absolutely agree we as officials need more training and if they are going to continue to allow kids to officiate they need to always be with an adult or seasoned official.  I can tell you that having another official who doesn't know what they are doing on the ice makes it that much harder for us to keep your kids safe.  The bottom line though is there are not enough refs and that the seasoned refs are at the higher levels and so parents of 12u and down you get what is available.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #66:
 February 04, 2020, 12:46:50 PM
I absolutely agree we as officials need more training and if they are going to continue to allow kids to officiate they need to always be with an adult or seasoned official.  I can tell you that having another official who doesn't know what they are doing on the ice makes it that much harder for us to keep your kids safe.  The bottom line though is there are not enough refs and that the seasoned refs are at the higher levels and so parents of 12u and down you get what is available.

People always act like it's solely the referee's job to keep kids safe. Meanwhile, the coaches get a pass. The people complaining about the refs are the same ones that give their kids' coaches a pass when the coach ignores or even encourages play that crosses the line.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #67:
 February 04, 2020, 01:15:40 PM
I think this has more to do with unhappiness with refs who "let things go" to the point where a game becomes unsafe.  Yes, a coach or parent who encourages dangerous play is an issue, but a separate issue.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #68:
 February 04, 2020, 01:43:30 PM
I think this has more to do with unhappiness with refs who "let things go" to the point where a game becomes unsafe.  Yes, a coach or parent who encourages dangerous play is an issue, but a separate issue.

This, this, this!!!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

pros and cons of DVHL vs EJEPL

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 22
Views: 15161
Last post March 18, 2019, 01:44:21 PM
by Guest
2019 DVHL Applications