Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

LOYALTY and the double standard

(1/4) > >>

Guest:
Clubs want loyalty and commitment from their players but will toss that same player to the trash in a second. The club my son plays for will be having 2 18U teams with the need for 4 goalies. For the 1st eval we had 8 signed up, 7 returning and 1 newish one. The club cut 2 returning goalies after day 1 leaving 6. Our one 18AA spot is a lock so that leaves 5 going for 3 spots. As a skater dad I'd say 4 of the 5 are pretty even, 3 returning and the newish one. Being they are even this is were loyalty from the club should come in. The 3 returning are with the club 4+ years were the newish one was with the club yrs ago and left because he was to good for them. Now that the club he left for is having turmoil we are good enough again. From the look and sound of things one of the clubs top goalies from last yr will be cut. I know my son and other players want him to be on their team, not only is he a very good goalie, he is a locker room leader.

Guest:
I lost track in the commentary, but were the 2 (returning) that were cut, really good?

It is very important as a goalie parent, if there is any doubt, to talk to your coach/hockey director beforehand. If they can't give pretty much a 100% guarantee or contract early, you need to start looking at other places.

Guest:
Sounds like pretty stiff competition.  Even if clubs are loyal to kids, it sounds like there aren’t enough goalie spots for even the returning players.  Hopefully some are willing or able to play out.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Guest on April 17, 2024, 09:07:49 AM ---I lost track in the commentary, but were the 2 (returning) that were cut, really good?

It is very important as a goalie parent, if there is any doubt, to talk to your coach/hockey director beforehand. If they can't give pretty much a 100% guarantee or contract early, you need to start looking at other places.

My kid didn't play with them but from what I saw they weren't that impressive. From what I heard the one was decent when healthy but he missed an extended amount of time every year.
--- End quote ---

Guest:
last yrs stats for the top 5
level 16AA GP 23 GS 19 GGA 1.82 SV% .922 W15 L5 T0 PP/SHGA 13
level 16AA GP 27 GS 25 GGA 2.93 SV% .897 W8 L15 T0 PP/SHGA 23
level 18A GP 17 GS 17 GGA 2.18 SV% .9 W12 L3 T2 PP/SHGA 6
level 18AA GP 31 GS 23 GGA 2.4 SV% .892 W8 L14 T1 PP/SHGA 18
level 18AA GP 22 GS 22 GGA 2.43 SV% .903 W17 L5 T0 PP/SHGA 12

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version