Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

How to handle problem Fathers?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Guest:
My favorite dads are the ones that celebrate even in losses. Dad on our team goes crazy if his son scores, even if game 11-2 blowout. Stands up and claps like a fool. At end of game is smiling ear to ear and is happy as can be. Meanwhile rest of the team is in tears from the blowout loss and he's cackling in the locker room. Dad howls if his son performs a simple toe drag. Never mind that the son does it then instantly turns it over. Dad coaches kid from stands/behind glass with some sort of sign language he invented. This angers the coaches. Kid is the worst player on team- refuses to play defense, cowers along the boards and slows down if another player comes near him. Constantly cherry picking in front of net, while team mates fight for puck on the boars.  Dad thinks he is the next McDavid.  It is so obnoxious- parents roll their eyes and move away from this idiot. Amazing how one bad parent can ruin the entire team dynamic. Season can't end fast enough.

Guest:
Cmon now the moms are just as bad.  We’ve got a few that howl and scream anytime any of our players get knocked down.  I’ve taken to moving away from the stands and watching from somewhere else because it’s annoying.

Guest:
You are absolutely correct, both parents are annoying. The best place to watch the game and be away from the parents is the penalty box. That's where I go for every game, home and away. I also agree with the coaches comment for the younger player especially. A coach all about winning at mite/squirt/1st year peewee and not actually teaching the game is a problem which drives young players away from the sport. That goes for all sports, a good patient coach that cares about teaching the game and not just the W is what young players need.

Guest:
Who loves hearing the tier ll parents who talk about the dad coaches who shouldn't be trying to win anything but instead teaching our kids the game? If my kids are going to make it to college or pros they're going to need to be playing in competitive tier 1 with dedicated no parent coaches and non stop training. It takes a special kind of mindset for a kid who really wants to make it to the next level and it isn't going to be their dad coach who is going to get them there. 98% of the kids playing want to win and the other percentage of the kids who don't care will be done playing within two years.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Guest on February 01, 2023, 02:38:59 PM ---Who loves hearing the tier ll parents who talk about the dad coaches who shouldn't be trying to win anything but instead teaching our kids the game? If my kids are going to make it to college or pros they're going to need to be playing in competitive tier 1 with dedicated no parent coaches and non stop training. It takes a special kind of mindset for a kid who really wants to make it to the next level and it isn't going to be their dad coach who is going to get them there. 98% of the kids playing want to win and the other percentage of the kids who don't care will be done playing within two years.

--- End quote ---
My son is in travel for 6yrs and only had 1 parent coach. Parent or non parent coach needs to coach how to play the game properly at a young age and not worry about just getting the W. Many tier2 programs have non parent coaches and the attitude between the coaches should be the same. At mite-peewee it was all about learning the game, positioning, puck control things like that and it paid off. The coaches were happy for a W but that was not the focus and we were an average team but once we hit 2nd year peewee and bantam we were a top 5 team each year. Our club doesn't have tier1 but every year they are putting kids in the Juniors and are playing from D1-D3 in college. Just this year we have 4 juniors in high school sign contracts to play in the Juniors their senior year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version