Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

How to handle problem Fathers?

(1/6) > >>

Guest:
I have been around hockey my entire life- played as a youth and now coach my child. I have seen an increase in problems with hockey fathers especially at the mite and squirt level. hese fathers also happen to be ex-players and think they know everything. I think everyone knows these types of fathers: Screaming at their kids from puck drop to final horn, complaining about the coaching, pointing out mistakes other players make and worst of all selfishly applauding if their kid scores even if the team was crushed. I have seen fathers slam their kids against a wall because they played a bad game. Children of these problem fathers are crying before they get off the ice because they know they are in for a long drive home. One father walks into locker room after every game his kid scores, has a grin ear to ear, congratulates his son because he scored, and ignores the fact the team lost by 9 goals. Never mind the fact that his son played a terrible game and was on the ice for 9 of the 10 goals the other team scored.  I cut a few kids this year because of their parents, only to find out 2 players I took had worse parents.

This is a huge issue in hockey. What are others thoughts on this?

Guest:
Why is the father in the locker room?   That is a safe sport violation.

Guest:
I think this probably is everywhere now unfortunately. Not just hockey or sports. IMO, there is nothing you can do because it will be turned on you and it sounds like these types of parents are never going to accept that they are in the wrong nor will their kid ever make it to the NHL

hockeydad321:
Same thing on our team. Player and dad think player is the best on team. Not shy about telling parents, coaches and teammates kid is best and carries team. Insulting to teammates and other parents. Kid not well liked due to being a braggart! Kid is good, but not best. Too aggressive and out of position constantly. Dad thinks kid is Tier 1 player and carries team. Not true as kid cut from Tier 1 team in March and cut from this Springs Elite team that is all Tier 1 players. Kid is un-coachable/only listens to "beer league" dad. Dad constantly yelling at son and arguing with coaches gets annoying very quickly. If son has bad game, both make excuse and say entire team played bad. Again, insulting to teammates/other parents. Getting bad reputation at multiple rinks. Very sal situation. Impossible to stand near at games. Other parents want them out next year.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Guest on January 26, 2023, 11:52:09 AM ---I think this probably is everywhere now unfortunately. Not just hockey or sports. IMO, there is nothing you can do because it will be turned on you and it sounds like these types of parents are never going to accept that they are in the wrong nor will their kid ever make it to the NHL

--- End quote ---

Agreed and it is not limited to fathers, moms are just as bad. Hell, the grandfather of one of the girls on my daughter's soccer team acts up at some of the games. He'll yell at the ref and I've overheard him talking shit on some of the other players and the coach. When my parents come to games, they just want to see their grandkids play and could care less about anything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version