Author Topic: Were Your Tryouts Blacked Out On Live Barn?  (Read 4760 times)

Description:

Were Your Tryouts Blacked Out On Live Barn?
Topic: April 25, 2022, 11:02:20 AM
What rink?  What club?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 April 25, 2022, 12:00:24 PM
Typically tryouts are blacked out because your club doesn't want an apposing club to see what or who they got. I found this to be true for 5 of the 7 yrs that my kid has tried out. 2 of those yrs parents weren't allowed in and it was blacked out. The covid eval yr no parents were allowed in but the club used youtube for the parents, not livebarn.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 April 26, 2022, 03:54:01 AM
Creepers be creepin.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 April 26, 2022, 07:27:36 AM
Indeed! how can anyone possibly develop kids when people can watch tryouts?

agree creepers creepin

did the bear leave the cave?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 April 26, 2022, 07:50:43 AM
Delaware Ducks used to not allow parents in the rink and went as far as to cover the windows with paper.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 April 26, 2022, 08:10:28 AM
It is smart for clubs not to allow parents to see the tryouts, it makes it easier for the club to play favorites. If parents were allowed to watch they'd be able to call out why lesser players are on a higher team or on a team at all. Our old club didn't allow it, the 3 coaches on the ice who didn't evaluate but ran the drills came and told me my boy was in the top 5 in net out of the 7 trying out, he was the only one cut. If the coaches didn't say anything I would of thought he got cut because he was out performed which would have been better than knowing the truth. The one coach tried to help him find a new team because he knew my boy got screwed.  This year his new club allowed parents and I chose not to watch and I was happy he made A until 2 other parents said they didn't understand why their kids were placed higher than mine because he was better, again would have been better if no one watched to share.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 April 26, 2022, 09:01:11 AM
From my experience my club has been fair with placements and don’t play favorites with the kids.  The parents are a whole other story though.  I stopped volunteering because the cliques make it impossible to have your voice heard if you aren’t in the clique.  I’ve wanted to change orgs for several years but ultimately it’s my son’s activity and not mine.  As long as he’s treated fairly and enjoys playing there, he’ll stay.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 April 26, 2022, 03:02:26 PM
My son had a mix of both but what purpose does having them open serve? What feedback am I going to give that is welcome or helpful? None. How many parents have an overinflated sense of their kid's ability and will just take the opportunity to air grievances? How many parents will disrupt the process and call out to their kids on the ice? In general, coaches want to win and if there is a kid who is clearly better than another one the better kid will be taken. Any time their is a discrepancy or a kid got "screwed" it's more likely that two kids were close and a judgement call was made. If you're new to a club and you want a AA spot you have to unseat a kid who was there previously and who has a body of work on file with the coach. You need to be much better than that player to take their spot. It's difficult to have 2 hours of time outweigh a year or two or more. At the end of the day if you feel like your kid is a level below where they should be that should become obvious when practices and games start. If it's not obvious, as in your kid isn't scoring 100 goals or shutting out everyone, then they are at the right level whether you agree with that or not.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 April 26, 2022, 04:04:03 PM
My son had a mix of both but what purpose does having them open serve? What feedback am I going to give that is welcome or helpful? None. How many parents have an overinflated sense of their kid's ability and will just take the opportunity to air grievances? How many parents will disrupt the process and call out to their kids on the ice? In general, coaches want to win and if there is a kid who is clearly better than another one the better kid will be taken. Any time their is a discrepancy or a kid got "screwed" it's more likely that two kids were close and a judgement call was made. If you're new to a club and you want a AA spot you have to unseat a kid who was there previously and who has a body of work on file with the coach. You need to be much better than that player to take their spot. It's difficult to have 2 hours of time outweigh a year or two or more. At the end of the day if you feel like your kid is a level below where they should be that should become obvious when practices and games start. If it's not obvious, as in your kid isn't scoring 100 goals or shutting out everyone, then they are at the right level whether you agree with that or not.

Well said. Coaches already have 75% of the spots on their team picked out from year to year. It is the last 3-4 kids that are up in the air. The coaches see their players for an entire year. If your kid is part of the 25% and you are not on that coaches team, see if he runs private sessions or coaches clinics and sign up. It may be the only way to get noticed. Also your kid may be better than 3-4 kids chosen, but the coach may need a third line player and may think your kid won't fit. Choosing a team is tough and only the coach knows what he wants. Also 70% of parents think their kids are better than they really are. I look at my 2 kids and are amazed that coaches want them on a team. My opinion of their play is below what their coaches think. I would rather be in my position than the parent who thinks their kids are great and the coach screwed them. In the end the only thing that matters is- 1. your kid is having fun 2. they are working hard and getting better. These things can happen at any level. Just enjoy the ride!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 April 27, 2022, 03:25:37 PM
If 75% are predetermined why waste everyone's time. Put the one's you want on the team you fell and the rest on a lower team. Wait 2 weeks and then allow the higher teams coach to go to the practice and take the 4 top players he wants to round out the team. It happens even with the eval so why have it. Now you have a once hopeful team and crushed their moral before the season even started.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Aston live barn feed down?

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 3
Views: 2877
Last post October 03, 2020, 10:03:41 PM
by Guest
Black Bear and Live Barn

Replies: 7
Views: 7961
Last post November 11, 2020, 01:53:30 AM
by Guest
2018 North Penn Ice Hockey High School Tryouts

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard Knights Archives

Replies: 0
Views: 3769
Last post August 14, 2018, 08:16:41 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
PHILADELPHIA LITTLE FLYERS '07 PW MAJOR TRYOUTS - 2019-2020 SEASON

Replies: 5
Views: 7593
Last post March 19, 2019, 11:36:53 PM
by Guest
TRYOUTS! It's that time of year again....

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 2
Views: 5760
Last post March 12, 2019, 03:48:38 PM
by Guest