Author Topic: Should I consider Tier 1?  (Read 11635 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 March 10, 2021, 03:29:08 PM
No! Absolutely not! Do not waste your money on Tier 1 until age 16. It’s all about puck touches right now. Believe me I’ve been involved for years and have seen kids at the same skill level take two different paths and the one who stays at the lower level always ends up playing at the same level as Tier 1 players when reaching college level at half the money spent!

There's no reason to rush to Tier 1, unless your son is no longer having fun at Tier 2 and wants a new challenge. I would also say if you have the means, it can't ever hurt to have your son go to a Tier 1 tryout. But yes, touching pucks and having fun is the most important thing at this age.

However, this comment I quoted is also way off. If your son is good enough and loves hockey, bantam minor is really the age you should be exploring it. The number of players who are AA midget players and end up playing any level of junior or collegiate hockey is extremely low. This should not be your focus at 7, 8, 9, 10 years old OBVIOUSLY. But when your son is in 8th-9th grade these are certainly conversations that should be had.

Sadly, there are enough Jr leagues around that pretty much anyone can play if they really want to. Have you looked at the Little Flyers Jr B roster the last few years. There are kids who barely played AA who made those teams.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #11:
 March 11, 2021, 09:16:13 AM
I agree to find the right coach, Tier 1 or 2. AAA is a rink money grab and not worth it in most cases. We've had our kids in Tier 1 and Tier 2. The Tier 1 coaches were knowledgeable but not good coaches. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 March 15, 2021, 04:12:50 PM
Consider trying to get your kid on a Full Ice Mites team, my son played with 8U as a 7U a 60/40 split full ice to half ice two years ago and all Full Ice Mites this year. There are various teams within organizations that have this already in place under AAU. Each of the locations you are considering have these teams within them. In terms of best coaching around? 2012 and 2013 are being dominated by one program in the area, Venom hockey. I expect that to continue into the 2014 birthyear. If you go that route and the team is good enough, be prepared to play outside of the NJ/NY/PA hockey bubble to include the North East and the Midwest (parents in this area who think their kids are good have NO IDEA unless they have experienced high level play in those areas). More than happy to point you in the right direction if needed.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest15351,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 March 17, 2021, 10:20:59 PM
Venom is absolutely a step ahead of most Tier 1 full ice mite programs in area primarily because full ice is all they do. They do not practice or play half ice AT ALL, unlike, say Brigade, who double as half ice MM. They also play top competition on East coast and Midwest and often have a brutal travel schedule. We will see how successful the program remains now that they’ve moved from Pennsauken to Hollydell.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest13625,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 March 18, 2021, 09:38:14 AM
Venom is absolutely a step ahead of most Tier 1 full ice mite programs in area primarily because full ice is all they do. They do not practice or play half ice AT ALL, unlike, say Brigade, who double as half ice MM. They also play top competition on East coast and Midwest and often have a brutal travel schedule. We will see how successful the program remains now that they’ve moved from Pennsauken to Hollydell.

Why are 7-8 year old kids playing teams from the midwest and having a "brutal" travel schedule?

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15116,Guest19867,Guest11615,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 March 18, 2021, 10:05:05 AM
this is insane..... they are 8!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #16:
 March 18, 2021, 10:52:31 AM
Why are 7-8 year old kids playing teams from the midwest and having a "brutal" travel schedule?

How else is daddy, I mean little Johnny going to make it to the show if he's not on the scout's radar.  You know they're scouring the mite scene looking for the next Austin Mathews.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #17:
 March 18, 2021, 04:33:53 PM
Try Little Flyers original and oldest Tier I in town! Best rink and coaches, Dave Dorman among others, Stephanie in charge lovely man! No comparison at every level!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #18:
 March 18, 2021, 06:01:52 PM
Try Little Flyers original and oldest Tier I in town! Best rink and coaches, Dave Dorman among others, Stephanie in charge lovely man! No comparison at every level!

I'm hoping this is sarcastic, right? Outside of the 18 team, the rest of their club is terrible. Most of the teams play in the American divisions as well and don't even do well there.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #19:
 March 19, 2021, 09:19:59 PM
There is some method to the madness involved. Because there are so few full ice mite teams in area that can hang with Venom they often had to seek out competition elsewhere, particularly in the YEHL, a league that encompasses elite teams from Chicago, Minnesota, Connecticut, and NY. They found out rather quickly that they are Tri state good but not quite ready to take on the powerhouse programs like GTS hockey or the Connecticut Bolts.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Hollydell 2018 tier 1 status? Is this happening?

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 8487
Last post May 14, 2018, 09:09:33 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
Educate me on Tier 1 Programs

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 5
Views: 6953
Last post November 21, 2018, 07:46:23 AM
by Guest
Tier 1 vs Tier ll Hockey A to Z - More Bang For the Buck?

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 19
Views: 35493
Last post June 29, 2020, 08:41:10 AM
by Guest
Revolution Youth Tier II

Started by RevolutionBoard Youth Hockey Info Center

Replies: 0
Views: 9141
Last post March 06, 2019, 12:36:45 PM
by Revolution
Revolution Youth Tier ll NEW PRICING!