Author Topic: CanAm - Lake Placid  (Read 5590 times)

Description:

CanAm - Lake Placid
Topic: March 08, 2022, 08:32:35 AM
Has anyone done a CanAm tournament in Lake Placid this season? We are preparing for ours this weekend and from what I have seen it's been a Sh!tshow so far.

Completely get that tournament organizers do these to generate a profit(not out of altruism), but if they are going to take control of the hotel and meals by charging exorbitant up charges, they should at least try and do it well. The kids won't care at the end of the weekend, but very aggravating knowing what this costs on a per individual basis. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 March 08, 2022, 08:59:40 AM
Lake Placid is the most expensive tournament you'll most likely play. You have to stay at Lake Placid or at least we did and nothing is inclusive. It's all about the money and the only reason people do the tournament is for the chance to play in the rink. The amount of money the hotels charge is highway robbery. You are looking at around $1200 to start and that is before all other expenses when you get there.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 March 08, 2022, 10:42:46 AM
Just got back from Can/AM Lake Placid. This year is a mess for a variety of reasons. First, this past weekend was the first event at the rink since Covid started. Second, the rink complex is under construction. Third, many of the hotels are limited due to upgrades, other bookings, and/or closures.

Yes, everything there is expensive from meals and drinks in town to merch to the fees. However, if you look at the total cost versus a stay to play tournament it isn't too far off. Lower your expectations for the meals. They aren't very good but they are edible and free.

Here are some tips: Bring a case of water, drinks, and snacks. Be prepared to walk. Parking sucks if you aren't staying in town. Don't expect to be able to get groups into restaurants.

We love it up there and had a fun weekend of hockey. I hope that we get to return again in a future season.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13629,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 March 08, 2022, 03:23:01 PM
My son's team went about 8 years ago when he was first year PWAA. I actually have the email saved that said what the cost was and back then for 5 of us (2 parents, player, 2 non players) it was $1500. I believe breakfast and dinner were included. From what I remember it was a relatively crappy buffet. There weren't many other tournaments that all 5 of us went to, so it is hard to compare costs, but I don't remember spending anywhere close to that other places. I'm sure we spent a closer to $2000 once you factored in lunch, snacks, gas, etc. Ultimately you are paying more for the experience. To this day my son still says it was the most fun he's had at tournament.
Our team booked early so we stayed at that Crown Plaza right next to the rink. It definitely made a huge difference because we really didn't need to get in the car the whole time we were there. I think the only place we drove to was the bobsled run.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest17214,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 March 08, 2022, 08:21:18 PM
Been there twice and it was well worth the money.  Had the best time in an amazing location.  Squirt and Pee Wee levels. Great memories for the kids and parents. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest17446,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 March 09, 2022, 08:08:17 PM
The disneyland model meets youth hockey tournaments.  black bear all-inclusive tournaments are next.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest19687,Guest19908,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 March 14, 2022, 08:38:19 AM
what a shame, we were there the year before covid. For $1200(2 people) we got an average breakfast buffet and a pizza party at the hotel we stayed in(courtyard). We got an above average buffet for dinner at the crowne plaza and a hour+ dj party with open bar also at crowne. We had to buy lunch 1 time the entire weekend. Discounts to different activities, his entire team did the bob sled and white face mountain lift. The tournament itself was well ran and the opening ceremony really made the kids feel like they themselves were in the Olympics. $1200 wasn't bad when you think about the grandparents that opted not to do the package paid over $900 for 3 nights at the same hotel.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: