Author Topic: Contract ? At this age?  (Read 5170 times)

Description:

Contract ? At this age?
Topic: March 03, 2019, 06:15:44 PM

We are knew to travel hockey

Local rink said we could be evaluated later this month but had to sign a contract? Is this true? What options do me and my husband have if he doesnt like it?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 March 03, 2019, 06:48:21 PM
DVHL or NJYHL?

If it's the DVHL you are required to register and pay the fee which is typically the first tuition payment, (around $300). If you don't like what you see after that tryout you have to ask to be released and it's up to the club whether or not to reimburse. Most don't but they do normally grant your release. NJ is different, you can tryout where you want but it's $75 per tryout. PA independent teams are normally the same as NJ.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 March 04, 2019, 10:18:54 AM
Most DVHL teams will require FULL PAYMENT to secure a release if you don't like it.  Worst thing I've ever seen in youth sports.

Many teams don't even post their coaches before tryouts. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12139,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 March 04, 2019, 10:39:52 AM
I've only heard of that when a club covets a player they know will be effective somewhere else. I only heard of that once in 8 years. They will keep the tryout fee which is your first payment it's normally around $300.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 March 04, 2019, 10:59:51 AM
Most DVHL teams will require FULL PAYMENT to secure a release if you don't like it.  Worst thing I've ever seen in youth sports.

Many teams don't even post their coaches before tryouts. 

They don’t post the coaches because with the exception of any hired coaches what levels the parent-coach kids will be placed at until after registrations and evaluations are completed.  They may have an idea of which parents will be coaching at they age level, but team assignments may not have been finalized.  Some program may still be looking for parents to coach, which again will be based on registrations.  As a parent, unfortunately you go into this not know what team your kid will wind up on or who their coach will be, yet you have to commit financially to the program.  This protects the club, as they will need to field a team and rent the ice time, but it is not a very parent/player friendly rule.  If you don’t like it, there is always house league.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 March 04, 2019, 11:06:39 AM
No, if you don't like it, Don't try out. 
You'd be amazed how easy it is to pick your team after tryouts. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 March 05, 2019, 10:01:40 AM
If you don’t like it, there is always house league.

Or NJYHL or EJEPL.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 March 05, 2019, 02:48:05 PM

Ha s anybody ever heard of a player or the parents picking the players team? Seems nonsensical, teams would be stacked or really bad however you look at it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 March 05, 2019, 04:26:06 PM

Ha s anybody ever heard of a player or the parents picking the players team? Seems nonsensical, teams would be stacked or really bad however you look at it.

I'm sorry, I guess I was not clear.  I meant go pick the team you want your kid play on.  As long as you are realistic about your kid's talent and the level that he/she should be playing at, there are always teams looking for kids after tryouts.  Waiting allows you to pick your team without the financial risk and as a bonus you will know who the coach is, who is already on the team, and if the team it is good situation for your kid. Not for everyone but worked for me.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Release from a contract???

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 31
Views: 15667
Last post May 25, 2021, 08:35:09 AM
by Guest