Author Topic: College Hockey: D3 vs Club  (Read 7623 times)

Description:

College Hockey: D3 vs Club
Topic: June 04, 2019, 12:40:02 PM

Aside from any differences between the talent level or the quality of the games does anyone have first hand experience on the differences between D3 and Club College Hockey?

Best I can tell most D3 schools are smaller and don't offer as many of the education choices that many large state schools (with club hockey) have, which could be problematic for some.

We have experience with D3 schools with other sports and realize having a coach recruiting your kid at those schools can help with their chances of being accepted and getting a more robust financial aid package.  Does that ever happen with club teams? 

Do you have to pay to play at a D3 hockey school? I understand club teams can cost about what you would pay for travel hockey.  Is that correct? 

Are there any other difference that a parent or player should be aware of, when considering these two options?

Thank you for your input.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 June 04, 2019, 03:48:03 PM
If you are paying to play hockey in college, you shouldn't be playing hockey in college.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest17084,
Members reacted angry1:
Guest13119,
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 June 04, 2019, 05:19:15 PM
If you are paying to play hockey in college, you shouldn't be playing hockey in college.

So just give it up then.  Who cares you enjoy it. Who cares it keeps you in shape or sane or it is just plain fun.  Don't play. become a hermit, go buy an xbox, sit on the couch, and gain 100 pounds.
What a stupid answer.
Kids play all sorts of club sports in college. None of them are free.  Hockey is more expensive than most but most don't have to worry about ice time. There are lots of kids playing those club sports that could play for a NCAA sanctioned team but chose not to do so. In fact I know a few that turned down D1 scholarships and later played on club teams in the sport of their choice.  I have known others that got hurt but still wanted to play the game even if they couldn't play at a higher level anymore.  All are very happy to have club sports as an option.  But since you said they shouldn't be playing for a program like that, I will have to go tell them to stop and make sure all the schools end their club sport programs too.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12401,Guest17623,Guest11816,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest10436,

Reply #3:
 June 04, 2019, 06:04:11 PM
I'll second that just dumb. Look into the schools and find out what the cost is. They should be comparable to playing club growing up anywhere from around 3k to 7k but if the school organization has an alumni they could very well be helping to fund keeping costs down. I don't know if you can get a scholarship for club or Dlll though.

My .2$
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 June 04, 2019, 07:43:01 PM

Obviously from someone who has no first hand experience at anything.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12577,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

tree408

Reply #5:
 June 05, 2019, 07:17:13 AM
How  about my mens league, if i'm paying to play hockey in adulthood, should i not be playing hockey in adulthood?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest18610,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest16197,

Reply #6:
 June 05, 2019, 11:11:12 AM
Same goes for Junior Hockey.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 June 05, 2019, 04:27:32 PM
Same goes for Junior Hockey.
Says another guy that has nothing constructive to contribute to the discussion.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 June 06, 2019, 06:22:08 AM
And this answer my friend is the exact mentality that kills youth hockey. Clueless people this guy must coach!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 June 06, 2019, 08:13:32 AM
There is no reason why playing in college at club or D3  should be frowned upon. I played with several guys who played club/D3 and D1. The price index mentioned above to play is accurate but the alumni donations and fundraising almost completely erases a players financial obligation to play. Some might be lucky enough to have to pay nothing but it's totally worth it for those who want to continue playing competitively for their school they're part of. PLAY!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12205,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

PERSPECTIVE: College Hockey, Recruiting, NCSA And More

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 5262
Last post October 09, 2020, 10:56:18 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
Common Parental Misconceptions How College Hockey Recruiting Works