Author Topic: How to handle problem Fathers?  (Read 9759 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 January 31, 2023, 06:31:21 PM
My favorite dads are the ones that celebrate even in losses. Dad on our team goes crazy if his son scores, even if game 11-2 blowout. Stands up and claps like a fool. At end of game is smiling ear to ear and is happy as can be. Meanwhile rest of the team is in tears from the blowout loss and he's cackling in the locker room. Dad howls if his son performs a simple toe drag. Never mind that the son does it then instantly turns it over. Dad coaches kid from stands/behind glass with some sort of sign language he invented. This angers the coaches. Kid is the worst player on team- refuses to play defense, cowers along the boards and slows down if another player comes near him. Constantly cherry picking in front of net, while team mates fight for puck on the boars.  Dad thinks he is the next McDavid.  It is so obnoxious- parents roll their eyes and move away from this idiot. Amazing how one bad parent can ruin the entire team dynamic. Season can't end fast enough.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15291,Guest15739,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest13123,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #11:
 January 31, 2023, 07:52:03 PM
Cmon now the moms are just as bad.  We’ve got a few that howl and scream anytime any of our players get knocked down.  I’ve taken to moving away from the stands and watching from somewhere else because it’s annoying.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13334,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 February 01, 2023, 10:12:07 AM
You are absolutely correct, both parents are annoying. The best place to watch the game and be away from the parents is the penalty box. That's where I go for every game, home and away. I also agree with the coaches comment for the younger player especially. A coach all about winning at mite/squirt/1st year peewee and not actually teaching the game is a problem which drives young players away from the sport. That goes for all sports, a good patient coach that cares about teaching the game and not just the W is what young players need.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11033,Guest10249,justahockeydad,Guest10221,Guest17956,Guest15706,Guest18555,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 February 01, 2023, 02:38:59 PM
Who loves hearing the tier ll parents who talk about the dad coaches who shouldn't be trying to win anything but instead teaching our kids the game? If my kids are going to make it to college or pros they're going to need to be playing in competitive tier 1 with dedicated no parent coaches and non stop training. It takes a special kind of mindset for a kid who really wants to make it to the next level and it isn't going to be their dad coach who is going to get them there. 98% of the kids playing want to win and the other percentage of the kids who don't care will be done playing within two years.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest19326,Guest10528,Guest17047,Guest13835,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest12896,Guest17169,Guest14087,Guest12644,Guest17740,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 February 02, 2023, 08:47:15 AM
Who loves hearing the tier ll parents who talk about the dad coaches who shouldn't be trying to win anything but instead teaching our kids the game? If my kids are going to make it to college or pros they're going to need to be playing in competitive tier 1 with dedicated no parent coaches and non stop training. It takes a special kind of mindset for a kid who really wants to make it to the next level and it isn't going to be their dad coach who is going to get them there. 98% of the kids playing want to win and the other percentage of the kids who don't care will be done playing within two years.
My son is in travel for 6yrs and only had 1 parent coach. Parent or non parent coach needs to coach how to play the game properly at a young age and not worry about just getting the W. Many tier2 programs have non parent coaches and the attitude between the coaches should be the same. At mite-peewee it was all about learning the game, positioning, puck control things like that and it paid off. The coaches were happy for a W but that was not the focus and we were an average team but once we hit 2nd year peewee and bantam we were a top 5 team each year. Our club doesn't have tier1 but every year they are putting kids in the Juniors and are playing from D1-D3 in college. Just this year we have 4 juniors in high school sign contracts to play in the Juniors their senior year.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15925,Guest12797,Guest16306,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 February 02, 2023, 12:01:24 PM
Well your wrong there. NCAA D1 and D3 recruit globally and they aren't looking at tier ll players period unless they're a phenom who has no access to a tier 1 team anywhere so that comment that your club is putting kids there is a bold faced lie. Playing Jrs isn't what it used to be. If you have $10-$12 thousand dollars to burn on junior hockey every team around will sign your kid and it doesn't matter what level they played throughout their childhood including if they never got past B. The EHL, and the USPHL are riddled with tier ll A, AA, and B players because the kids parents paid to play. End of discussion. As far as D1, D2, D3 college club is concerned any kid can play there too. The club team has to take players if they say they want to play and there is availability on the roster. The really bad players wind up riding the bench or doing team related ambassador type stuff for the club. They don't have to play but they do have to be given some sort of responsibility.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11487,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest10940,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #16:
 February 02, 2023, 02:03:14 PM
Well your wrong there. NCAA D1 and D3 recruit globally and they aren't looking at tier ll players period unless they're a phenom who has no access to a tier 1 team anywhere so that comment that your club is putting kids there is a bold faced lie. Playing Jrs isn't what it used to be. If you have $10-$12 thousand dollars to burn on junior hockey every team around will sign your kid and it doesn't matter what level they played throughout their childhood including if they never got past B. The EHL, and the USPHL are riddled with tier ll A, AA, and B players because the kids parents paid to play. End of discussion. As far as D1, D2, D3 college club is concerned any kid can play there too. The club team has to take players if they say they want to play and there is availability on the roster. The really bad players wind up riding the bench or doing team related ambassador type stuff for the club. They don't have to play but they do have to be given some sort of responsibility.
We have players playing in the ACHA, CHF, DVCHC, a pair playing NCAA D3 after a short stint in the Juniors and 1 that made Penn State Main Campus after transferring from Penn State Harrisburg, granted he never dressed for a game. Did I say they were all playing NCAA D1-D3 or just that they play D1-D3 which is accurate. Heck most tier1 kids will end up playing club hockey as well and don't worry your kid won't be in the pros like mine and the other 98%

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11602,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #17:
 February 02, 2023, 03:13:16 PM
We have players playing in the ACHA, CHF, DVCHC, a pair playing NCAA D3 after a short stint in the Juniors and 1 that made Penn State Main Campus after transferring from Penn State Harrisburg, granted he never dressed for a game. Did I say they were all playing NCAA D1-D3 or just that they play D1-D3 which is accurate. Heck most tier1 kids will end up playing club hockey as well and don't worry your kid won't be in the pros like mine and the other 98%

As a parent pointed we also have a kid playing at Kings College and Arcadia which are NCAA D3, his kid also got a partial scholarship to play at UoD
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest16433,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #18:
 February 02, 2023, 06:20:40 PM
How did this devolve into a discussion on college hockey? I guess you are the parents this thread is talking about. I hope everyone takes a step back to realize youth sports should be about the kids and having fun. Whatever level a kid plays (AAA, AA, A, B) nothing matters but having fun.  Parents should not be living vicariously through their kids. My wife and I have a rule: if the game stops being fun then time to take a break or find a new sport.

Back to problem parents now. My kid gets very upset about these idiot parents cheering for a cherry picker goal in a 16-0 game or coaching from stands. It's embarrassing.  Some parents just idiots. Hey morons, read the room! Can't wait 'til end of season. Two crazy pops on team driving me bonkers. One cheers for kid's goal when getting killed and other won't stop coaching his kid from stands. To the former pop- your kid is B player at best so give it up. To the latter pop- your kid is good, but does not carry the team- every takeaway= 2 turnovers. To both pops- neither of you know what the hell you are talking about. Playin' beer league/ club hockey in the '90's did not make you the next Scotty Bowman. Won't be with these fools after March 1st. Leavin' for beautiful Sewell- Dunlop's here I come!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest18514,Guest14770,Guest13541,Guest13582,Guest19275,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest18343,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #19:
 February 03, 2023, 07:22:41 AM
It looks like it started with guest 13s reply to guest 12s reply and went from there when guest 13 reply said tier2 kids won't make to college hockey. I agree 100% that parents are a huge issue at games, from yelling at the refs, their kid, the other teams kids and parents. I also agree that coaches attitude can be a problem and can lead to the overly hyped up parents. Have you ever played Lancaster, we were down with running clock and the Assistant Coach was going nuts on the bench after each goal like it was the game winner. the parents see it as ok so they follow suit. I never coached hockey but I was a head coach in youth baseball and my 1st rule was for the parents, no yelling at the kids or umps. I did not yell, I would talk to the player when they came off the field about what happened. When a parent broke that rule they were sent to their car. I only had to do it twice, once at a game and once at a practice, they learned quick to cheer but not to be out of hand. My son personally loved covid hockey due to no parents allowed in the rink, he thinks it's worse now than before covid almost like parents are making up for lost time.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11993,Guest13773,Guest18849,Guest10518,Guest14856,Guest15436,Guest15661,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Happy Fathers Day

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 3677
Last post June 17, 2018, 08:45:48 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
Fortnite: A Pro Hockey Problem Too