Author Topic: Running clock/ clock stoppage  (Read 6806 times)

Description:

Running clock/ clock stoppage
Topic: January 30, 2023, 11:30:23 AM
So some things that I noticed more this year from last is the running clock and coaches wasting time. We had a couple games were the team up would get a penalty and the coach would argue the call for 20-30 seconds with the ref as the clock ran wasting the penalty time. The clock needs to be stopped for penalties to prevent this from happening. I also noticed at some rinks more than others that clock operators are slow to stop the clock when they are winning. This past weekend the clock stopped at the whistle when we were tie, a little slow to start when we were up 1 and very slow to stop when we were down 1. The 3rd period alone after every whistle the clock ran for 6-14 secs after the whistle, this continued until the parents from our team brought it to the refs attention and he watched for it, he then went and talked to the operator, no time was added though but it stopped happening. I run the clock for all our home games, it's not hard.

Has anyone else notice this as well? How do you go about requesting a rule review on this and the offsides, needs to go back to delayed offsides. The icing on a penalty kill I'm ok with, you are shorthanded for a reason and shouldn't be able to just ice the puck and waste time.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15398,Guest19437,Guest16592,Guest11761,Guest17068,Guest15416,Guest11451,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 January 31, 2023, 08:02:47 AM
 I agree with the offsides and icing rules, I'd add that at Midget on an icing the team that ices the puck should not be allowed a line change. As for the clock, yes it happens. Parent volunteers who are acting as officials are to be neutral, but that hardly ever is the case. A good official will tell the clock operator to wait a few seconds before restarting the clock, I've even saw a ref go into the box and fix the clock.

We played 2 non league games one weekend in New York, the team had a paid clock and score keepers. It was a retired couple that would be at the rink and got paid $15 a game and they'd do anywhere from 6-10 games a weekend. It was very nice talking to them from the penalty box, they said the parents were more than happy to pay them for they could enjoy watching their kids play and they did a fantastic job, they even played good music. Maybe this is something that our local rinks can look at doing. I'm sure we have retired people in the area that like hockey and would like some extra money, I'd do it when I retire in 15years.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest17800,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 February 02, 2023, 07:13:33 AM
That does sound like an easy way to make extra cash after retirement but I'd want $20 a game, $10 a piece. Parents I know would be more than happy to split that cost up not to do it. What do you consider good music? I heard some pretty crappy music this year at the rinks.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 February 02, 2023, 11:34:16 AM
They played Metallica, Black Sabbath, GNR stuff along those lines, no rap. What stood out was like at a penalty they did I fought the law, Bad to the Bone and when it was a kids 2nd penalty they played Oops I did it again and others. On a breakaway goal they played Bobby V. MR Lonely and when we scored our one goal they played Shania's that don't impress me much. They also played what a man what a man what mighty good man when our goalie made an amazing glove save. The used what looked like a kindle with at least 50 songs edited to what they wanted to play. They showed me the app, wish I could remember it. It was just a fun weekend at the rink.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11109,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 February 07, 2023, 12:19:04 PM
Go sit in the box with the home score keeper than if you are thinking you are being cheated.   They can't stop you.   To be honest I think you are looking for something that isn't there but if you think you are being ripped off do something about it.   I have 20 seasons of hockey under my belt between my two sons and I never thought a score keeper was purposely trying to get over on us.   
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest15013,Guest15243,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 February 10, 2023, 07:28:49 AM
Only having 10yrs of hockey under my belt I'm not as seasoned as you, but I definitely have seen it. If it's true that it stopped when the ref went over then it was being done on purpose. My home rink has parents guilty of doing it and are proud of it, the one parent bragged about costing the visitor 5 min of comeback time. He starts shaving time as soon as we are up 1 goal, no matter the score he always starts it on time. I have also witnessed coaches wasting penalty time during a running clock arguing and again our coach takes advantage of it, simple fix is don't go down by more than 5. Going into the box with the scorekeeper and looking over their shoulder will do nothing. I've been in the penalty box for our team were it's all open from box to box and I told the home scorekeeper they missed shots on both goalies while they were talking and the response was F-off. The biggest offenders this year that I saw it happen at was VFC, Team Philly and our 1 dad.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest16875,Guest17767,Guest19199,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest19125,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #6:
 February 10, 2023, 12:51:11 PM
Running clock is supposed to stop for goals, penalties and injuries.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest11663,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #7:
 February 11, 2023, 08:35:02 AM
I've only ever seen the running clock stop for injury, never for penalties or goals. Is that in the rule book somewhere because I don't remember reading that part and would love to see it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13905,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #8:
 February 12, 2023, 01:20:45 PM
Got a good one for you guys. We had the home team putting the wrong kids name in the score sheet to keep a player from getting 4 penalties. Watched live scoring and the site showed one number but he wasn't the one in the box. brought it to officials attention and they did nothing. The one kid had 5 penalties but on logged for 3.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #9:
 February 16, 2023, 08:48:33 AM
Got a good one for you guys. We had the home team putting the wrong kids name in the score sheet to keep a player from getting 4 penalties. Watched live scoring and the site showed one number but he wasn't the one in the box. brought it to officials attention and they did nothing. The one kid had 5 penalties but on logged for 3.
Was this at Bridgewater against the Rockets 16A team on 2/11? The game before ours took over 2hrs and I over heard the parents from the visiting team complaining about a similar thing. The visiting teams goalie had no issue sticking up for himself and his teammates, I think he had 2 or 3 roughing penalties. It was a very physical game with 1 ejection and I'd guess somewhere between 20-30 penalties. I was surprised that the kid from the Rockets that stuck his stick between the goalies legs from behind and tried to lift and pulled was left to walk off the ice. I know hockey is physical but that is going far beyond that. For how physical and long the game was, it was fun to watch. A back and forth that ended with the visitors winning in the shootout. They also weren't happy with the scorekeeper for running the clock after the whistle when they were shorthanded. The coach we played against went over to talk to the refs about the game time slot, and was told to get lost. Our game was to start around 230 but ended up starting around 330. The game before us started on time at 1240 and ended just around 3. I'd pay to watch those 2 teams paly each other again.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase: