Author Topic: How to handle problem Fathers?  (Read 9755 times)

Description:

Reply #20:
 February 06, 2023, 11:49:56 AM
Just as bad as having fathers on the bench at midget level. All the players know they are there to push their kid to the top forward or defense line, when the kids don't deserve it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15339,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #21:
 February 07, 2023, 01:31:58 PM
I was a yeller at B and AA. When my kid made AAA I stopped. Probably just identifying that it wasn't helpful. Not because anyone said anything to me.  I feel better about myself now and happy that I was able to make the change for both my older and younger sons.

Regarding parent coaches,  it really comes down to knowledge of the game and fairness. Martin St Louis was coaching his kid on the Bantam Minor Mid Fairfield team last year and is now coaching for the Canadians.  I doubt any of the parents had a problem with that.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest13976,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

hockeydad321

Reply #22:
 February 08, 2023, 01:11:16 PM
Parent coaches are like any other coach. Some are good/some bad. We have parent coach and he is harder on his son than other players. He is a good coach and we stay with him year to year.

Parent spectators are another issue. 98% of parents are great. It is the other 2% that give hockey parents a bad name. This is not unique to hockey though. Soccer, Baseball and Football all have those parents too. I think we notice it more in hockey because we are with the parents all the time, even practice, compared to other sports. Also being indoors makes these parents louder.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest11705,Guest13064,Guest19307,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted heartreaction:
Guest14282,

Reply #23:
 February 08, 2023, 03:13:53 PM
So, a parent shouldn’t cheer for their child’s goal? Just sit there and remain stone faced if their team is losing?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest15238,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #24:
 February 08, 2023, 07:39:51 PM
Cheering for a goal while losing is fine. Acting like the goal was a game winner while down 10 goals, over the top. Coming into locker room after loss if your kid scored and acting like team won, not a good look. Just read the room parents!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest19901,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest14002,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #25:
 February 19, 2023, 09:44:28 AM
Another season is coming to an end. Fun, but way too long. Met some new friends again, bu I now have 2 more sets of parents on my list to avoid. 3 seasons of hockey and 6 parents on my list. A pattern has formed- 2 difficult parents/team/season. Praying next season breaks the pattern and I am still at 6. What a crazy sport!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest12306,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #26:
 February 19, 2023, 08:19:54 PM
Good luck, it to my son's second year at 16u to not have annoying parents
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #27:
 February 20, 2023, 08:31:22 AM
Good luck, it to my son's second year at 16u to not have annoying parents
Sorry for the horrible grammar. It tool until my son's 2nd yr of Midget hockey not to have annoying parents
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #28:
 February 20, 2023, 02:30:20 PM
Exactly! Another example of a great parent coach is the Valley Forge Minutemen 08(14U). Their coach is Alain St. Hilaire, who played D1 at Sacred Heart. While I am not a member of the 08 team, I am in the organization. Watching their practices and knowing a couple kids on the team, they are structured, the kids seem very happy, and they are a good team, having won the AY and competing with other top teams. While some parent coaches are always going to abuse the situation, there are others that are in it for the overall team, rather than just their kid.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest14688,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest11108,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Happy Fathers Day

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 3677
Last post June 17, 2018, 08:45:48 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
Fortnite: A Pro Hockey Problem Too