Author Topic: Cost Creep  (Read 3131 times)

Description:

Cost Creep
Topic: March 21, 2023, 10:51:21 AM
I am not sure why there is a surprise that costs are slowly heading higher for the BB clubs.  You are moving from a not-for-profit model to a for-profit model.  It will only get worse.  That being said, when comparing costs between clubs, you do need to fully understand what is included in each.  Some clubs include tournament costs.  $100 per skater per tournament is a decent estimate to use for comparative purposes.

The difference between for-profit and not-for-profit tuition will only get worse IF the buyer allows it to.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 March 24, 2023, 10:09:25 AM
I left a BB rink before last year for a non BB, DVHL rink to save money. The distance added an extra half hour each way per practice and home games. I put 2 more tanks of gas in my vehicle a month costing roughly $100 extra a month = roughly $700. So I ended up saving nothing, even lost money and the kid played less games than if we would have stayed where we were. Going back to the old rink this year.

The following is from another topic, fits this one too.

"Look into what you get for the money. Does it include tournaments? I think all BB rinks include 2 tournaments and Team Philly includes tournament fees as well. Delco includes play in the EJ or tournaments, to do both cost extra. You'd have to play in the DVHL and EJ to equal or come close to the amount of games you'd play in the AHF. They extra fees that the Philly area BB teams have maybe a wash in the end.

If you look around a non BB non Philly club in the AHF is charging 1900-2900 from 8u-18u and includes no tournaments. So add roughly $300 to do 3 tournaments and your up there with BB/Philly clubs. On the other side I saw a non Philly DVHL team advertise no team costing more than 1900, that is just to play in the DVHL. We will add $300 for 3 tournaments and from I heard about $450 for EJ play totaling at $2650. The differences in cost isn't there when you add the extra cost in gas to drive farther to save a couple hundred dollars, again a wash."

Wish I thought more before making my decision last year.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest14503,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest15661,Guest17419,Guest15297,Guest16327,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 March 24, 2023, 03:52:21 PM
I left a BB rink before last year for a non BB, DVHL rink to save money. The distance added an extra half hour each way per practice and home games. I put 2 more tanks of gas in my vehicle a month costing roughly $100 extra a month = roughly $700. So I ended up saving nothing, even lost money and the kid played less games than if we would have stayed where we were. Going back to the old rink this year.

The following is from another topic, fits this one too.

"Look into what you get for the money. Does it include tournaments? I think all BB rinks include 2 tournaments and Team Philly includes tournament fees as well. Delco includes play in the EJ or tournaments, to do both cost extra. You'd have to play in the DVHL and EJ to equal or come close to the amount of games you'd play in the AHF. They extra fees that the Philly area BB teams have maybe a wash in the end.

If you look around a non BB non Philly club in the AHF is charging 1900-2900 from 8u-18u and includes no tournaments. So add roughly $300 to do 3 tournaments and your up there with BB/Philly clubs. On the other side I saw a non Philly DVHL team advertise no team costing more than 1900, that is just to play in the DVHL. We will add $300 for 3 tournaments and from I heard about $450 for EJ play totaling at $2650. The differences in cost isn't there when you add the extra cost in gas to drive farther to save a couple hundred dollars, again a wash."

Wish I thought more before making my decision last year.

Okay Murray, sure sounds like a real lazy Black Bear effort at marketing.

First off DVHL teams play the same amount if not more than AHL teams and pay much less. No rink is 50 miles away and would require 2 extra tanks of gas a week. Two total bullshit lies right off of the bat. AHF tournaments are mandatory playing the same teams you'd play during a regular season in the DVHL. At least we get to pick where we want to go and they are voluntary.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest14349,Guest10411,Guest14517,
Members reacted dislike:
Guest18243,Guest14546,Guest14265,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 March 24, 2023, 06:49:32 PM
The comment says 2 more tanks a month not a week. Where did you get 50 miles, it says another half an hour drive each way. The closest rink to me is 50min, closest non bb is 1hr15 min, the closest DVHL team is 1hr25min. What the commenter said makes kind of sense to me as far as gas goes. But I guess you know where they live and the distance to the rinks. Do we know if the commenter played just in the DVHL or in both the DVHL and EJ, if they did just the DVHL they could have easily played less games.

Not sure what you mean about tournaments, anybody can enter any tournament from any league any where. Their fees include 2 tournaments. Are you confusing the showcase with tournaments?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest18700,Guest16778,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 March 27, 2023, 10:27:21 AM
"Okay Murray, sure sounds like a real lazy Black Bear effort at marketing".

Ok guest commenter, at least create a profile. Not sure who you were calling Murray, the other guest comment or the person he quoted from another topic. I'm the person he took that from and ensure you my name is not Murray. The info in my comment can be found with some simple research.

You say DVHL teams played the same amount or more games. Lets look at the DVHL teams, they played 21-24 games. AHF full season teams played 36-40 games. I guess you assume that all DVHL teams played in the EJ as well. That would be the only way to equal or surpass the AHF game totals or you assume that only the DVHL played nonleague games which would also be false.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
Members reacted like:
Guest16402,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 April 03, 2023, 10:18:06 PM
Cost Creep?  He loves money!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

AAA, Elite, High Energy The Cost Of The Top Level Abbreviation

Started by YHI TeamBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 10
Views: 13142
Last post March 28, 2022, 05:18:51 PM
by Guest
Let's discuss cost, one more time