Author Topic: Question for Goalie Parents  (Read 3225 times)

Description:

Question for Goalie Parents
Topic: March 26, 2023, 11:22:34 AM
My kid used to play goalie several years ago. what i have seen (and heard) lately, is that rinks everywhere need goalies.

I see so many teams, even at lower levels with two goalies. if goalies are so hard to find, why arent parents doing more to jump around to find a team where they can have their own net? sure a team could be better, but for parents (low A and even B), do you think sitting half the time is best for your kids development? and im shocked rinks will charge both goalies full price.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #1:
 March 30, 2023, 08:49:13 AM
More than likely teams are posting about needing goalies because they want a second or upgrade what they had show up. I've been a team manager for 12yrs and have seen it happen multiple times.  In the past 3yrs we had both those situations happen at our club. After evals the club posted they were looking for a goalie and held a special eval for it. One showed up and bumped the one goalie off the bottom team. The yr before that same goalie that got bumped was put on my kids team with his parents agreement that he'd start 1 out of 5 games and a 30% discount just to have a second goalie. Out of all the league, non league and tournament games he played just over 8 games out of 38. The other goalie carried us to being 1 spot out of the playoffs, 1 tournament champ and 1 tournament runner up. If my kid and the other skaters would have scored more than the 2.7 goals per game average we had we would have finished in 2nd or 3rd in the league. Our #1 goalie had a GAA of 3.2 and a save % around .900. The other goalie had a GAA of 7.4 and a save % around .700.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #2:
 April 03, 2023, 10:35:05 AM
I agree that 99% of the post for a goalie are not because the club doesn't have at least one goalie for the team but want a 2nd. I disagree with what your club did. To bring a goalie in after the eval and then to bump the worse goalie off a team is wrong. That goalie was at the eval and placed, if he wasn't good enough he should have been cut outright. Then the club could have posted that they were looking to fill an opening that they created. How did the lack of playing time the year before that help the goalie get better? Maybe if that goalie would have had a fair share of games then they would have been good enough to keep the following year. As a goalie parent myself, I would not allow another goalie to sit like that while my kid played most of the games. Goalie parents are to stick together.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #3:
 April 06, 2023, 06:20:39 AM
1- you get better by practicing. Our goalie 2 went to team practices and the weekly goalie practice. They did not go to any off ice
2- if it weren't for the other goalie 1 and his dad goalie 2 wouldn't have played any tournament games.
3- his parents agreed to it and that's the bottom line. The coach and organization did nothing that the parents didn't agree to.
4- I call BS on you not allowing it. All parents want playing time for their player, especially goalies.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #4:
 April 09, 2023, 02:37:32 PM
Find a team that will allow goalies to compete and earn playing time. No splitting games, no every other game bs. That is going to help your goalie develop more than anything. After a weekend of sitting, their response will tell you all you need to know about their desire to play goal. If they don't have that strong desire, play locally!
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
Guest17836,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #5:
 April 11, 2023, 12:18:29 PM
After day 1 of 18U evals I was wondering if anyone had any info on teams that are in need of 18U goalies. We had more goalies(2) than needed for the amount of skaters. The other parent and I want to get a jump on any possible openings. The 1 goalie is a solid A, played AA in Spring Tournaments and my kid was good enough to scrap by the last few yrs. Looking for Lancaster/Hershey/Lehigh preferred but will go toward Philly.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Rule Question

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 3
Views: 3210
Last post May 04, 2019, 05:21:53 PM
by Youth Hockey Info
NAHL Free Agent Tryout Question

Replies: 4
Views: 17532
Last post April 06, 2022, 10:32:33 PM
by Guest
Atlantic League History question, call history buffs!!!

Replies: 17
Views: 5068
Last post July 21, 2020, 08:59:30 AM
by Guest
Philadelphia Revolution 2010 Question: STOP DELETING THIS POST

Replies: 11
Views: 10181
Last post February 09, 2022, 06:56:55 AM
by Youth Hockey Info