Forum > General Youth Hockey Info

Too many Rinks Not Enough Players

(1/2) > >>

hockeydad321:
Any other rinks seeing issue with player levels at 2012, 2013 & 2014 birth years. Seems there are too many rinks vying for a shrinking pool of players especially at these ages. Too many kids playing AAA and AA/A is suffering. Thoughts?

Guest:
I think it's a combination of AAA and the amount of rinks in certain areas. Our rink will field the same amount of squirt and peewee as last year. We don't really have much competition from other rinks unless you want to drive about a hour each way twice a week for practice.

Guest:
I agree and have seen this.

Cost is a major issue getting in the way. Understood that AAA and AA will have more tournaments, practices, lessons, etc

No idea why A and below needs to be $4,000+ starting at squirt at some places. I've seen talked to several parents, who have kids who still want to play, drop off after squirt or peewee because it's just too much time and money commitment.

Rinks need to reduce the price, reduce number of practices and reduce tournaments. Too many rinks see tournaments as a requirement or right of passage. And in reality, most parents could care less about tournaments. Trust me I've talked to a lot of them.  It's a waste of everyone's time. You can barely beat the 3-4 teams that live within 30 minutes, but you have to drive 5 hours for a mystery tournament? Teams can "bond" with local things.

Do A and B need to practice 2x a week from August through March? NO! Do they need 40+ games? NO!

Cut games, practices in half, charge half. Likely to result in more kids signing up.

Black Bear also did a disservice by buying so many rinks. Some should have been shut down. Question for everyone, how many rinks are withing a 30 minute drive of where you live? If it is more than 2-3, then some should close.

Also, honestly there should only be a handful of AAA teams in PA and NJ.  Quick check, there are about twelve 2010 AAA teams in NJ. The 6th best was ranked 55th in the USA. Honestly anyone below this is pretty much a AA team. Some might even argue teams ranked lower than this are AA. There should only be 3-4 AAA teams in NJ. And it looks like the younger ages are getting even more AAA teams.

If the "advanced" kids are doing full ice mite and AAA teams, then there isnt much left for the kids just getting started. Those kids will drop off at an earlier age

Guest:
The 13s and 14s are very light due to Covid. That is the time frame when a lot of players couldn't get started or stopped due to shutdowns.

Guest:
Don't underestimate the impact that COVID had on youth hockey.  Tons of liberals in this area were afraid to do anything indoors for two years.  It's a lost couple of birth years due to low turnout at the learn to skate feeder programs. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version