Author Topic: Try-out Fees  (Read 9540 times)

Description:

Reply #20:
 March 25, 2019, 02:57:29 PM
I know most DVHL clubs do the whole deposit thing prior to try outs which isn't an evaluation fee, just your first payment. I know VFC is now charging a $100 eval fee, but have heard different answers if that $100 goes toward your season total or not.

The key is if you sign a contract in order to step foot on the ice.  If you do, which is the rule in the DVHL, then you are stuck.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #21:
 March 25, 2019, 03:00:46 PM

The only thing I know is the kid played in NJ that year and wasn't forced to pay anything more to the DVHL team.  He didn't try to recover the "evaluation" fee however.  Maybe the the team didn't pursue the issue because they weren't in the DVHL anymore? I don't know.

At the tryout it's up to the club to decide, there are usually 3 tryout dates. If you get to the second one and decide you want out they'll normally grant release of the contract but its rare they'll give back your fee, normally the first tuition payment around $300. As has already been stated, the club will advise that money paid for ice, practice jersey and/or outside resources for evaluation. I haven't heard of anybody winning that battle when they ask for their fee back unless you can prove hardship. If you complete the tryouts and are placed, that's where it gets dicey. Especially for goalies and kids with noticeable talent. Clubs aren't as inclined to release the player especially if it's to go to another club. They can absolutely hold the family hostage and make the player miss the season. When the season is complete, they can choose to release or demand full payment for the season in order to warrant the release. If they don't pay they can't play in the DVHL, they're put on an advisory ban list until payment is made in full.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #22:
 March 25, 2019, 03:09:29 PM
I know most DVHL clubs do the whole deposit thing prior to try outs which isn't an evaluation fee, just your first payment. I know VFC is now charging a $100 eval fee, but have heard different answers if that $100 goes toward your season total or not.

The key is if you sign a contract in order to step foot on the ice.  If you do, which is the rule in the DVHL, then you are stuck.

The point is the DVHL shouldn't be able to force you to sign the agreement at the first registration. The bylaws conflict AAHA and USAH open tryout rules.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #23:
 March 25, 2019, 03:13:29 PM
A lot of league/club specific rules conflict with AAHA district rules. There's no oversight and complaints go unheard.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #24:
 March 25, 2019, 03:14:54 PM

The only thing I know is the kid played in NJ that year and wasn't forced to pay anything more to the DVHL team.  He didn't try to recover the "evaluation" fee however.  Maybe the the team didn't pursue the issue because they weren't in the DVHL anymore? I don't know.

At the tryout it's up to the club to decide, there are usually 3 tryout dates. If you get to the second one and decide you want out they'll normally grant release of the contract but its rare they'll give back your fee, normally the first tuition payment around $300. As has already been stated, the club will advise that money paid for ice, practice jersey and/or outside resources for evaluation. I haven't heard of anybody winning that battle when they ask for their fee back unless you can prove hardship. If you complete the tryouts and are placed, that's where it gets dicey. Especially for goalies and kids with noticeable talent. Clubs aren't as inclined to release the player especially if it's to go to another club. They can absolutely hold the family hostage and make the player miss the season. When the season is complete, they can choose to release or demand full payment for the season in order to warrant the release. If they don't pay they can't play in the DVHL, they're put on an advisory ban list until payment is made in full.

This is a perfect advertisement for why you should not let you kids play in the DVHL.
Of course the first part about only getting dicey only if you go to the 2nd tryout isn't true based on my experience.  The teams I know have no problem screwing anyone over once they have the parents signature on the contract.  I am sure there are some that are nicer than that...But I wouldn't count on it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #25:
 March 25, 2019, 03:21:24 PM

The point is the DVHL shouldn't be able to force you to sign the agreement at the first registration. The bylaws conflict AAHA and USAH open tryout rules.

I have heard people say that for years but its been the rule for about ten years that I know of... and it has never been changed, and its still there... And every year I hear about clubs still using it to their full advantage.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #26:
 March 25, 2019, 03:22:26 PM
My kid was one of them in this situation 4 seasons ago. He was let out but we had to claim hardship for the release, they kept the $330 tryout fee.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #27:
 March 25, 2019, 03:27:40 PM
I'm hearing that it did go to the AAHA and was responded to as being in violation. If the DVHL knows this and they aren't disseminating the information willfully, I would think there would be cause for the removal of the President at least. I know I'll be asking about it at tryouts.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #28:
 March 25, 2019, 03:33:28 PM
I'm hearing that it did go to the AAHA and was responded to as being in violation. If the DVHL knows this and they aren't disseminating the information willfully, I would think there would be cause for the removal of the President at least. I know I'll be asking about it at tryouts.

The DVHL doesn't share any information at all. That's nothing new there.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #29:
 March 25, 2019, 03:44:01 PM
OK, but if this is the case and we get access to a document stating that, then the DVHL player/parent agreement isn't valid if you're being forced to sign it.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

DVHL hockey team registration fees

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 4
Views: 3801
Last post May 11, 2020, 09:52:36 AM
by Guest
Jags black bear fees for AHF for 2023 season