Author Topic: Tier 2 Evaluation/Tryout Fee  (Read 4566 times)

Description:

Reply #10:
 April 05, 2021, 04:38:04 PM
Technically, even at the younger ages they can cut you. They just have to be able to find you option somewhere else like an in house team. My son's first year of club there was like 12 kids cut from squirts. Even though it was enough kids to field a team, they just didn't have enough ice slots to handle a 4th team.

Clubs usually use the waitlist to put excess players on hold at that age.  They should know going in how many teams they're going to field, they let returning players register then fill in the gaps with waitlist, they shouldn't have let 12 kids skate if they didn't have a roster spot available.  At 14U there isn't a waitlist, you're trying out and can get cut.

I guess I should have mentioned this was about 8 years ago. Our club does do the pre-registration thing these days.

dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #11:
 April 05, 2021, 08:22:24 PM
Essentially by trying out,  I'm committed to the team?  So if I had a tryout for a Tier 2 team (squirts) and was cut, they are giving me a spot on their Tier 3 team.  This is how it's looking as the team now has a Tier 3 charter.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #12:
 April 05, 2021, 08:26:11 PM
Forgot to mention, they are only fielding one Tier 2 squirt team per my previous message.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #13:
 April 06, 2021, 09:15:46 AM
Essentially by trying out,  I'm committed to the team?  So if I had a tryout for a Tier 2 team (squirts) and was cut, they are giving me a spot on their Tier 3 team.  This is how it's looking as the team now has a Tier 3 charter.

I assume if you don't make the T2 team that they can't force you to the T3 team. They just have to give you another option. You should be able to leave and find another T2 club to play for.
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #14:
 April 06, 2021, 02:41:12 PM
what DVHL club is this that is offering a squirt eval and making cuts?
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Reply #15:
 April 07, 2021, 02:50:36 AM
The AAHA dictates to the DVHL what Clubs can and cannot do.  A year or two ago, the AAHA said that Clubs could no longer register returning players 14U thru 8U for evaluations and collect the next season required deposit.  The AAHA decided that all players would have to submit a evaluation or tryout registration fee (The fee is decided upon by each club.  $75 seems respectable as practice jerseys, or numbers are paid for, and sometimes outside evaluators are brought in and paid in addition to the ice fee).  Those clubs charging more than $75 are just making money for club or for the rink if club is owned by a rink.  Ice is only about $300 a sheet for one scheduled session of evals.  Do the math.  Money maker for for someone.  So take a Midget level team, 40 players paying $150 each player is $6000.  Minus the three nights of ice, $900, means $5100 profit for club or owner of rink that owns club. 

NO players are permitted to register for the following season until evaluation night (which was also decided by the AAHA as to when they could start having evaluations based on division group; depending upon season end of a division for the 12U teams and under, and the conclusion of Nationals for the 14U and above AA teams).  Most clubs will require that the 12U and below teams have their players register for the season on the night of evaluations before they are allowed to get on the ice for evaluations.  This locks them in for the season.  However, last year 14U players were added to the 16U and 18U players that could tryout and be cut.  So they do not officially register for the season the night of a registration.  Or shouldn't have to.  It's not fair to expect them to register for the season, knowing they can be cut.  And if you are a player that is hoping to make a higher level team in a division, then you shouldn't be stuck settling for the lower team you may make, especially since they can cut you.  That's my personal opinion on cuts.  There are clubs that will make you register at the upper levels anyway, and where you fall you fall.  Which seems completely fair, but unfair as well.  But at the same time, you do have to provide the DVHL with team projections so scheduling can begin earlier rather than later.  Catch 22 there. 
dislike
angry1
friendly
love
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
type $bl@d6? - all lowercase:

Hollydell 2018 tier 1 status? Is this happening?

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 0
Views: 8494
Last post May 14, 2018, 09:09:33 AM
by Youth Hockey Info
Educate me on Tier 1 Programs

Started by GuestBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 5
Views: 6956
Last post November 21, 2018, 07:46:23 AM
by Guest
Tier 1 vs Tier ll Hockey A to Z - More Bang For the Buck?

Started by Youth Hockey InfoBoard General Youth Hockey Info

Replies: 19
Views: 35522
Last post June 29, 2020, 08:41:10 AM
by Guest
Revolution Youth Tier II

Started by RevolutionBoard Youth Hockey Info Center

Replies: 0
Views: 9151
Last post March 06, 2019, 12:36:45 PM
by Revolution
Revolution Youth Tier ll NEW PRICING!